PDA

View Full Version : Bandit 250 - False neutral or damaged gear box?

Beren
17th May 2011, 09:19
Hi, over the last couple of days I have been experiencing a false nuetral between 2nd and 3rd. With my whole 3 weeks of riding experience I am not certain if I am just not being positive enough on the gear change or if there is damage to the gear box.

I do know that in learning I have certainly given the gearbox a pretty hard time - really hoping that inexperience hasn't caused me to damage the gears.

Anyone else had issues with flase nuetral issues on a GSF250? The bike is a 1998 with just over 20,000km's on the clock - So I wouldn't expect it to be failing from general wear and tear... though I think the clutch has had a hard time under previous ownership and while I am getting better it had a pretty rough time for the first thou k's I did with it too!

James Deuce
17th May 2011, 09:30
1. Check your chain tension. Adjust if required. Then check for false neutrals.

If it's still doing it then:

2. Take to motorcycle shop to get bent 3rd gear selector fork replaced.

Unlike you I would expect gearbox damage in a 250 with multiple owners. But then I'm horrible like that.

Beren
17th May 2011, 11:56
Hmmm pretty certain it isn't chain tension, did the chain lube and checked tension before I went out for a ride Saturday and it was all good. Just out of interest why would a loose chain cause a false nuetral?

I wasn't saying I didn't think abuse could have casued damage - just that I wouldn't have expected it from general wear. I have given it a hard time on a few occasions myself while getting the co-ordination between right hand, left hand and left boot!

Any recommendations on where to source parts from if I want to do the work myself? I have an expert I can call on if required, would choose to do it when I get to 24,000 as was going to give it a major service then anyway.

James Deuce
17th May 2011, 12:09
Correct chain tension helps positive dog engagement in the gearbox ensuring the selected gear both gets selected and stays in gear by keeping the driveline loaded.

An overtight chain will increase wear dramatically.

Contact your local Suzuki dealer for info on gearbox parts, but bear in mind that I diagnosed this on an Internet forum. It would be a good idea to get the diagnosis done by a professional.

For all I know you may have dwarves mining the case hardening off your gear teeth.

JimO
17th May 2011, 12:16
positive dog engagement i .

indeed.........

cbfb
17th May 2011, 15:59
Get it a bit on mine, gives you a bit of a fright but it just needs a bit more boot sometimes.

ducatilover
17th May 2011, 16:06
It is most likely your left boot use.
It could also be an oil issue, I've had bikes with boxes (hehehe :nya:) that feel like poo and get false neutrals often, but, changing the oil fixed them (Except the GPZ400 that shat the selector shaft...)

Ender EnZed
17th May 2011, 16:18
Hi, over the last couple of days I have been experiencing a false nuetral between 2nd and 3rd.

Does it happen every time or just sometimes? If making a conscious effort to be more positive with your boot stops it happening I wouldn't do anything other than ride it.

Hopeful Bastard
17th May 2011, 16:44
Get used to PROPERLY shifting with your boots.

It always used to happen to me.. Then i thought stuff it. I'll risk my feet today and put some sneakers on. Turned out I wasn't shifting up/down hard enough.

Put my boots back on and shifted properly and Haven't had a problem since

Beren
17th May 2011, 20:11
LOL well after much concern this morning some positive boot action on the way home from work saw the issue solved :woohoo: Thanks for the advice guys :yes:

The Everlasting
17th May 2011, 20:20
I had the same problem when i first started riding,but you just gotta put your boot up her,and then it's all good..:D

boman
17th May 2011, 21:27
I owned a Bandit 250. It was a common occurance to get that false nuetral. It was put down to wear and tear and a new rider. Clean oil helped, but not that much.