PDA

View Full Version : Kick start farked.

HungusMaximist
21st May 2011, 10:48
Here's the back ground, I go riding along the road, my axle nut that holds the axle bolt together springs out. I lose power, luckily the bike didn't crap out.

So bought it back home, kick start it, it sorta kicks over then leave for a day or two the kick start has pretty much little resistance. I go and kick it, it goes all the way through to 6 o clock then 5 o clock as if there's nothing stopping it. Forgot to mention that it feels kinda crunchy around 7 and 8 o clock, like a bit of grindage, just slightly but quite noticeable.

K, something has broken in there, a spring, a spline..

But how the heck does this relate to me losing the nut? Or not.

unstuck
21st May 2011, 11:19
Sounds like the whole bike needs a major overhaul.Axle nut has nothing to do with kickstarter crapping out.:sunny:

FJRider
21st May 2011, 11:30
Sounds like the kick-start is one of the better bits ... :yes:

The kick-start turns the motor over ... and NO resistance means ... no compression ... :blink:

CRUNCHY means ... :shit:

Latte
21st May 2011, 11:33
Try bump starting in 2nd. If it a) starts or b) turns over then it's probably the kick start mechanism alone thats knackered. If it locks up completely, or makes horrible grinding noises there's a good chance something else is to blame.

HungusMaximist
21st May 2011, 12:37
Engine should be fine but won't know until I bump start it

I had to pull the right hand crank case cover open 2 months back and had to replace the gasket, it was a slight bitch putting it all back in together as everything would go outta alignment, so had to do it, with the bike lying down.

Katman
23rd May 2011, 09:18
On the CT110s the kickstarter operates through the centrifugal clutch.

Taz
23rd May 2011, 10:28
Sounds like someone has been a bit slack on the maintenence side of things.

HungusMaximist
23rd May 2011, 11:15
Sounds like someone has been a bit slack on the maintenence side of things.

Well, how was I suppose to know that my kick start was gonna go bust?

I've only opened crank case cover once, so perhaps I farked it up.

Plus it's a old used postie that's done close to 50,000 km, on a 110 cc engine.

BuzzardNZ
23rd May 2011, 12:46
why don't you send out a post requesting to borrow another KB'ers bike while you fix the CT?

SilentDtH
25th May 2011, 07:42
Do those bikes have an auto decompressor cam?
It might have jammed close the valve causing no compression?

May pay to take a look inside the rocker cover.

I'm not a mechanic but I have had a problem with no compression when kicking over on my bike - Honda CL400.

HungusMaximist
25th May 2011, 14:51
Define no compression?

As in, when I kick it, there is no resistance?

SilentDtH
26th May 2011, 09:33
Yeah, no resistance. Almost like its not 'biting'. It's a weird symptom because it feels like the kick pedal is not pushing on anything, almost like it's not engaged any more. That's why I thought the problem was in the pedal, but after months of investigation it was actually in the decompressor cam. The cam has worn into an oval shape and is slopping around on the cam shaft. I've arranged for an engineer to remove the cam as several forums on the XR 400 (XR 400 motor is similar to CL 400) suggest you don't need it. I have also ordered a stage 1 hotcam from the states :D

HungusMaximist
27th May 2011, 15:32
Right, we're getting more technical than I can usually handle.

I think it does kick, like there is resistance definitely but the kick start doesn't stop. Usually there's a point in the kick cycle when you kick it with your feet, it actually stops, like there's a lock to prevent it to go further than the limit.

SilentDtH
28th May 2011, 04:44
Ah, sounds a bit different to the symptoms I'm talking about.
Katman might have the right answer after a quick google, someone talked about replacing clutch plates.

try: http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=ct110s+kick+start+problem

Sorry I can't be of any further assistance.

HungusMaximist
28th May 2011, 10:41
The only remedy in this situation is to actually open the crank case cover up..

Which is bit of a big deal.

unstuck
28th May 2011, 10:43
The only remedy in this situation is to actually open the crank case cover up..

Which is bit of a big deal.
Did you try crash starting it??:blink: