PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting gear lever?

crystalball
8th July 2011, 21:15
I never have done it befor but how do I raise the gear lever on my bike so I can fit a bigger boot under it. I dont want to just guess as I might fuck it up.:confused:

maggot
8th July 2011, 21:24
You wanna loosen the nut on the shifter at the engine end, take that off, adjust lever to suit and re-attach and tighten.
All the technical jargon has flown out of my mind.

pete376403
8th July 2011, 21:26
remove the bolt where it goes through the short lever on the side of the engine (you need to remove, not loosen, as there will be a groove in the gear shaft that the bolt aligns with. Move the shift lever (The boot operated one) to where you want it to be. Slide the shift lever back onto the shaft. refit the bolt, tighten.
To lift the foot lever up you'll be rotating the short lever anticlockwise. Make sure there is clearance between the engine case and the tip of the short lever as the foot lever is operated (ie you don't want it hitting the case and preventing proper gear engagement)
This sort of stuff is easy to do but quite difficult to put into words)

crystalball
8th July 2011, 21:38
o.k remove the bolt on engine lol. Is that number 1 bolt or 2 in picture. do I have to undo bolt 4 to move lever off?

maggot
8th July 2011, 21:40
Loosen #1, remove that whole segment from the shaft that goes into the engine. Then, adjust lever position, re attach and tighten bolt #1

crystalball
8th July 2011, 21:42
Loosen #1, remove that whole segment from the shaft that goes into the engine. Then, adjust lever position, re attach and tighten bolt #1

o.k cheers man. misson on now.:soon:

maggot
8th July 2011, 21:46
o.k cheers man. misson on now.:soon:

Shouldn't take more than a minute, if it does, you're doing something wrong :laugh:

bogan
8th July 2011, 21:47
Actually it looks like you have an adjuster rod in there, you only need to take the front link off the splined shaft if you run out of adjustment.

On the rod that goes from the short link to the shift lever, there should be a lock nut at one or both ends (3 and 5), loosen it/them, but bear in mind one end will be reverse threaded. Then you just spin that shaft and adjust to suit. Least that how it worked on my VT, I assume they haven't ditched the reverse thread adjustment method since.

crystalball
8th July 2011, 21:59
omg my bike went flying into the wall.

crystalball
8th July 2011, 22:02
:bleh: joke. took a few minutes but 1st time usually dose then its just a minute job lol. my boot fits snugly under it but just got to lift it up a little to change down. careful not to accidently rest my foot on it but should be all good as I rest tip of my foot on peg anyhow. cheers.

maggot
8th July 2011, 22:16
:bleh: joke. took a few minutes but 1st time usually dose then its just a minute job lol. my boot fits snugly under it but just got to lift it up a little to change down. careful not to accidently rest my foot on it but should be all good as I rest tip of my foot on peg anyhow. cheers.

Glad to help mate :)