PDA

View Full Version : Installed a Stage 1 Hotcam into my Honda CL400!

SilentDtH
3rd July 2011, 16:02
I just had to share this with somebody.

My first time installing a cam shaft, obviously I was dubious as to how successful I would be. Well I have just taken it for its 30 minute break in period above 3000rpm for 30 minutes, and all seems well. Very happy so far!

I'm letting the engine cool and then rechecking my valve clearances as per the instructions. I will also do an engine oil and filter change at the same time.

The bike is a Honda CL400 - motor is very similar to the XR400.
The reason I went down this path was because the auto-decompresser was worn out.

That is all for now, thanks for reading :)

EDIT: added some pics, hotcam on the left - old cam on the right. Auto decompressor parts also shown, note that its slightly oval from damage.

Grant`
4th July 2011, 22:33
Good work! I have not a single ounce of mechanical ability so my hat is off to you.

Where are the pictures though ?

SilentDtH
5th July 2011, 09:26
Thanks Grant :) I have not been mechanical prior to 2009, but just started to tinker in my garage... great fun!

I only have a couple of pictures, of the cam shaft's side by side. I'll upload those at some stage. It was my first attempt, so I was really focusing on getting everything right and forgot to take a lot of pictures. Next time!

SilentDtH
9th July 2011, 21:08
Added pics !

actungbaby
29th July 2011, 22:15
good on ya how did it improve has it got better top end mid range

I just had to share this with somebody.

My first time installing a cam shaft, obviously I was dubious as to how successful I would be. Well I have just taken it for its 30 minute break in period above 3000rpm for 30 minutes, and all seems well. Very happy so far!

I'm letting the engine cool and then rechecking my valve clearances as per the instructions. I will also do an engine oil and filter change at the same time.

The bike is a Honda CL400 - motor is very similar to the XR400.
The reason I went down this path was because the auto-decompresser was worn out.

That is all for now, thanks for reading :)

EDIT: added some pics, hotcam on the left - old cam on the right. Auto decompressor parts also shown, note that its slightly oval from damage.

ducatilover
29th July 2011, 22:54
Onya mate! Good to see someone doing cool things with the ol' CL400 :yes:

SilentDtH
11th August 2011, 10:19
good on ya how did it improve has it got better top end mid range

Yeah man it's got a lot better top range for sure, actually it just feels like it pulls more consistently across all ranges!

Onya mate! Good to see someone doing cool things with the ol' CL400 :yes:

Cheers :D Yeah I'm very happy with it!

tri boy
11th August 2011, 20:26
Use high quality oil, and regular valve clearance checkswith a Hot Cam.
They have a bit of a "wear"reputation.
Just saying:mellow:

SilentDtH
11th August 2011, 22:06
Thanks, can you recommend a good oil?

thewatchslot
25th September 2011, 07:17
lo ther
i see you have upgraded your honda, i have a cl400 about 2yr now, in the u.k. it's a grey import so not many spares, was the cam upgrade easy to do, i would'nt mind a go myself, would have the part nos. and any info.
years ago i used to ride strokers, it took me sometime to get used to a 4 stroke, before i got the honda i hadn't been on a bike for 25 yrs. thanks.

SilentDtH
27th September 2011, 21:58
Hi there watchslot,

Yes they are a tricky bike to find info on.
I have everything now, workshop manual, I understand the bike quite well (enough to upgrade the cam shaft!).

The bikes engine is basically from an XR400R - and that is the workshop manual I am using. The only difference being there is no decompresser lever.

If you search ebay for an XR400 Hotcam Stage 1 you will find what you are looking for.

My cam install is still going strong, I've done about 1000kms on it and am getting used to tweaking the valve adjustments - still a little noisy down there but runs fine.

Key things to watch for are the two bearing spacers inside the rocker cover, don't let them drop down into the bottom end. I can probably supply a scanned copy of the cam replacement pages if you would like them.

Good luck!

thewatchslot
27th October 2013, 21:23
sorry its a bit late! but thanks for your reply,,,, i still have the bike, i dont do a lot of miles but like a ride when the sun shines.do you still have yours?
i see you got the cam from hot cams, any idea what the part number was, they do them for the xr400 and the atv. i have the xr400 manual as its in english
i also have the japanese cl400 manual but i dont read japanese, the pics help though.
I hope this finds you well.
kind regards