PDA

View Full Version : GSX250f - engine transplant?

nz3rdsqr
4th June 2011, 10:20
im kinda thinking about fitting a new engine in my gsx250f across i know its the same motor as the gsxr250 but im wondering if i could get a gsx250rr motor in it anyone go any ideas if this will work?

imdying
4th June 2011, 10:24
i know its the same motor as the gsxr250 but im wondering if i could get a gsx250rrIIRC, both of the GSXR250 engines are four cylinders, and the GSX250F is a twin. If that's the case, there is no interchangeability.

MSTRS
4th June 2011, 11:18
IIRC, both of the GSXR250 engines are four cylinders, and the GSX250F is a twin. If that's the case, there is no interchangeability.

Nah. The Across is a 4 cyl.
To the OP - the casings are all pretty similar for the various 4 cyl 250 models from the 90s. But you might find that wiring/connectors/etc aren't.
A friend of mine had a 90s Katana which he dropped. The left side casing was muted, and he used one off a Bandit.

ducatilover
4th June 2011, 11:29
To my knowledge it's just a GSF250 Bandit motor/Katana 250 motor. The Gixxer 250 lump may fit in there but, I'm certain the carbs and head are different.

nz3rdsqr
5th June 2011, 10:56
yea the only prob i can see is the quad carbs where as the across is twin carbed

tigertim20
5th June 2011, 12:50
you can do anything if your budget allows, but youll need the carbs, headers, and possibly the entire wiring loom from the engine you are putting in as well.
If your current engine is twin carb, you might find that there isnt enough room for the quad carb setup to fit under there.

Either way it sounds like alot of effort, for what?
Is your current engine fucked, or are you just after a little more power or something?
If its the prior, go with the original engine, if its the latter, sell it, and just buy an rr, or a bigger capacity bike.
my $0.02