PDA

View Full Version : RGV 250 project

turner
29th July 2011, 01:33
hi guys, im looking at buying an RGV250 VJ22 to do up, and by the looks of it it needs the cylinders re-boring or even replacing along with a new piston kit and possibly new power valves etc. etc.

so my question is where is a good place i can get the cylinders re-bored? preferably in hamilton or auckland and is there a place to source parts in NZ or aussie or will it be cheaper buying them from the uk?

tigertim20
29th July 2011, 03:09
i bet youd get price info with a few minutes on ebay, people still use and work on these bikes so it shouldnt be too hard to find out. its probably going to be cheaper getting from overseas, just make sure theyre a reputable seller and youll be sweet

Provided the cylinders havent been rehoned too many times already and theres enough meat still there, any engine reconditioners in your area should be able to sort that out for you fairly cheaply.

gammaguy
29th July 2011, 03:44
you dont get the cylinder rebored

they are hard chrome plated and pistons are not available in oversizes

if the cylinders are stuffed,replace them

good luck with teh project,RGV s are increasing in value now

imdying
29th July 2011, 09:01
You can get bored cylinders with oversized pistons, but they're quite expensive, more than either plating your own, or even buying new ones.

Get it all from Sean at The Tuning Works in the UK, cheaper, and you can get all of the other little bits at the same time. Barrels are dirt cheap to plate over there with the current forex.

turner
29th July 2011, 18:32
thanks for the info guys, im still awaiting a photo of the inside of the cylinders so i will be able to find out the condition of them. i do know that the tuning works do sell replated barrels as well. will let you all know how it goes

explode64
31st July 2011, 09:10
NZ Clyinders plate them down in the south island, I think its about $650 each. Your probly looking at about $500-$1000 for pistons and gaskets.
As far as power valves go I use the standard valve with the 4mm pins, how ever I replaces the pins, Ill try attach a diagram of the new pins, they use a 9mm centre that cant fall out.
Wicked bike though.

imdying
2nd August 2011, 16:41
NZ Clyinders plate them down in the south island, I think its about $650 each.I believe that to be accurate.

Your probly looking at about $500-$1000 for pistons and gaskets.Top end rebuild kits are NZD$400 + freight from TTW (http://www.thetuningworks.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=248).