PDA

View Full Version : CRF250R - Clutch issue

RAYDEO
22nd August 2011, 11:45
Hi guys, been around bikes for a while but first time if had an issue like this, so thought I'd see if its common and what to do about it.

Im riding a CRF250R motoX bike.

imagine you kick it into life and youre sitting there, you pull the clutch in and put it in 1st gear, still sitting there you give it a rev or two and can feel it wanting to pull forward (the clutch leaver is still fully pulled in)

i have ajusted the cable at the top of the leaver to there is NO play in the leaver at all. but still the clutch is making a connection.

is riding in 1st, and comming to a stop, you pull in the clutch and gently apply the brake, you can hear the revs lowering untill you are fully stopped and then the revs come up from close to stalling to a ralitivly normal idel.

any ideas? is there another ajustment i can make? or is this normal?

any help welcomed!

Katman
22nd August 2011, 13:38
More than likely the fingers on the clutch basket have grooves worn in them causing the plates to have trouble separating.

The clutch basket fingers can be filed smooth again.

RAYDEO
23rd August 2011, 09:36
is it bad for the bike?

Katman
23rd August 2011, 15:17
No, it's not bad for the bike.

It is a fairly simple fix though.

RAYDEO
23rd August 2011, 15:45
ok, wow I can rebuild an EJ20 Subaru Engine, but I would know where to start on this sucker, is there anyone around the Central North Island that could help out?

Katman
23rd August 2011, 19:53
ok, wow I can rebuild an EJ20 Subaru Engine, but I would know where to start on this sucker, is there anyone around the Central North Island that could help out?

Probably just around the corner.

RAYDEO
29th August 2011, 16:44
Gave her a good blast during the weekend and the issue seems to have cleared up. touch wood.

Is it a common problem when cold?

bsasuper
31st August 2011, 15:46
It might be the oil you are using.A few people who use castrol power 1 have reported clutch/gearbox problems, changing oil to different brand solved the problem.Or it could be the clutch plates have to go in a certin way, ie the last friction plate locates on different basket fingers.You need to adjust the cable so there IS a bit of free play.