PDA

View Full Version : AG175 Mud Bug gearbox issue

QRUZN
12th June 2011, 08:38
Bike was jammed in third and wouldn't select up or down. Have located neutral now but won't select any gear. Is this a quick fix or terminal??

spannermad
12th June 2011, 17:45
Pull the clutch cover off and have a look. They were prone to breaking the selector on the end of the gear shift shaft, the part that engages the end of the selector barrel.

Robert Taylor
13th June 2011, 19:59
Youve associated a Yamaha name with a Suzuki name, it is in fact a Grasshopper grasshopper! The Yamaha Motor Company would be horrified.... Its decades since I worked on one of these as they stopped making them many years ago. But if my partially fried memory serves me correctly they like the AG100 have a white nylon cap secured in place by 3 panhead screws just above the front sprocket. If it has suffered a derailed chain at some stage it may have damaged that cover and dislodged an open ended and about 3 mm thick locating washer that keeps the end of the shift drum in alignment. It may even have wiped off the spigot on the end of the shift drum in which case its a full strip and replacement deal.
Look there first just in case, let me know. Otherwise the shifter detent and pawl mechanism behind the clutch basket, if no evidence then yes split the crankcases.

QRUZN
13th June 2011, 20:48
Firstly my apologies for the "mud bug" blunder. I have a real mint TF185 mud bug also. Thanks for your replies. The AG has suffered a chain derailment recently. I stripped the left cover off and repaired both a bent clutch rod and straightened up the fork which is attached to the end of the clutch cable. Anyway I'll strip it down and may chuck a new set of bearings etc... Thanks again.