PDA

View Full Version : Cow shit!

Mom
31st May 2011, 20:20
Fucken Cow Shit!

Filthy, Corrosive, Offensive, Diseased, Disgusting, Slippery, Dangerous, Shit!

I am over it, totally and completely over it. It stinks, it damages road surfaces and paintwork, nothing is harder to see through than a film of green shit being thrown up from the vehicle in front on your visor, at night, on wet roads!

My campaign against stock trucks dumping shit on the roads starts now! I should say it regains momentum :yes:

It is illegal, but a real problem. Truckies blame farmers for not hold stock overnight in yards to "empty", then there is the lack of dump points.

The best they can do is leave a filthy trail of green, foul and disgusting shit on our roads. It is high time that this issue is addressed.

jaffaonajappa
31st May 2011, 20:23
Yummm. Hamburgers :)

Ooops. Yep, agreed. Its going to cause accidents.....preventable ones. (Where katman when ya need him?)

Has this been raised with our new fandangled motorcylicng $30 a year thingy group?

awa355
31st May 2011, 20:28
Fucken Cow Shit!

I am over it, totally and completely over it. It stinks, it damages road surfaces and paintwork, nothing is harder to see through than a film of green shit being thrown up from the vehicle in front on your visor, at night, on wet roads!

My campaign against stock trucks dumping shit on the roads starts now! I should say it regains momentum :yes:

It is illegal, but a real problem. Truckies blame farmers for not hold stock overnight in yards to "empty", then there is the lack of dump points.

The best they can do is leave a filthy trail of green, foul and disgusting shit on our roads. It is high time that this issue is addressed.

Hang on!!! It's only stewed grass,, Dont tell me you dont support NZ's green image. :shutup:

Geeen
31st May 2011, 20:31
There's nothing like the smell of cowshit on a hot exhaust, oh the memories :rolleyes:
But yes it is a Bastard of a thing to hit unexpectedly.

Mom
31st May 2011, 20:37
Yummm. Hamburgers :)

Ooops. Yep, agreed. Its going to cause accidents.....preventable ones. (Where katman when ya need him?)

Has this been raised with our new fandangled motorcylicng $30 a year thingy group?

No idea, but they are not in the business of dealing with cow shit, they are busy meeting, and talking, and writing policy, and testing things and generally being very busy doing good work and meeting important deadlines, and launching websites etc.

Oh, and it is not going to cause accidents is DOES cause accidents, either as a result of lack of traction after riding into a shit slick, a lack of visibility after being blinded by the filthy green film of revoltingness, or a degredation of the road surface where cattle cross the road.

Seriously, if you have ever tasted cow shit and piss you would not joke about it...

Have you ever heard of leptospirosis? Comes from animal urine, that is part of the green liquid that comes out of stock trucks :puke:

Mom
31st May 2011, 20:44
Couldn't agree more, 36 years ago when they handed me my full license I read in the text that I was now an accomplished, experienced, expert rider :facepalm:

36 years later, I am astonished that they let me out on the streets with such a lack of understanding and lack of knowledge of the skills and mindset I needed to stay alive.

Passing your full test on a bike means you are entitled to ride a motorcycle on the roads, that's it, nothing more. It doesn't mean you are any good at it, it doesn't mean you won't cock it up at the first opportunity and every subsequent one come to think of it.

I have personally done and passed every conceivable motor vehicle training course ever devised over the years, high speed, low speed, skid pan, frangjipan. way too many to list or remember.

Despite all this training and despite 36 two wheeled years on the Tarmac, there is never a ride goes by where I don't learn something new, never a ride goes by where I don't try to improve my skills and observation (not always successfully), still, on the evolutionary scale of a motorcyclists journey, I am barely walking upright yet.

Humans design parameters specify a maximum cruising speed of 8KPH, we were never meant to pilot a big unstable lump of metal around at any speed, it ain't easy, it needs lots of training, practice and skill to accomplish, even to an OK standard.

PS; Today's lesson was: whilst it is OK to use a big 4x4 as a shield as 200+ beefies meander their way past you, moving off close behind a big 4x4 after 200+ beeffies have meandered their way past you, with your visor open is not OK, not unless you like being force fed a cow shit missile from the rear wheels of a 4x4. :shit:

Many apologies for cross quoting you Martybabe, but this thread is just for you :yes:

Oblivion
31st May 2011, 20:51
The smell you get when they truck sheep around is just as bad to be honest.

Swoop
31st May 2011, 20:53
I thought that "Hondas shat rainbows"???:scratch:

Maha
31st May 2011, 20:56
I followed a stock truck through the Dome last week that was trailing effluent out the back. Not a lot to be honest but, I was about to *555. Decided against it because was a minimal amount. Looking back perhaps I should have, its the first time I have actually followed a truck while it was happening.

Fatt Max
31st May 2011, 21:05
Seriously, if you have ever tasted cow shit and piss you would not joke about it...

So, you've had one of my Mother In Law's roasts then....

JMemonic
31st May 2011, 21:06
Animal excrement on the road is admittedly never pleasant, locally we have sludge on the roads, human excrement mixed with sand, it dries on the road to a fine dust and well slippery does not describe it.

unstuck
31st May 2011, 21:07
Something I have been discussing with our local council for a couple of weeks now, and dont seem to be able to find anyone to take this issue seriously. We have 2 really bad problem areas in gore for this at the moment,both at roundabouts and one very close to the center of town on the heavy traffic bypass.The bridge out of town heading east towards balclutha and duneidin is just about completely green.Once we get a decent rain or frost this is going to be a real problem for motorists. Apparently there is not much the council or police can do at the moment, which seems a bit of a cop out to me. :blink:

Maha
31st May 2011, 21:07
I thought that "Hondas shat rainbows"???:scratch:

Only the special ones....:yes:

Mom
31st May 2011, 21:15
Apparently there is not much the council or police can do at the moment, which seems a bit of a cop out to me. :blink:

Yeah, and that is what I have been told for years, and years and years. Lockwood Smith is my local MP, I used to write to him often about this issue, I have let it slide a bit recently, though the passion is still strong.

You are where? About as far from me as you can get, and it is an issue for you. I am picking it is an issue for lots of riders, betwen here and there. We should talk :yes:

Fatt Max
31st May 2011, 21:16
Seriously though, I hade my first bike v crap near miss a couple of weeks ago just outside Whitford.

Its the old 'road conditions' deal again on an accident report, so I assume there are no statistics to state how many accidents were attributed to this problem. Is it worth lobbying the police to review how accident scene reports are compiled.....didnt a few of us suggest that a while ago.....ho hum....

Cyclists, do they have the same issue? I am sure they do. Are they worth teaming up with?

At the end of the day if it is illeagal to dump the crap then us as citizens have the right to report it and start dobbing these bastards in....I believe that has been referred to as 'personal' action.

But hey, WTFDIK........

nighthawk
31st May 2011, 21:29
Something I have been discussing with our local council for a couple of weeks now, and dont seem to be able to find anyone to take this issue seriously. We have 2 really bad problem areas in gore for this at the moment,both at roundabouts and one very close to the center of town on the heavy traffic bypass.The bridge out of town heading east towards balclutha and duneidin is just about completely green.Once we get a decent rain or frost this is going to be a real problem for motorists. Apparently there is not much the council or police can do at the moment, which seems a bit of a cop out to me. :blink:

There will be nothing done about this until a member of your local government is affected by this, then watch the shit fly,(pun intended).
I have often been intrigued with one vehilce accidents on country roads and wondered if besides speed or alcohol the coating of merde in the early morning or late evening is a major contributor to the resulting event.
The popular theme from the Authorities is speed and alcohol because that fits with the current funding campaign.
Just my two cents....

unstuck
31st May 2011, 21:30
A couple of the trucking firms I have talked to about this issue have basically said get over it, they cant stop cows from shitting. Money talks i guess, and cows are money.We have a couple of effluent disposal stops down this way but rarley see them being used.Have just gotten action from the council on another matter after getting the local paper involved,so will be talking to the reporter again tomorrow to see if we can get some sort of name and shame pictures printed in the paper or something.Would not be hard to stand at some of these trouble spots and get a few pics of these trucks spewing shit all over the road.:yes:

Oblivion
31st May 2011, 21:35
A couple of the trucking firms I have talked to about this issue have basically said get over it, they cant stop cows from shitting. Money talks i guess, and cows are money.We have a couple of effluent disposal stops down this way but rarley see them being used.Have just gotten action from the council on another matter after getting the local paper involved,so will be talking to the reporter again tomorrow to see if we can get some sort of name and shame pictures printed in the paper or something.Would not be hard to stand at some of these trouble spots and get a few pics of these trucks spewing shit all over the road.:yes:

Thats the typical response that you would get from any of these firms. They think that they can get away with it because no one cares that they are doing it, or even that they can complain about it since it is illegal. The more you hassle them without any support, the less likely any change is going to be made.

Geeen
31st May 2011, 21:46
Just as a heads up the next day or so are gunna be more noticeable for this as tomorrow is June 1st, contract changeover for rural NZ, so lots of Herds going to new farms either by truck or walking. Take care out there. :scooter:

jaffaonajappa
31st May 2011, 21:49

Have you ever heard of leptospirosis? Comes from animal urine, that is part of the green liquid that comes out of stock trucks :puke:

Spent three years as a cow cockey straight out of school. Good memories. Good healthy work ethics created too. Still remember the first wet cow patch I ran over on a trike at speed - but by that time id learnt what cow shit was about. Was the acidic cow piss that slowly started to stuff up my skin, but the docs reckoned it was the milk. hmmmm.

But moving stock on the roads.
Yep, its a danger to motorists. Both the stock themselves, and their crap.

What is it going to take to fix it? Money. Either the farmers will pay, or the general taxpayer will fund. Its an election year -but arguably too late in the year to get something sorted out in time. And the country (non biking perhaps? debatable?) is more focused on funding Chch, Education, and Health. Soon, I hope we do a check on how the governemtns stripping its public sector to the bones.....but the pain from that might still be a year away. Ooops....I wandered.....yep, its a danger to motorists. But is there a solution we can afford right now?

Old Steve
31st May 2011, 21:52
I came through the Ohinewai, Tahuna road on Sunday. While I didn't strike a stock truck, I did notice that my visor got covered with the insect life drawn to fields sprayed with manure and spreading out over the road. I stopped at Tahuna, and again at Waharoa, to clean my visor.

This visual impairment was only noticeable on the Tahuna Road. My headlight was a real mess when I got home.

Squiggles
31st May 2011, 22:10
Report it...
Auckland Council Feedback (http://www.aucklandtransport.govt.nz/online-services/feedback/general-feedback.aspx)
For Urgent matters ph (09)3553553 (supposedly 24/7)

baptist
31st May 2011, 23:30

:eek: For a minute I thought you was going to ask Mom to put it in a pie for you. :shutup::innocent:

You guys have my sympathy, I don't ride near farms but in the UK had a few nasty situations with cows and what they leave on the road :sick:, lazy couldn't care a toss attitudes from farmers and truckies could end up killing someone.

avgas
1st June 2011, 00:01
Nah they just cruise the coro loop and tell us from the telemetry it looks like a road.

Fatt Max
1st June 2011, 07:20
No idea, but they are not in the business of dealing with cow shit, they are busy meeting, and talking, and writing policy, and testing things and generally being very busy doing good work and meeting important deadlines, and launching websites etc.

Hang on a minute now,

The MSAC have been set up to deal with safety issues on our roads that affect motorcyclists. Now, us 'whinging townies' are finding a bit of common ground in so much that there are quite a few who have been affected and want to see something positive done about it.

So, why dont we challenge the MSAC to take up and address what is a bone fide road safety issue. Remember, they have the call on the $30 we pay in and they represent motorcyclists.......

Thats my $0.02 (of $30 as the case may be).....

jellywrestler
1st June 2011, 07:26
Fucken Cow Shit!

Worst weekend of the year this one being Gypsy weekend too.
Watch out for it

martybabe
1st June 2011, 07:57
Many apologies for cross quoting you Martybabe, but this thread is just for you :yes:

Yay a thread about shit just for me :laugh: .

Acshully, I just remembered whynotslow was telling me about avoiding back roads in June, annual change farm month or something ? The thing is, my particular herd of moo cows were strolling along SH3 for almost 10k! dropping shit and piss for miles, how is this allowed.
Also it looked like a major undertaking for the utes and bikes, over that distance on a major highway causing mayhem for traffic and spreading muck everywhere surely a truck would have been a better bet. I know nothing about these things but, I may live rural but I don't liverural. Big bastards when they surround your bike eh.

Mom
1st June 2011, 18:00
Hang on a minute now...

Now, us 'whinging townies' are finding a bit of common ground in so much that there are quite a few who have been affected and want to see something positive done about it.

Speak for yourself mate, I am a whinging country gal up here. I have whinged to the best of them over the years about cow shit, I have been quoted in rural newspapers blasting the practice of dumping shit on our roads...

Oh, I doubt the MS what its name will be wanting to do anything about shit either.

Oleg
1st June 2011, 18:08
That all sounds waaaay to familiar. Got stuck behind tree truck. felt uncomfortable overtaking. bad idea. got force fed through an open visor. look at the bright side - got a free dark green tint on the bike......

jtzzr
1st June 2011, 19:23
Walking through the beehive probably has the same effect, (Can you imagine the bullshit you have to go through, at least it`s not knee deep on the roads).
I`m with you 100% MOM.

Old Steve
1st June 2011, 20:41
Stop moaning about it and log on to motonz.org.nz and enter a complaint in the "contact us" section.

At least there's someone there to read your compaints, your $30 is paying them. I contacted them about the tar bleeds on the Hikuai-Kopu road. I figure if I ever have a tar bleed induced accident on that road then I can give ACC bloody hell because I proactively warned MOTONZ about it.

matdaymon
1st June 2011, 20:55
Sorry to skip 2 pages of thread but...

Don't forget the other stuff. Tis a lot harder to pick up on and makes YOU smell disgusting, normally long after the offending truck has been long overtaken so making a complaint isn't an option.
I turned up to uni one day after following one such truck along the motorway... wasn't a good look showing up to a class filled with hot Comm's girls smelling like piss :facepalm:

jaffaonajappa
1st June 2011, 21:10
wasn't a good look showing up to a class filled with hot Comm's girls smelling like piss :facepalm:

Tell them hotties that your now single, seems your Ex didnt like your leathers?
Might work for a day or two.....

Shadows
2nd June 2011, 00:27
I followed a stock truck through the Dome last week that was trailing effluent out the back. Not a lot to be honest but, I was about to *555. Decided against it because was a minimal amount. Looking back perhaps I should have, its the first time I have actually followed a truck while it was happening.

Thats the typical response that you would get from any of these firms. They think that they can get away with it because no one cares that they are doing it, or even that they can complain about it since it is illegal. The more you hassle them without any support, the less likely any change is going to be made.

If there's stock on the truck at the time, it isn't illegal for it to be spewing shit all over the road. Sad but true.

unstuck
2nd June 2011, 06:10
If there's stock on the truck at the time, it isn't illegal for it to be spewing shit all over the road. Sad but true.

Thats what i keep getting told,but if I cart my digger or bulldozer around covered in mud I can be pulled over by the god squad and fined.:blink:

Mom
2nd June 2011, 06:25
Walking through the beehive probably has the same effect, (Can you imagine the bullshit you have to go through, at least it`s not knee deep on the roads).
I`m with you 100% MOM.

Hey you! Far too, far too! And you have just given me a really cool idea :lol:

July, birthday month, be prepared for a trip north :yes:

oldrider
2nd June 2011, 07:22
This shit scattering is getting worse because no one is accountable for it! :confused:

Stupid unpoliceable laws like, "cell phone use while driving", just quietly slip back into vogue and nobody does anything about it! :facepalm:

Cowshit all over the road is at it's peak at this time of the year! :sick:

sinfull
2nd June 2011, 08:07
Sorry to say, but i'm one of the "get over it" crew !
Stock needs to be moved .

oneofsix
2nd June 2011, 08:13
Sorry to say, but i'm one of the "get over it" crew !
Stock needs to be moved .

you a so right the stock does need to move BUT when you are trucking it things can and should be done to prevent the shit getting all over the roads.

Fatt Max
2nd June 2011, 08:18
Speak for yourself mate, I am a whinging country gal up here. I have whinged to the best of them over the years about cow shit, I have been quoted in rural newspapers blasting the practice of dumping shit on our roads...

Oh, I doubt the MS what its name will be wanting to do anything about shit either.

My attitude is lets challenge them on it. Its an issue, it is a danger and its offensive, all to motorcyclists. I am sure cyclists feel the same way, always liked the idea of getting that lot on board, the lycra louts would be good allies...?

At the very least it is worth a challenge to the MSAC, stir the shit up so to speak.

From what I read it sounds like a law change is required. Fine. Will the MSAC looby for that change on our behalf etc etc..? If not, why the fuck not etc etc.

MrKiwi
2nd June 2011, 12:43
Just announced today

Operation Green Line
Operation Green Line’ coincides with the start of the ‘gypsy’ season, a two-month period across June and July when large numbers of stock are shifted from farm to farm.

MOTO NZ Chairperson, Dr Gareth Morgan, says although progress has been made on this issue it remains too common a hazard for road users and for motorcyclists it’s particularly dangerous.

We are launching an appeal to all road users to report spillages. “It’s not a case of dobbing in farmers or truck drivers – we’re after better data on the extent and location of these problems so we can work with the livestock industry to improve compliance with the guidelines,” says Morgan.

Motorcyclists – and car drivers - are encouraged to report any effluent spills by texting DUNG to 244 or they can go to the MOTO NZ website www.motonz.org.nz and file a quick report.

Fatt Max
2nd June 2011, 12:50
Just announced today

Operation Green Line
Operation Green Line’ coincides with the start of the ‘gypsy’ season, a two-month period across June and July when large numbers of stock are shifted from farm to farm.

MOTO NZ Chairperson, Dr Gareth Morgan, says although progress has been made on this issue it remains too common a hazard for road users and for motorcyclists it’s particularly dangerous.

We are launching an appeal to all road users to report spillages. “It’s not a case of dobbing in farmers or truck drivers – we’re after better data on the extent and location of these problems so we can work with the livestock industry to improve compliance with the guidelines,” says Morgan.

Motorcyclists – and car drivers - are encouraged to report any effluent spills by texting DUNG to 244 or they can go to the MOTO NZ website www.motonz.org.nz and file a quick report.

Looks like a dung deal...

MrKiwi
2nd June 2011, 12:52
yep, it's not bullsh!t either

merv
2nd June 2011, 18:07
Every time I see the thread header for this I chuckle and keep thinking it should be a story about a rellie of cowpoos, but instead it really is about cow shit :sunny:

avgas
2nd June 2011, 18:53
you a so right the stock does need to move BUT when you are trucking it things can and should be done to prevent the shit getting all over the roads.
Yep. Will happen same day that all motorcyclist abide to speed limits.
Sounds fair really.

Howie
2nd June 2011, 19:09
I wonder if this part of the act could be used to penalise those trucking companys that don't follow the guide lines.

Land Transport Act 1998 No 110 (as at 01 May 2011), Public Act

36A Contravention of section 22A

(1) A person commits an offence if the person—

(a) operates a motor vehicle in a race, or in an unnecessary exhibition of speed or acceleration, on a road in contravention of section 22A(1); or

(b) without reasonable excuse, intentionally pours onto, places on, or allows to spill onto a road—

(i) any petrol, oil, or diesel fuel; or

(ii) any other substance likely to cause a vehicle to undergo loss of traction; or

(c) without reasonable excuse, operates a motor vehicle on a road in a manner that causes the vehicle to undergo sustained loss of traction in contravention of section 22A(3).

(2) A person commits an indictable offence if the person commits an offence against subsection (1)(a) or (c), and by that act or omission causes an injury to or the death of another person.

(3) A person who commits an offence against subsection (1)(a) or (c) that is an indictable offence is liable to the penalties set out in section 36(2), and section 36(2) and (3) apply as if the offence were an offence against section 36(1)(a) (such as operating a motor vehicle recklessly on a road, and by that act or omission causing an injury to or the death of another person).

(4) A person who commits an offence against subsection (1)(a) or (c) that is not an indictable offence is liable to the penalties set out in section 35(2), and section 35(2) and (3) apply as if the offence were an offence against section 35(1)(a) (operating a motor vehicle recklessly on a road).

(5) A person who commits an offence against subsection (1)(b) is liable to a fine not exceeding $3,000.

Section 36A: inserted, on 2 May 2003, by section 6 of the Land Transport (Unauthorised Street and Drag Racing) Amendment Act 2003 (2003 No 11)."

or can it only be applied during illegal street racing???

MrKiwi
2nd June 2011, 19:16
good question, any legal beagles care to answer?

Ender EnZed
2nd June 2011, 19:52
It's not intentional.

Also, cows shit. Get the fuck over it and ride accordingly.

Howie
2nd June 2011, 20:12
It's not intentional.

By not controling it, when there is technology avaliable to do so it is intentional.

Fortunately the behaviour of "that’s the way it's been done for decades" has changed in a lot of industries, leading to improvements in health and safety for both those in the industry, and those affected by it. Unfortunately a minority in the livestock/transport industry don't seem to be able to move into modern times where slack practices need to be changed.

Ender EnZed
2nd June 2011, 20:32
By not controling it, when there is technology avaliable to do so it is intentional.

It's not as obviously intentional as pouring diesel on the road then doing a burnout. I doubt trucking companies are going to be made to change by existing boy racer legislation.

Maha
2nd June 2011, 20:42
It's not intentional.

At times it is, its not always caused by gravity.
Thats why there are stock effluent dump stations around...so the driver can dump the shit slop ...'intentionally'.
But, time is money and why stop when you can slip it out the back...when no one is looking.

Mom
2nd June 2011, 20:56
It's not intentional.

Ah, here speaketh a man that has never eaten shit.

Ride accordingly he says...

Fair enough. Answer me these then, all I have personally experienced.

On a wet road with a stream of shit in one tyre track, how should I avoid eating the shit that flicks up of the vehicle in front of me's rear tyres? How do I avoid getting my visor covered with a green film that wont wipe off?

How do I avoid a slick of wet shit in the dark when I cant actually see the thing in the first place, I can smell it, but dark green shit looks the same as dark tarmac in the DARK!

Following a truck obviously spewing shit out the back, how should I ride to avoid the hazard? Rural roads, no overtaling possiblities?

Riding a rural road, how should I avoid the sudden loss of surface integrity due to the corrosive effects of shit? What is more, why should I have to PAY to repair this damage.

I could go on...

Ender EnZed
2nd June 2011, 21:17
On a wet road with a stream of shit in one tyre track, how should I avoid eating the shit that flicks up of the vehicle in front of me's rear tyres? How do I avoid getting my visor covered with a green film that wont wipe off?

Increase your following distance.

How do I avoid a slick of wet shit in the dark when I cant actually see the thing in the first place, I can smell it, but dark green shit looks the same as dark tarmac in the DARK!

Maybe see an optometrist. Do you wear glasses? I do. Without them I can't read the N at the top of the chart. With them on I've never ridden over anything I didn't see first.

Following a truck obviously spewing shit out the back, how should I ride to avoid the hazard? Rural roads, no overtaling possiblities?

Increase your following distance.

Riding a rural road, how should I avoid the sudden loss of surface integrity due to the corrosive effects of shit?

Rural road? Surface integrity?

Clearly you've coped with this problem in the past, do more of whatever worked last time.

What is more, why should I have to PAY to repair this damage.

I don't really have a response to this but then your argument isn't primarily an economic one is it? As it happens, I'm fine with people taking less of my money.

Ender EnZed
2nd June 2011, 21:21
Thats why there are stock effluent dump stations around...so the driver can dump the shit slop ...'intentionally'.
But, time is money and why stop when you can slip it out the back...when no one is looking.

Maybe I should've made my seperate points a bit clearer. The "intentional" part was just a response to the bit of boy racer legislation.

I'm not defending truck drivers here.

MrKiwi
2nd June 2011, 21:43
Maybe I should've made my seperate points a bit clearer. The "intentional" part was just a response to the bit of boy racer legislation.

I'm not defending truck drivers here.

The whole point is that the actions of the farmers and the truckies through carelessness are causing problems for other road users, dangerous problems. It's called an externality - ie shift my problem onto someone else rather than dealing with it yourself. The farmers and the trucking firms have adequate means to control the problem, stand the stock for a few hours before moving them etc. Instead they prefer to create problems for others. Increasing your distance isn't going to help when you have greasy shit all over the road. There is no excuse for it.

Maha
2nd June 2011, 21:56
The whole point is that the actions of the farmers and the truckies through carelessness are causing problems for other road users, dangerous problems. It's called an externality - ie shift my problem onto someone else rather than dealing with it yourself. The farmers and the trucking firms have adequate means to control the problem, stand the stock for a few hours before moving them etc. Instead they prefer to create problems for others. Increasing your distance isn't going to help when you have greasy shit all over the road. There is no excuse for it.

...and here is the voice (or in this case, words) of reason.
In a few short sentences, the problem/cause and remedy have been explained.
Great post MrKiwi.:yes:

Ender EnZed
2nd June 2011, 21:57
shift my problem onto someone else rather than dealing with it yourself.

I'm just going to make this bigger.

The farmers and the trucking firms have adequate means to control the problem

So do we. Or at least I do, maybe I'm just a riding God?

Increasing your distance isn't going to help when you have greasy shit all over the road.

It'll stop the shit being thrown onto you, which seemed to be the problem. As for what's left on the road; yes, it reduces the available traction. So does water. Should we put time and effort into making it rain less?

Maha
2nd June 2011, 22:08
maybe I'm just a riding God?

It'll stop the shit being thrown onto you, which seemed to be the problem. As for what's left on the road; yes, it reduces the available traction. So does water. Should we put time and effort into making it rain less?

Surely you are not suggesting that a motorbike has the same level of traction with stock effluent on the road as it would with rain on the road?...Mr riding God?
I know someone with one leg permanantly shorter than the other that would dissagree with that theory.

avgas
2nd June 2011, 22:11
Poo poos in the mouth taste bad.

Not a good idea to have mouth open when poo poos is flying.

Whata shit fight.

jaffaonajappa
2nd June 2011, 22:23
hehehehe. I think we have a Farmer in our midst.

I like farmers. But they can be quite one-eyed at times.
Being one-eyed has perks tho.....open the other one once the first one get spattered with cow poos...but remain one-eyed.

Ender EnZed
2nd June 2011, 22:24
Surely you are not suggesting that a motorbike has the same level of traction with stock effluent on the road as it would with rain on the road?...Mr riding God?

I'm not. Nor was I suggesting I'm a riding God.

What I am suggesting is that everyone is (or should be) quite capable of dealing with rain on the road. Or shit. Or gravel. Or the greasy patches where the surface has lifted off and left fuck all behind. These are features of our roads that we know are there and can allow for.

Ender EnZed
2nd June 2011, 22:30
hehehehe. I think we have a Farmer in our midst.

I hope you're not talking about me. I've never lived outside of a city and I wouldn't know the difference between a romney and a big rabbit.

Winston001
2nd June 2011, 23:25
NZ is an agrarian nation, most of our wealth comes from agriculture. Dairy cows are a significant part of that. Most of the time truck effluent tanks hold any manure but there's going to be occasional spillage. For a short time mainly in June, a lot of stock are moved and there is more spillage than usual. Its also winter and the rain washes it away.

It just seems a benign fact of life. There's nothing dirty or bad about cow manure, exhaust fumes from vehicles contain far more active hydrocarbons - and we willingly ride amongst that.

I'm in a minority but occasional dung on the road doesn't bother me. There is very little compared with years ago.

unstuck
3rd June 2011, 06:50
Only ever rides around duneidin and has never really ridden on rural roads.And Winston001, you obviously spend too much time in your cowshed and not enough time riding around on some of southlands roads at the moment.In Gore,the heavy traffic bypass and the bridge heading east are green,so it is not just a bit of shit,it is a near constant stream of shit.Truckies are having a laugh about this at the moment because a few of them are opening up going PAST an effluent dump at clinton on sh1.I work in cowshit most of the day and dont want to be driving or riding in it after work too.If it is chewing up tar seal,what is it going to do to paint.But no one is willing to take any action to see changes made.

Fatt Max
3rd June 2011, 07:32
I like farmers..

So do I, especially the lingerie department.......oh sorry, wrong thread....

oneofsix
3rd June 2011, 07:53
So do I, especially the lingerie department.......oh sorry, wrong thread....

Now you know why it is called Farmers

BAY CITY MOTORCYCLES
3rd June 2011, 09:02
Just announced today

Operation Green Line

Thanks for saving me having to type all of that out! :yes:

Personally I have more issues with the deisel that they drop on the road but no one likes a mouthful of poohs 'n wees :blink:

Fatt Max
3rd June 2011, 11:01
Now you know why it is called Farmers

No, why is it called Farmers oh Oneofsix..??

oneofsix
3rd June 2011, 11:23
No, why is it called Farmers oh Oneofsix..??

Because their lingerie department attacks the lonely farmers.
Ok it made more sense before my morning coffee kicked in, or should I blame it on low blood sugar, need more chocolate.

imdying
3rd June 2011, 11:35
Mom, you won't get any satisfaction through the government, you'll need to get it yourself. Decent sized Z nails thrown into the path of the shitty truck you've just had to overtake should do it.

Ender EnZed
3rd June 2011, 14:51
Only ever rides around duneidin and has never really ridden on rural roads.And Winston001, you obviously spend too much time in your cowshed and not enough time riding around on some of southlands roads at the moment.In Gore,the heavy traffic bypass and the bridge heading east are green,so it is not just a bit of shit,it is a near constant stream of shit.Truckies are having a laugh about this at the moment because a few of them are opening up going PAST an effluent dump at clinton on sh1.I work in cowshit most of the day and dont want to be driving or riding in it after work too.If it is chewing up tar seal,what is it going to do to paint.But no one is willing to take any action to see changes made.

98% of my riding is rural. I rode 700km on Southland roads last Saturday. And yes, I've seen the current state of Gore. Last time I rode through my biggest concern was the 8 year old girl who stood in the middle of the road and stared me down from 200m. Fucking weird. Buy hey, it's Gore. You can expect these things, much like cow shit on rural roads.

My position is not that nothing should be done about it but that it doesn't need to ruin anyone's ride and it shouldn't come as a surprise. A campaign to have current laws enforced and remove an unnecessary hazard from the roads might get somewhere. Whinging about how disgusting cow shit is will only earn you the contempt of those who have to work with it all the time.

MrKiwi
3rd June 2011, 21:51
The current law about loads read:

• load—
o (a) includes part of a load; and
o (b) includes covers, ropes, ties, blocks, tackles, barrows, or other equipment or object used in the securing or containing of loads on vehicles or the loading or unloading of vehicles, whether or not any other load is on the vehicle; but
o (c) does not include animal wastes discharged from animals being carried on a vehicle at the time

I would suggest (c) is changed to
o (c) does not include animal wastes discharged directly from animals being carried on a vehicle at the time

This then caters for the responsible farmers and truckies who stand their stock or properly use and discharge the holding tanks on trucks.

MalBoo
5th June 2011, 08:04
Read this
http://www.wanganuichronicle.co.nz/local/news/police-file-13511/3951664/

it is illegal to dump shit all over the road and I know what a few of the drivers do they crack open the tanks a little bit so they empty out slowly.

scumdog
5th June 2011, 09:23
If it is chewing up tar seal,what is it going to do to paint.But no one is willing to take any action to see changes made.

And for those who earlier on said 'it's just cow-shit' - have a look at what it does to any bare alloy it sticks to - and even anodised/clear-coated alloy that has any stone-chip can end up looking like it has the pox.

I feel the Govt has put road-spill effluent in the "Too Hard" (tm) basket - and like a lot of things, are also unwilling to upset the agriculture industry by 'making' them clean up the transport/effluent problem.

nosebleed
5th June 2011, 09:39
98% of my riding is rural. I rode 700km on Southland roads last Saturday. And yes, I've seen the current state of Gore. Last time I rode through my biggest concern was the 8 year old girl who stood in the middle of the road and stared me down from 200m. Fucking weird. Buy hey, it's Gore. You can expect these things, much like cow shit on rural roads.

My position is not that nothing should be done about it but that it doesn't need to ruin anyone's ride and it shouldn't come as a surprise. A campaign to have current laws enforced and remove an unnecessary hazard from the roads might get somewhere. Whinging about how disgusting cow shit is will only earn you the contempt of those who have to work with it all the time.

Shit, just about choked on my Double Vanilla Soy Latte.
Oh nooooooes, How will I ever cope suspecting that a farmer thinks of me with contempt.
Possibly I'll just turn on my heated towel rail, sup from my bottled water, and after a decent sleep getting up AFTER the sun, walk to a cafe to have some-one else prepare my breakfast.

All the while knowing that the work that I do within the heavily regulated and scrutinised industry with which I work, conforms.
i put the effort in to comply, as do the people that work with me and for me, and if we miss something we pay the price.

unstuck
5th June 2011, 09:49

Makes me wonder why you are stopping to talk to young girls in our town.:blink: As i have said earlier, I work most of my day in cowshit,just part of the job. What i dont like is having it spread all around our town, and on parts of our roads that become dangerous to ALL motorists, not just riders. No body I have talked to from council,police or trucking companys seem all that interested and I think they should be. I would like to see some changes made to put a halt to it,and if that means people are going to have contempt for me,so be it. That is something I am willing to put up with to acheive my goal.:yes:

awayatc
5th June 2011, 10:15
No shit...........

as a motto I mean.............

probably gotta wait till the cows come home

matdaymon
5th June 2011, 10:52
Sadly I think there won't be any action until there is a well publicized DEATH of a mum and her 3 kids when their cage hits a slick of cow shit on a corner and they careen into a plot of trees. That's how things work in our Knee-jerk reaction country...

MSTRS
5th June 2011, 13:12
Sadly I think there won't be any action until there is a well publicized DEATH of a mum and her 3 kids when their cage hits a slick of cow shit on a corner and they careen into a plot of trees. That's how things work in our Knee-jerk reaction country...

No no no...
It'll be because she was speeding and not driving to the conditions.

jaffaonajappa
5th June 2011, 15:11

Concur!!!!!

Ender EnZed
5th June 2011, 15:24
All the while knowing that the work that I do within the heavily regulated and scrutinised industry with which I work, conforms.

The industry that matters in this instance is obviously not heavily regulated and scrutinised.

i put the effort in to comply, as do the people that work with me and for me, and if we miss something we pay the price.

No shit.

carver
5th June 2011, 15:44
I just leave the dump valve open on my stock truck

MSTRS
5th June 2011, 16:18
The industry that matters in this instance is obviously not heavily regulated and scrutinised.

The argument being that they should be. The fact that they blatantly disregard what rules there are re effluent is grounds enough for a shake-up. But no cunt is interested...

Pussy
5th June 2011, 16:31

I hope you give the cows a feed of prunes, too.

nosebleed
5th June 2011, 17:42

Meet the thin edge of the wedge...

I wonder if this part of the act could be used to penalise those trucking companys that don't follow the guide lines.

Land Transport Act 1998 No 110 (as at 01 May 2011), Public Act

36A Contravention of section 22A

(1) A person commits an offence if the person—

(a) operates a motor vehicle in a race, or in an unnecessary exhibition of speed or acceleration, on a road in contravention of section 22A(1); or

(b) without reasonable excuse, intentionally pours onto, places on, or allows to spill onto a road—

(i) any petrol, oil, or diesel fuel; or

(ii) any other substance likely to cause a vehicle to undergo loss of traction; or

(c) without reasonable excuse, operates a motor vehicle on a road in a manner that causes the vehicle to undergo sustained loss of traction in contravention of section 22A(3).

(2) A person commits an indictable offence if the person commits an offence against subsection (1)(a) or (c), and by that act or omission causes an injury to or the death of another person.

(3) A person who commits an offence against subsection (1)(a) or (c) that is an indictable offence is liable to the penalties set out in section 36(2), and section 36(2) and (3) apply as if the offence were an offence against section 36(1)(a) (such as operating a motor vehicle recklessly on a road, and by that act or omission causing an injury to or the death of another person).

(4) A person who commits an offence against subsection (1)(a) or (c) that is not an indictable offence is liable to the penalties set out in section 35(2), and section 35(2) and (3) apply as if the offence were an offence against section 35(1)(a) (operating a motor vehicle recklessly on a road).

(5) A person who commits an offence against subsection (1)(b) is liable to a fine not exceeding $3,000.

Section 36A: inserted, on 2 May 2003, by section 6 of the Land Transport (Unauthorised Street and Drag Racing) Amendment Act 2003 (2003 No 11)."

or can it only be applied during illegal street racing???

The argument being that they should be. The fact that they blatantly disregard what rules there are re effluent is grounds enough for a shake-up. But no cunt is interested...

Just announced today

Operation Green Line

Winston001
5th June 2011, 18:02
Whinging about how disgusting cow shit is will only earn you the contempt of those who have to work with it all the time.

Amen to that. We are too small a country for some of you to think you are elite and immune from the grit of real life. I suppose many think milk is made in factories. :facepalm:

For goodness sake, its cow dung. It washes away with the rain. Ride/drive a little slower for the few days stock are being trucked. The drivers can't know if the animals have emptied and they have work to get on with.

Honestly this is a pitiful prissy conversation.

unstuck
5th June 2011, 18:18
I guess a tit puller would think that. Not only are dairy farmers fucking up the rivers with polution,and soil with compaction.Now they are saying it is okay to ruin roads and the rest of us should get over it. What a bunch of narrow minded tossers, I love going to work and listening to you guys whinge about how tough things are and telling you to get the fuck over yourselves,makes my day.:yes:

scumdog
5th June 2011, 18:20

Hmm, that's ONE description of you standing there with your mouth hanging open...:whistle:

Mom
5th June 2011, 18:43
My position is not that nothing should be done about it but that it doesn't need to ruin anyone's ride and it shouldn't come as a surprise.

I am NEVER surprised by cow shit on the road, it is a simple fact of life on rural roads, like I said I have been writing letters and complaining about it for many years. As far as ruining someones ride goes, I will give you two examples of just how cowshit on the road can ruin your ride, no crashes had, but horrible ride all the same.

One route to work, no alternatives, well technically not true, but an additonal 40 odd kms of metal roads, when I need to travel 15 on my trip to work is not really an option. Wet roads, the kind of wet that means the vehicle in front throws up water from the rear tyres. Following a stock truck, getting sprayed with a fine stream of diluted cow shit. Cant see, cant breathe, dare not open my visor, drop right back, and follow this disgusting thing, no choices, I have to get to work. Arrive at work liberally coated with cowshit, all my gear is green and it stinks! I have to leave it outside, for I cant bring it in to drip shit on the floor at work.

That ruined that trip in a big way I can assure you, and is only one of the hundreds of times I have come up against a similar thing.

The one that prompted this thread, is even worse in my eyes, though I never are shit. Night time. Commuting home. Once again taking the only realistic route for me. It has been raining, the roads are wet. I smell strong, fresh cowshit! I cant see it, it is dark, but I can smell it. Where is it? Bound to be uphill here? Notorious place for accidents, I slow right down, anticipating running into the green slime anytime soon. Nope, all good. You get the picture, horrible commute home, completely ruined my ride. The shit was actually on the other side of the road, the truck was heading south! I got to avoid his green trail in the morning on my way to work.

Cow shitand piss is dangerous, there are laws that should prevent it from being spewed out on the roads. It does ruin rides, it ruins health, and the fact it appears to be ignored needs to be addressed.

I agree, whinging wont fix things, want to put your had up to help me make a real stand against this shit?

Grubber
5th June 2011, 19:17
It's not intentional.

Thats kinda how i see it too. Plenty of other things goin on that need attention.

Fortunately the behaviour of "that’s the way it's been done for decades" has changed in a lot of industries, leading to improvements in health and safety for both those in the industry, and those affected by it. Unfortunately a minority in the livestock/transport industry don't seem to be able to move into modern times where slack practices need to be changed.

I would say 99% of all stock transporters abide by the reg's, as they would not have TSL licences if they didn't. They can't get COF's if they don't comply.

very much doubt that they would even consider this. In most occasions the crap that gets thrown out is the stuff that is being dispersed on the journey that spews straight out the side of the crates. There is no cure for this.

Amen to that. We are too small a country for some of you to think you are elite and immune from the grit of real life. I suppose many think milk is made in factories. :facepalm:

For goodness sake, its cow dung. It washes away with the rain. Ride/drive a little slower for the few days stock are being trucked. The drivers can't know if the animals have emptied and they have work to get on with.

Honestly this is a pitiful prissy conversation.

Couldn't agree more. How many times do we have to hear the rant about '"ride accordingly". I tend to stay back and then when there is a decent gap i overtake. No problem!

I guess a tit puller would think that. Not only are dairy farmers fucking up the rivers with polution,and soil with compaction.Now they are saying it is okay to ruin roads and the rest of us should get over it. What a bunch of narrow minded tossers, I love going to work and listening to you guys whinge about how tough things are and telling you to get the fuck over yourselves,makes my day.:yes:

There is literally thousands of diary farmers in this country and all but a small handful that have issues with erosion etc. without them and their industry many of us wouldn't have jobs, but you can sit back in your air conditioned office and drink water and eat lettuce (no milk or cheese) and criticize all you like if you want. Your talking about the largest export industry in the country, but i believe you know nothing about what you speak of.
And you wonder why they dislike city slickers. :facepalm:

unstuck
5th June 2011, 19:27
There is literally thousands of diary farmers in this country and all but a small handful that have issues with erosion etc. without them and their industry many of us wouldn't have jobs, but you can sit back in your air conditioned office and drink water and eat lettuce (no milk or cheese) and criticize all you like if you want. Your talking about the largest export industry in the country, but i believe you know nothing about what you speak of.
And you wonder why they dislike city slickers. :facepalm:[/QUOTE]

Goes to show what an ignorant twat you are then. Most of my income comes from dairy farmers and i spend most of my days listening to whinging dairy farmers going on about how bad things are for them. I love taking their money because most of them are complete tossers.:yes:

Winston001
5th June 2011, 20:20
Goes to show what an ignorant twat you are then. Most of my income comes from dairy farmers and i spend most of my days listening to whinging dairy farmers going on about how bad things are for them. I love taking their money because most of them are complete tossers.:yes:

Well its only the internet, but the abusive judgemental tone says more about Unstuck than about any farmers.

Ender EnZed
5th June 2011, 21:25
As far as ruining someones ride goes, I will give you two examples of just how cowshit on the road can ruin your ride, no crashes had, but horrible ride all the same.

One route to work, no alternatives, well technically not true, but an additonal 40 odd kms of metal roads, when I need to travel 15 on my trip to work is not really an option. Wet roads, the kind of wet that means the vehicle in front throws up water from the rear tyres. Following a stock truck, getting sprayed with a fine stream of diluted cow shit. Cant see, cant breathe, dare not open my visor, drop right back, and follow this disgusting thing, no choices, I have to get to work. Arrive at work liberally coated with cowshit, all my gear is green and it stinks! I have to leave it outside, for I cant bring it in to drip shit on the floor at work.

That ruined that trip in a big way I can assure you, and is only one of the hundreds of times I have come up against a similar thing.

Maybe I'm just a fuckwit but I really can't see how dropping back or even pulling over briefly and getting to work 45 seconds later wouldn't have solved this. Was this situation extraordinary in some way from the other hundreds?

The one that prompted this thread, is even worse in my eyes, though I never are shit. Night time. Commuting home. Once again taking the only realistic route for me. It has been raining, the roads are wet. I smell strong, fresh cowshit! I cant see it, it is dark, but I can smell it. Where is it? Bound to be uphill here? Notorious place for accidents, I slow right down, anticipating running into the green slime anytime soon. Nope, all good. You get the picture, horrible commute home, completely ruined my ride. The shit was actually on the other side of the road, the truck was heading south! I got to avoid his green trail in the morning on my way to work.

This isn't even a story. Nothing happened!!! How can this possibly qualify as ruining your ride?

Cow shitand piss is dangerous, there are laws that should prevent it from being spewed out on the roads.

I agree.

It does ruin rides

I'm not convinced.

I agree, whinging wont fix things, want to put your had up to help me make a real stand against this shit?

TBH, no. I have nothing against you making a stand to improve the quality of roads and I wish you all the best. In the meantime I'll be enjoying riding, on a road covered in cow shit if need be.

unstuck
6th June 2011, 06:55
Ender Enzed.

Well for someone who does not have a problem with this issue you seem to be having some big issues that keep you coming back to this thread. And you still have not said why you are stopping to talk to young girls in our town??? WTF is up with that??:blink:

yungatart
6th June 2011, 09:13
Maybe I'm just a fuckwit but I really can't see how dropping back or even pulling over briefly and getting to work 45 seconds later wouldn't have solved this.

How does dropping back or even pulling over solve the problem of a film of slippery smelly cow shit on the road?
If you are following the truck then it is still going to be in front of you disgorging its dangerous shit, n'est pas?
Looks like you might have to opt for the fuckwit option...

scumdog
6th June 2011, 09:20
Even worse after a week or so of dry weather, it's all flattened by traffic and hardened - and then gets rained on.

Ya can't see it on the wet road and it's as slippery as snot.

Dropping back or pulling over won't cut it then.:no:

cheshirecat
6th June 2011, 09:37
Shower of Shit over Shropshire
Blaster Bates (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOwven0Rt94)

Blaster, amongst over things, was noted for bringing some dynamite into court to demostate how safe it was. Apparently the Judge hid under the bench.

FJRider
6th June 2011, 11:55
The trucking regulations state the stock trucks must have the effluent tanks ... but do NOT state they should not be allowed to overflow ... or be emptied on a regular basis ...

barno
6th June 2011, 13:01

Hahaha good call! Takes four pints of lager before I can even begin on my MIL's cooking.

MrKiwi
6th June 2011, 13:53
And you wonder why they dislike city slickers. :facepalm:[/QUOTE]

That there might be but it does not excuse bad practice and shifting a problem from themselves to someone else. I'll happily criticise farmers until the cows come home (pun intended) because I was born and raised on a farm so I know what it is like. I rode my bike all day Friday and all day yesterday. Yesterday's ride was from Wellington to Castle Point, down to Riversdale and back. The roads were semi wet and from Tauwera to the coast and back the road was covered in shit. None of us came off, but it made for a dangerous ride. It's hard enough as it is without having to put up with this nonsense. All it takes is for the farmers to stand their stock for about 3-4 hours before moving them. That is not hard nor is it inconvenient for them to do so. Stock effluent belongs on the farm, not on our roads. It never belongs on our roads.

Maha
6th June 2011, 13:58
Stock Truck drivers are cunts and they smell.:love:

unstuck
6th June 2011, 15:11

And smelly cunts are never nice.:bleh::puke:

Grubber
7th June 2011, 07:14

Goes to show what an ignorant twat you are then. Most of my income comes from dairy farmers and i spend most of my days listening to whinging dairy farmers going on about how bad things are for them. I love taking their money because most of them are complete tossers.:yes:[/QUOTE]

Once again you wonder why they dislike city slickers like you. With an attitude like that it's no wonder. I would back a dairy farmer way before i would back you!

Grubber
7th June 2011, 07:19

That there might be but it does not excuse bad practice and shifting a problem from themselves to someone else. I'll happily criticise farmers until the cows come home (pun intended) because I was born and raised on a farm so I know what it is like. I rode my bike all day Friday and all day yesterday. Yesterday's ride was from Wellington to Castle Point, down to Riversdale and back. The roads were semi wet and from Tauwera to the coast and back the road was covered in shit. None of us came off, but it made for a dangerous ride. It's hard enough as it is without having to put up with this nonsense. All it takes is for the farmers to stand their stock for about 3-4 hours before moving them. That is not hard nor is it inconvenient for them to do so. Stock effluent belongs on the farm, not on our roads. It never belongs on our roads.[/QUOTE]

Funnilly enough, stock don't stop shitting just because it's been in a yard for 3 hours. They still shit no matter what. Just the way it is. Yes i have been a farmer myself so i do know.
Like i said earlier, it's not always the overflow that comes out of the crates, it's the fresh stuff that comes straight over the side. Once again it's just the way it is.
I've been riding for some 35 years and a lot of that on the back roads and have never ever had an issue with this. Not sure what everyones problem is to be honest.

unstuck
7th June 2011, 07:22

Once again you wonder why they dislike city slickers like you. With an attitude like that it's now wonder. I would back a dairy farmer way before i would back you![/QUOTE]

Dickhead, can you not get it through your head that I am not from the city,you must be completely retarded.:facepalm:

Grubber
7th June 2011, 07:22

A broad assumption i feel.
The ones i know only smell when they are at work.
They would be one the hardest working bunch of people i know, so they can smell all they like as far as i'm concerned.
When i roll up behind any of them they always let me go with a blink on their indicators. God blokes through and through.

unstuck
7th June 2011, 07:25
A broad assumption i feel.
The ones i know only smell when they are at work.
They would be one the hardest working bunch of people i know, so they can smell all they like as far as i'm concerned.
When i roll up behind any of them they always let me go with a blink on their indicators. God blokes through and through.

AH that explains it, Your a stocktruck driver. No wonder why your such a dick.:yes:

Grubber
7th June 2011, 07:34
Once again you wonder why they dislike city slickers like you. With an attitude like that it's now wonder. I would back a dairy farmer way before i would back you!

Dickhead, can you not get it through your head that I am not from the city,you must be completely retarded.:facepalm:[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should stop sounding like an arrogant arse then. May help a bit.
What did you say,,, "i just love taking their money off them" Yea that's the attitude that does it for me. Maybe it's because of prats like you that they moan all the time. Lets face it, you wouldn't have a job if they didn't exist. Cause i sure as hell wouldn't employ you.
Grow up Dude!

MrKiwi
7th June 2011, 10:10
Funnilly enough, stock don't stop shitting just because it's been in a yard for 3 hours. They still shit no matter what. Just the way it is. Yes i have been a farmer myself so i do know.
Like i said earlier, it's not always the overflow that comes out of the crates, it's the fresh stuff that comes straight over the side. Once again it's just the way it is.
I've been riding for some 35 years and a lot of that on the back roads and have never ever had an issue with this. Not sure what everyones problem is to be honest.[/QUOTE]

Funnily enough stock shit a lot less after they have stood for 3-4 hours, do your homework. And you know I am right.

Grubber
7th June 2011, 10:56
I've been riding for some 35 years and a lot of that on the back roads and have never ever had an issue with this. Not sure what everyones problem is to be honest.

Funnily enough stock shit a lot less after they have stood for 3-4 hours, do your homework. And you know I am right.[/QUOTE]

Been there and done that, yes they shit less but they don't stop. Been on stock trucks before so i do know my stuff thanks.
Been a farmer as well so i know a bit of my stuff there also.

oneofsix
7th June 2011, 11:06
Funnily enough stock shit a lot less after they have stood for 3-4 hours, do your homework. And you know I am right.

Been there and done that, yes they shit less but they don't stop. Been on stock trucks before so i do know my stuff thanks.
Been a farmer as well so i know a bit of my stuff there also.

how do the ferries manage? I bet they don't put up with stock shitting all over the boat.
Stand the stock, have holding tanks under the truck decks, with the decks having scuppers that drain into the tanks. Therefore can't see why we should have to put up with trucks spraying shit on the roads.

Grubber
7th June 2011, 12:33
how do the ferries manage? I bet they don't put up with stock shitting all over the boat.
Stand the stock, have holding tanks under the truck decks, with the decks having scuppers that drain into the tanks. Therefore can't see why we should have to put up with trucks spraying shit on the roads.

The trucks drain into their holding tanks on the boat and there is no swingin around so to speak while your stationary on the boat, that's how!
In saying that, there is always some splash that hits the decks. It doesn't kill ya and the smell is more the animal and not the shit when your on the boat with them. I've done many crossings on my bike with cattle trucks on board and don't find it offensive at all. If ya don't like it ya just stand in a different spot, job done.

MrKiwi
7th June 2011, 14:43
And it is with this attitude that you bring farmers reputation into shame. Anyone who thinks it is ok to let shit pour all over our roads is just entertaining contemptuous nonsense.

As someone from the farming community my message to you is simple - get with it instead of retaining anal retentive beliefs.

oneofsix
7th June 2011, 15:04
The trucks drain into their holding tanks on the boat and there is no swingin around so to speak while your stationary on the boat, that's how!
In saying that, there is always some splash that hits the decks. It doesn't kill ya and the smell is more the animal and not the shit when your on the boat with them. I've done many crossings on my bike with cattle trucks on board and don't find it offensive at all. If ya don't like it ya just stand in a different spot, job done.

As I have a tendency to suffer seasickness those ferries swing and bounce around more than enough for me :sick:
No, its not the smell that kills you.
The holding tanks and what they have to do for the ferries would be why there isn't much of an issue with spillage on SH1 out of Welly so why not on the other public highways?

Bardman
7th June 2011, 15:53
Just heard that nz farmers are getting a $435million dollar irrigation package potentially paving the way for 1 million more cows.
What will this mean!!! more clearing of land for more grazing, reduced stream flows to deal with the increased pollution, and more shit on the road.
I think new zealand will remain green but not from our native trees and bush, but from standing pads and polluted green filth working its way into our waterways and down our favorite piece of road.
And with fonterra paying out more record prices to dairy farmers, the mighty dollar will make more sense than our environment.
And dont even get me started on trustpower.:facepalm:

Daffyd
7th June 2011, 20:45
The whole thing to me seems a bit one sided! As a motorhome owner and a member of the NZMCA, we are constantly advised of the high penalties for driving without the cap on the dump valve. This is an extra precaution against the odd drip of waste that may ooze through the very efficient slide valve.
I often wonder how many times I could drive over the Gore bridge with my dump valves open before I was stopped.
I was riding to the Magpie Madness rally a couple of years ago, with two other members of this forum, one who has already posted in this thread, when I met a stock truck coming the other way on a bend. As he came around towards me, centrifugal force flung several bucketfuls of the dreaded cowpoos all over me.
Almost spoiled my weekend!

Mom
8th June 2011, 06:28
The whole thing to me seems a bit one sided! As a motorhome owner and a member of the NZMCA, we are constantly advised of the high penalties for driving without the cap on the dump valve. This is an extra precaution against the odd drip of waste that may ooze through the very efficient slide valve.
I often wonder how many times I could drive over the Gore bridge with my dump valves open before I was stopped.
I was riding to the Magpie Madness rally a couple of years ago, with two other members of this forum, one who has already posted in this thread, when I met a stock truck coming the other way on a bend. As he came around towards me, centrifugal force flung several bucketfuls of the dreaded cowpoos all over me.
Almost spoiled my weekend!

Exactly! I had forgotten the dreaded centrifugal force :shit:

unstuck
8th June 2011, 06:53
Apparently they only give the stock trucks to the dumbest members of a driving fleet,so most of them would not know wether the dump valve is on or off anyway. And I am sure they think those bays with the effluent dumps are just somewhere to stop and eat their lunch and tell more lies in their log books.:yes:

Grubber
8th June 2011, 07:00
Apparently they only give the stock trucks to the dumbest members of a driving fleet,so most of them would not know wether the dump valve is on or off anyway. And I am sure they think those bays with the effluent dumps are just somewhere to stop and eat their lunch and tell more lies in their log books.:yes:

This would have to be a troll. There is a fairly high quality driver required for stock. Animal welfare and upkeep on stock trucks is not a job for a joe. Plenty of strict criteria to be met with the job. Perhaps more than required to drive a bulldozer even!

Maha
8th June 2011, 07:07
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/etvNHZx_Bb4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TimeOut
8th June 2011, 07:43
Funnily enough stock shit a lot less after they have stood for 3-4 hours, do your homework. And you know I am right.[/QUOTE]

Crap (pun intended) There may be a little less after 4 hours but even after 12 hours cattle will still shit when put under stress i.e. trucking.

Sheep on the other hand are pretty much empty after 12 hours.

That still doesn't alter the fact that if holding tank are big enough and emptied often enough very little shit should get on the roads.

MrKiwi
8th June 2011, 09:19

Crap (pun intended) There may be a little less after 4 hours but even after 12 hours cattle will still shit when put under stress i.e. trucking.

Sheep on the other hand are pretty much empty after 12 hours.

That still doesn't alter the fact that if holding tank are big enough and emptied often enough very little shit should get on the roads.[/QUOTE]

While I totally agree with you on the holding tank points you make, there is a distinct reduction in the crapping volume with time of holding. So yes 12 hours is going to make a difference compared to four. Yet most stock still seem to be moved after no standing period - holding tanks aren't made that big!

cold comfort
11th June 2011, 13:04
Re Otago Daily Times article yesterday entitled " Dairy farmers warned over effluent" ."Environment South-land is calling on Government to amend the Land Transport Act to make it a specific offence for stock trucks to leak effluent onto roads" Chair woman Ali Tims was "frustrated people expected the region council to resolve a problem it had no power to fix". According to this it needs a national policy to give the councils teeth. Have sent a note to BRONZ as this would be an initiative worth supporting. (maybe they could add diesel to it as well). Still significant non-compliance by dairy farmers with groundwater pollution too despite fines- no surprise there with increasing dairying.

MrKiwi
11th June 2011, 14:19
Re Otago Daily Times article yesterday entitled " Dairy farmers warned over effluent" ."Environment South-land is calling on Government to amend the Land Transport Act to make it a specific offence for stock trucks to leak effluent onto roads" Chair woman Ali Tims was "frustrated people expected the region council to resolve a problem it had no power to fix". According to this it needs a national policy to give the councils teeth. Have sent a note to BRONZ as this would be an initiative worth supporting. (maybe they could add diesel to it as well). Still significant non-compliance by dairy farmers with groundwater pollution too despite fines- no surprise there with increasing dairying.

Good idea. MOTO NZ are also becoming involved in this. There are quite a few issues. For a change to be effective it requires 3 things:
- farmers to stand their stock for 4 or so hours with dry feed - this helps to dry out the crap and keeps the animals in good health. Clearly this practice is erratic in some places.
- trucking firms to install and use holding tanks and to voluntarily enforce compliance with the standing period from farmers before moving stock. Mostly trucking firms have fitted tanks and use them. They are not necessarily the right people to manage the animal holding part of the programme with farmers.
- local government to install dump stations - this has been frustratingly slow around the country.

Changing the law, ie definition of load as noted in an earlier post by me, in combination with chain and responsibility regulations (as we have in the aviation and maritime sectors) could lead to trucking firms to deciding not to move stock - that would focus farmers attention. Ideally the easiest solution is for farmers to stand their stock as much as possible. Why should we need to regulate?

At the end of the day it is us other road users that cop the brunt of someone else's bad practice. The cost is moved from one sector of the community to another who is not responsible - ie an externality. Externalities should be internalised - in this case, farmers should stand their stock with dry feed for the recommended period. Shit does not belong on our roads.

MSTRS
11th June 2011, 15:37
Shit does not belong on our roads.

Not in any of the forms it can take...

Ocean1
11th June 2011, 16:50
I'm intrigued by a few apparent assertions here that one can always sense and avoid shit on the road. It must come from those who ride in areas that are so widely soiled that it’s safe to assume it’s more or less universal or those who’ve never actually seen any.

I’m a great believer in riding to suit the current conditions. But if those conditions involve a change from a nice, even, predictable surface to that same surface adversely affected by a random dumping of cow shit then I reckon any loss of control can be fairly laid at the feet of those who put the shit there, rather than the rider.

Oh sure, I’ve seen and avoided many thousands of instances of potentially treacherous shit, but I’ve also had a few seat-puckering step-outs from having hit near invisible patches, especially early on in a rain shower. We shouldn’t expect pristine surfaces on our roads, (we’re not going to get them anyway), but we should expect not to have to contend with what amounts to booby-traps either.

Also, I have occasion to require a quad, soon. I called a friend, an expert in the field, to ask what to look for / avoid in any likely second hand machine. “Anything that meets your usual dirt bike standards and that has never lived on a dairy farm” says he. “We usually decline to work on those much past their warrantee period, they’re invariably fuckt, frames rotted out, bolts all seized, in short not worth repairing”. He probably didn’t need to warn me, I’ve seen how corrosive it is, but it’s another reason we should probably take the relatively cheap and simple steps necessary to keep it off our roads and off our bikes / cars.

Winston001
11th June 2011, 20:58
Externalities should be internalised - in this case, farmers should stand their stock with dry feed for the recommended period. Shit does not belong on our roads.

I agree with the rest of your post but take issue with this.

Firstly animal waste is natural - geese, birds, tuatara... We live with it and benefit from these creatures.

Secondly, child abuse is foisted upon the community by loathsome humans who do not deserve to have children. That's an externality - the problem should be solved within the family. Yet we do little to stop them, little to intervene and inspect homes, little to remove children from the execrable creatures whom they are doomed to live amongst.

MrKiwi
11th June 2011, 22:44
I agree with the rest of your post but take issue with this.

Firstly animal waste is natural - geese, birds, tuatara... We live with it and benefit from these creatures.

Secondly, child abuse is foisted upon the community by loathsome humans who do not deserve to have children. That's an externality - the problem should be solved within the family. Yet we do little to stop them, little to intervene and inspect homes, little to remove children from the execrable creatures whom they are doomed to live amongst.

Usually geese, birds and tuatara don't shit on our roads in the volumes we get from trucks moving stock.

I don't know where to go with your second point other than you're right.

21st June 2011, 18:20
Just as well I ride a Green Kwaka Monster thing. The shit just blends in with the paint work....
:weep:

jaffaonajappa
21st June 2011, 18:27
Just as well I ride a Green Kwaka Monster thing. The shit just blends in with the paint work....
:weep:

LOL
But on a serious note.....cow shit is corrosive. If ya leave it long enuff it truly will start to 'blend in'....

Old Steve
10th July 2011, 17:24
Rode over the Manawahe Road today, from Matata to Lake Rotoma. What a ride this would be in whatever season it is that the cows don't shit on the road. It didn't look as if it was spillage from cattle trucks, but rather droppings as the stock crossed the road or were herded up the road from one farm to the other. I gave GLORIA a high pressure hose down as soon as we got home, the cow shit was about 25 mm thick where it had been flung up onto the hot engine by the front wheels.

But I'd love to ride that road again, in summer when there aren't any wet corners and when there isn't any cow shit on the road. I'm going to log onto moto.org.nz and highlight this problem.