PDA

View Full Version : Oil choices?

awa355
10th August 2011, 17:19
Probably the wrong forum, but what the hell! I',m giving the cruiser its first oil change next week since buying it.
An air cooled twin, don' t know what oil the previous owner ran in it , but he was the 1st owner, and pretty fussy as the bike is immaculate, 16,000 miles.

I thought I would run it on Castrol 4T motorbike semi synthetic.( $61 at supercheap) Any other suggestions?

p.dath
10th August 2011, 17:32
What does the manufacturer recommend?

awa355
10th August 2011, 19:19
What does the manufacturer recommend?

Handbook does not make any reference to fully syn/semi/mineral options.

Recommended grades are 10w30/40 15w40 SE,SF,SG. Not the grades I was querying so much as whether a modern 2 valve aircooled engine would be be better running semi synthetic, or mineral based oil.

Whether there are better value brands cost wise than Castrol?

My previous bike was an air cooled single and never gave any problems with semi syn in the engine.

Another question? Has anyone heard of an engine giving trouble through using aftermarket oil filters. My dealers OE filter is $18.50. Supercheap have an oil filter listed for my bike and for 1/3 the price. It has all the Yamaha models using the filter listed on the packaging.
Is saving $12 worth the risk of engine failure? Not in my book. Then again, Yamaha probably out source the manufacture of filters anyway.

AllanB
10th August 2011, 19:28
Filter brands - depends. They are not all equal - for $6 or so stick with the factory one.

Oil, Pick a bike specific oil at the correct weight and rating and you'll be fine. Yes synthetic is better. You decide if it is worth the extra $ for your bike :love:

I will comment that some bikes behave differently on different oils or brands of oil - my gear box shifting is fussy on oil and brands. It did not preform well with Castrol semi synthetic. Moutul semi was a lot better and the full synth Spectro in there now is the best yet - just don't ask what it cost! :facepalm:

steve_t
10th August 2011, 19:32
Drop Quasi a line. He's the man with the info here. He may even be able to hook you up

YellowDog
10th August 2011, 19:59
If you're going to be changing the oil regularly, like every 5k, going overboard on a $120 a pop fully synthetic Racing Oil will be overkill.

Just so long as you get the right rating and preferrably a semi-synthetic, you'll be fine :yes:

devo
10th August 2011, 21:44
Try these
Ive been using the full syn since 20K,(used the semi before so as to let the rings bed in properly ) and wouldnt think of any thing else.
Have been using Total oils in my bikes,cars and 4x4s for the last 6 years and swear by it.
Am currently paying between $10 and $11 per litre.

pritch
11th August 2011, 07:43
I will comment that some bikes behave differently on different oils or brands of oil - my gear box shifting is fussy on oil and brands. It did not preform well with Castrol semi synthetic. Moutul semi was a lot better and the full synth Spectro in there now is the best yet - just don't ask what it cost! :facepalm:

The word "synthetic" is used differently by Castrol (and Shell) to most of the rest of the industry. The Motul and Spectro products are what they say they are.

The Mobil V Twin oil (whatever it is called currently) is also fine in cruisers.

wysper
11th August 2011, 10:45
The Mobil V Twin oil (whatever it is called currently) is also fine in cruisers.

+1 on this, I am going to put that in the sporty next change.
I think Quasi was saying it will be available in Repco soon.

But I could be wrong about that.

Owl
11th August 2011, 12:31
While "Mobil 1 4T 15W-50" may not be your thing, this crowd http://www.mobmech.co.nz/diesel-truck-mechanic.html also do Mobil V-Twin and their prices are very good.

They charge 55+ for 4lts of Mobil 1 4T and ship around the country for about $10. Could be worth a phone call?

awa355
11th August 2011, 12:46
Here is something I've just picked up from another website.

"The filtration system and the oil are vital tools for preserving engine life. A highly efficient oil filter is essential to protect an engine by removing both liquid abrasive contaminants held in suspension by the oil. It must be stated and understood with critical importance that there are wide variances in the quality of motor oils. Certain lower quality oils do not have quality base stock oils and additive packages to support intense heat and shear forces and longer drain intervals while other higher quality oils can have significantly longer drain intervals.

Also keep in mind that the micron rating of an engine oil filter means absolutely nothing unless the efficiency (particle capture percentage) of the filter is stated also. If a filter is stated to be a "10 micron filter" but the efficiency graph shows it only traps 5% of the 10 micron particles then it isn't doing much good at filtering out 10 micron particles. For example, one particular oil filter manufacturer's oil filters are 98.7% efficient absolute at removing 15 micron particles. Note that this is an absolute number and not a nominal rating as many other filters are rated at. "

I take it, that the 10 micron eg above, refers to the minimum size of waste particle the filter will take out of the oil. Can't remember ever seeing an 'Efficiency graph' on a filter package.

Taz
11th August 2011, 18:29
Wow an oil thread :corn:

steve_t
11th August 2011, 18:31
Wow an oil thread :corn:

Don't forget to wave as you ride by while I pump up my tyres. Oh, what pressures do you recommend? :innocent:

wysper
12th August 2011, 09:09
Don't forget to wave as you ride by while I pump up my tyres. Oh, what pressures do you recommend? :innocent:

I always check my tire pressures ATGATT, sometimes even hi vis to be really safe

bsasuper
12th August 2011, 19:33
If $$ is no object them Amsoil is No1, then Mobil 1 motorcycle range, then Maxima oils.I use Mobil 1 4t as I can now get it at repco.

GrayWolf
14th August 2011, 17:55
I have used the Havoline semi synthetic oil ($40 approx) from the good old Red Shed on my bikes for a fair time. I travel 20,000+ k's a year. Only proviso I self inflict is Oil/new filter every 5,000km's

Quasievil
14th August 2011, 18:47
If $$ is no object them Amsoil is No1, then Mobil 1 motorcycle range, then Maxima oils.I use Mobil 1 4t as I can now get it at repco.

:laugh:What do you base this on, im interested, amsoil spend most of their time dissing Mobil
fact is they arent in the same league, unless you ask them of course.

awa355
14th August 2011, 18:48
I have used the Havoline semi synthetic oil ($40 approx) from the good old Red Shed on my bikes for a fair time. I travel 20,000+ k's a year. Only proviso I self inflict is Oil/new filter every 5,000km's

Do you change the semi syn oil every 5,000k with the filter ?

Has it affected the clutch operation at all? I know not to use oil with 'friction modifiers' added but some of the labels can be confusing to read.

I have always changed the filter every oil change. But under the impression that with semi or fully synthetic, oil changes could be extended past the 5thou mark.

YellowDog
14th August 2011, 19:16
Do you change the semi syn oil every 5,000k with the filter ?

Has it affected the clutch operation at all? I know not to use oil with 'friction modifiers' added but some of the labels can be confusing to read.

I have always changed the filter every oil change. But under the impression that with semi or fully synthetic, oil changes could be extended past the 5thou mark.

It depends upon the sort of riding you are doing. I used to change oil every 5k, but now I use the $80 a pop Mobil One fully synthetic stuff, I change aqround every 10k orr whenever as reduced price deal comes up :yes:

AllanB
14th August 2011, 19:20
I disagree with extending oil changes when using semi or full synthetic oil. Because whats the point of putting in a better oil if you are only going to leave it in your engine longer so contaminants can circulate longer?

You'd be better off with a mineral oil changed earlier than recommended than leaving a better oil in longer IMO. I am pretty sure some years back Mobil got in the shit claiming you could leave Mobil 1 in your car for zillions of miles. Of course Americans tried this ....... and went to court.

If you stick to a motorcycle synthetic you'll have no clutch issues on a later model bike.

Go on - just buy a 4l pack, new filter and treat your engine. :Punk:

Quasievil
14th August 2011, 20:00
I disagree with extending oil changes when using semi or full synthetic oil. Because whats the point of putting in a better oil if you are only going to leave it in your engine longer so contaminants can circulate longer?

You'd be better off with a mineral oil changed earlier than recommended than leaving a better oil in longer IMO. I am pretty sure some years back Mobil got in the shit claiming you could leave Mobil 1 in your car for zillions of miles. Of course Americans tried this ....... and went to court.

If you stick to a motorcycle synthetic you'll have no clutch issues on a later model bike.

Go on - just buy a 4l pack, new filter and treat your engine. :Punk:

you will never be better off with a Mineral oil in anything, purely impossible if only by the make up of the base stock used to make it.
mineral oil = rubbing your engine parts together with gravel as a barrier (figuratively speaking)
Synthetic = rubbing the engine parts together with exactly the same sized marbles

Clearly one will have less friction, heat,wear, etc etc etc

thats the most simplistic way I can describe it.

"MOST" so called synthetics are actually hydro cracked and highly refined Group III base stocks, i.e Gravel (not literally gravel but if you understand the picture Im trying to portray)
"FEW" are actually GIIII Base stocks or PAO (polyalphaolyfins derived from Gas)

"ONE" only makes their own basestocks exclusive to their product and not available to anyone else, and only "ONE" couples this proprietry base stock with their specifically developed additive package, that product is MOBIL 1 racing 4T 10W-40

Mobil 1 use the words "worlds Leading Synthetic Oil" for a reason

bsasuper
14th August 2011, 22:20
Quasi, I was referring to amsoil as the most expensive.Like I said I now use Mobil 1 4t 10-40, a most excellent oil.