PDA

View Full Version : Some **** idiot moved my bike while I was at work! Now it won't engage gears

Hack0r
11th September 2011, 22:20
So 30mins ago I went to leave work.. Get outside to find my bike moved, clearly by another person who works in my building. Steering lock was on so they must have lifted it to get it were it was.

Started my bike but now it wont engage gears. Clutch cable is still working, full of oil and the chain is attached.

Its a 1990 FZR250. Normally when I change gears with the clutch in you can feel it kick in, but now its like I'm changing gears with it off.

Any Ideas?

I've got the guys plate, will work out tomorrow who moved it!

MIXONE
11th September 2011, 22:40
Don't know about the gearbox problem but dicks moving your bike is a no no.:angry:

JustNick
11th September 2011, 22:52
I'm curious, did he park in the spot where you bike was originally? How did you know his licence plate?

ducatilover
11th September 2011, 23:19
When trying for first gear, push down on your gear lever and very slowly release the clutch. These things can happen :yes:

Laava
11th September 2011, 23:19
So are you saying that the gearbox no longer works? Or that it feels different to how it did before?

sleemanj
11th September 2011, 23:43
Engine off. Clutch out. Lift up on gear lever as if going for second, and rock the bike. Probably will click in, get it back down into neutral and go from there.

YellowDog
12th September 2011, 00:00
Yep, as has been said, it's probably just a coincidence that you get stuck between too cogs. Your chain may be a little too tight.

On and off the biting point with pressure on the gear selector should sort it for you.

Good luck.

As for moving your bike:

:No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No:

Hack0r
12th September 2011, 00:38
I'm curious, did he park in the spot where you bike was originally? How did you know his licence plate?

Yeah exactly the same car park, its his park during normal business hours. I work shift work and I always park there after hours. I just remember why, because there is CCTV footage of that spot. I'll be checking that tomorrow!

Hack0r
12th September 2011, 00:44
When trying for first gear, push down on your gear lever and very slowly release the clutch. These things can happen :yes:

I know what you're saying and I tried that. In fact I tried engaging any gear and nothing! I'm thinking maybe the chain has come off on the engine end? but I cant see, taking my tools tomorrow and I'll have a look.

Not long after I originally put this post up the guy came back to his car. He had been at the rugby and that's why he wanted to park at work. Plenty of other parks around, but no.. he had to have the one with my bike in. I told him my bike was no longer working, I got a blank stare. We just moved it from here to there.

I was like, I just drove it here. You move it and now its not engaging gears?

No apology or anything. I ONLY got home 2 hours later than I should without my bike.

Hack0r
12th September 2011, 00:47
Yep, as has been said, it's probably just a coincidence that you get stuck between too cogs. Your chain may be a little too tight.

On and off the biting point with pressure on the gear selector should sort it for you.

Good luck.

As for moving your bike:

:No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No: :No:

I adjusted the chain length 1.5 months ago, havent checked it recently doubt it would be to tight. I can feel the gears change just nothing happens when I let the clutch out.

tigertim20
12th September 2011, 02:22
rock the bike forwards slowly, as you tryto engage the gears, sequential gearboxes can be a bit cunty sometimes.

Id be having a pretty damned serious chat with this fucktard.
Ask himn how he would feel if you 'just got your V8, and dragged his car across the parking lot so you could park in his spot' - because its exactly the same fucking thing. Id probably start screaming cuss words and whack someone for moving my bike, but im an angry tourettes mother fucker:yes:

Str8 Jacket
12th September 2011, 06:49
The last time someone moved my bike (dragged it) without asking me to do so first wore such an earful that he is scared of me for life. Word got around pretty fast that I am a physcho, so now no one touches my lil PoS......

p.dath
12th September 2011, 07:32
Started my bike but now it wont engage gears. Clutch cable is still working, full of oil and the chain is attached.

Its a 1990 FZR250. Normally when I change gears with the clutch in you can feel it kick in, but now its like I'm changing gears with it off.

Try first. Rock the bike forwards and backwards while trying to put it into first. Sometimes the gearbox gears into a funny position, and rocking it backwards and forwards a few times gets everything back to where it is meant to be.

ducatilover
12th September 2011, 09:55
I vote the rocking if my "easing clutch out whilst trying to engage 1st or 2nd" didn't work.

I fail to see how moving a bike by lifting it could have ruined the shift forks or shifty thingy. Once done drill his knee caps out.

nzspokes
12th September 2011, 10:13
Ask for his insurance details as the bike has to go into a motorbike shop for a gearbox rebuild. tell him it will cost a min of 4k. You will then have his attention.

imdying
12th September 2011, 11:33
No falling damage? Hasn't been over and bent the selector shaft?

bogan
12th September 2011, 11:44
I adjusted the chain length 1.5 months ago, havent checked it recently doubt it would be to tight. I can feel the gears change just nothing happens when I let the clutch out.

When you say you can feel them change, is it a nice positive click, or is it possibly not fully engaging? If you change up a few gears (engine off, may require some rocking to engage gears) then come down does it all feel like it should? Some bikes have a free move when going down from first so you know you are out of gears, others don't allow any shifter movement, as long as you get that from first down, but not third to second etc, I'd say your gearbox is still good. Could be a clutch issue, what is the free play like on it when the lever is out?

Crasherfromwayback
12th September 2011, 11:51
Could be a clutch issue, what is the free play like on it when the lever is out?

Aye. The cable hasn't come up out of the adjuster and snagged has it...meaning the clutch is semi disengaged?

bogan
12th September 2011, 11:57
Aye. The cable hasn't come up out of the adjuster and snagged has it...meaning the clutch is semi disengaged?

Had an intersting issue on my CR, the clutch center nut came loose, so adjusted my free play, then was shit again about 3 shifts later, good thing I didn't just ignore it as the basket was making progress through the clutch cover!

Crasherfromwayback
12th September 2011, 12:00
Had an intersting issue on my CR, the clutch center nut came loose, so adjusted my free play, then was shit again about 3 shifts later, good thing I didn't just ignore it as the basket was making progress through the clutch cover!

Hahaha...yep, that's nasty!

Paul in NZ
12th September 2011, 12:11

Yeah I was thinking along those lines. If some oaf picked it up and snagged the clutch cable it could have ripped it out of the adjuster or broken the cable BUT I'd expect to feel that and assorted graunching...

Is the gear lever actually turning the shaft or has the said oaf picked it up by the lever and stripped the splines (now THATS going to be a bitch)

Anyway - what a fuckwit moving someone elses bike

bogan
12th September 2011, 12:23
I wouldn't put too much weight on the assumption that said oaf caused the damage, just figure out what is wrong, then figure out whether the numpty caused it, and send him a bill.

imdying
12th September 2011, 12:34
I wouldn't put too much weight on the assumption that said oaf caused the damage, just figure out what is wrong, then figure out whether the numpty caused it, and send him a bill.Agreed :yes:

bsasuper
12th September 2011, 16:47
Jack his car up and put it on blocks so drive wheels are just off the ground

Hack0r
12th September 2011, 17:55
Yeah I was thinking along those lines. If some oaf picked it up and snagged the clutch cable it could have ripped it out of the adjuster or broken the cable BUT I'd expect to feel that and assorted graunching...

Is the gear lever actually turning the shaft or has the said oaf picked it up by the lever and stripped the splines (now THATS going to be a bitch)

Anyway - what a fuckwit moving someone elses bike

Yeah that was my first thought, I checked the clutch cable and it is all attached correctly. I checked last night to see if he had dropped it, no damage anywhere I could see. Gear leaver is fine, Its defiantly changing gears. Its like there the clutch isn't completing the gap between the engine and the gearbox.

I'm not assuming it was him, the fact that I rode it to work - he moved it - and now it doesnt go is high in my mind.

I'm hoping the chain has just come off but I had to be in early for meetings this morning and forgot my tools. So I'll have to take the chain cover off tomorrow.

I'll attempt the rocking idea before I head home today. But when its in gear (engine off) there is no resistance, its like I'm moving it in neutral.

I wish I could rage at him, the fact is he is "higher up" than me in our work place and the vehicle belongs to work..

If Its not the chain, I think I'll call my insurance company and consult them.

Anymore Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Was unable to view the cctv footage today because our camera computer isn't working. I have to wait for the IT guy to fix it.

jellywrestler
13th September 2011, 10:13
Any Ideas?

I've got the guys plate, will work out tomorrow who moved it!
Don't leave it parked in gear, tis a bad habit

wysper
13th September 2011, 11:32

I don't, but why is that?

and as for your avatar question, I don't see a frog but I do see jabba the hutt.

bogan
13th September 2011, 11:40
I'm hoping the chain has just come off but I had to be in early for meetings this morning and forgot my tools. So I'll have to take the chain cover off tomorrow.

If the chain has come off you would have a lot more slack in it, or you would hear a rather horrible noise when you let the clutch out I would think. I reckon that clutch cover is going to have to come off, and have a looky in there (would need to drain oil or lean over a lot so you don't leave a big oil pool).

Paul in NZ
13th September 2011, 12:18
If the chain has come off you would have a lot more slack in it, or you would hear a rather horrible noise when you let the clutch out I would think. I reckon that clutch cover is going to have to come off, and have a looky in there (would need to drain oil or lean over a lot so you don't leave a big oil pool).

Pull the sprocket cover first or pop it in gear and push it forwards - see if the chain is connected.

I guess the clutch centre could be loose on the shaft but I'd bet there was a shit load of noise and the clutch would feel funny

jellywrestler
13th September 2011, 12:39
I don't, but why is that?

and as for your avatar question, I don't see a frog but I do see jabba the hutt.
Several reasons, one can forget it's in gear and fire it up and off she goes (yes i know a lot have failsafe mechanisms for this)
Someone goes to move it and is caught out by not expecting it to be in gear and drop it (yes I know you're going to say no-one should move it)
and it puts uneccesary strain on the gear components etc. (yes I know it should all be able to take it and that's the path you would use to crash start it etc)

At the end of the day leaving it out of gear is a better options as if any of the above happens you'll be the one paying most of the time

by the way the frogs there, actually more like a toad

Hack0r
13th September 2011, 22:53
Ok, took my tools in tonight. Took the sprocket cover off to check the chain.

After opening it the problem was evident straight away. The nut thats meant to hold the sprocket on had come off including the locking washer. I was like well that was simple (still questioning how it came off) only to find that the nut has no thread what so ever!

Clearly this didn't happen from some random guy moving it. And I guess I should be glad something didn't happen while I was riding and lock the back wheel up.

So because there was no nut holding the sprocket on, It's slid to where there is no spine and was just spinning on the shaft.

I've included a photo of the nut and locking washer. You can actually see that there is no thread.

Anyone have any Ideas where the hell I will get another one? rather quickly :) as I've just been in the USA for 5 weeks and I sold my car before I left. Only have my bike to get to work and back now. Hoping to find one in the morning so I can put it back together and ride it home :P

Reckless
13th September 2011, 22:56
Ok, took my tools in tonight. Took the sprocket cover off to check the chain.

After opening it the problem was evident straight away. The nut thats meant to hold the sprocket on had come off including the locking washer. I was like well that was simple (still questioning how it came off) only to find that the nut has no thread what so ever!

Clearly this didn't happen from some random guy moving it. And I guess I should be glad something didn't happen while I was riding and lock the back wheel up.

So because there was no nut holding the sprocket on, It's slid to where there is no spine and was just spinning on the shaft.

I've included a photo of the nut and locking washer. You can actually see that there is no thread.

Anyone have any Ideas where the hell I will get another one? rather quickly :) as I've just been in the USA for 5 weeks and I sold my car before I left. Only have my bike to get to work and back now. Hoping to find one in the morning so I can put it back together and ride it home :P

The important question would be whats the thread on the shaft like? Did you check it?

Hack0r
13th September 2011, 23:02
The important question would be whats the thread on the shaft like? Did you check it?

yes my first thought as well. Completely fine by some miracle! So I just need to replace the nut and washer.

Reckless
13th September 2011, 23:06
yes my first thought as well. Completely fine by some miracle! So I just need to replace the nut and washer.

Awesome your very lucky! These should be reasonably purchaseable?

Try the closest wrecker to you? Even drop into your local bike shop might have a nut in their spares box if that fails order one retail?

oh if you can't get the washer and get desperate, you can flatten that one out with a hammer and use the sides of it that haven't been used and fold new lock tabs over on the unused sides.

Good luck!

Hack0r
13th September 2011, 23:10
I'm in wellington city, so I'll try Wellington Motorcycles in the morning failing that I think i'll call Yamaha. If they're going to take to long I'll call around the reckers. Unless anyone has any better ideas :)

I just hope its a common nut :)

Bald Eagle
13th September 2011, 23:19

What you talkin about this is KB we're all common nuts.

MikeD400
13th September 2011, 23:26
I'm in wellington city, so I'll try Wellington Motorcycles in the morning failing that I think i'll call Yamaha. If they're going to take to long I'll call around the reckers. Unless anyone has any better ideas :)

So where do you work? Next time im down those ways ill sort the guy out for ya get one of the boys to film it and post on youtube "why cagers shudnt touch rider's bikes"....

I was at work one friday afternoon having beers with the boys and we were down the back of the warehouse doin doughnuts on our sweet 50cc motorized barstool lol, anyways i see a headlight heading up the isle..... Warehouse manager pulls up on my bike (he doesnt even ride or have a L license) and tells me his missus has arrived to pick him up and hes off home now seeya later.... I pulled the keys and droped the stand and softly told him to gtfo my bike and never to do that ever again, so i know how you feel not being able to rip your work mate a new one.

Hack0r
13th September 2011, 23:58
So where do you work? Next time im down those ways ill sort the guy out for ya get one of the boys to film it and post on youtube "why cagers shudnt touch rider's bikes"....

I was at work one friday afternoon having beers with the boys and we were down the back of the warehouse doin doughnuts on our sweet 50cc motorized barstool lol, anyways i see a headlight heading up the isle..... Warehouse manager pulls up on my bike (he doesnt even ride or have a L license) and tells me his missus has arrived to pick him up and hes off home now seeya later.... I pulled the keys and droped the stand and softly told him to gtfo my bike and never to do that ever again, so i know how you feel not being able to rip your work mate a new one.

Haha, thanks for the offer. I work for a government department and you would more than likely be arrested on the spot for doing such a thing to this person. :P

I'm still yet to see the footage of this guy moving it. At least I know now he didnt accutally damage it.

ducatilover
14th September 2011, 00:35
Well.....That's an easy fix :blink:

Crasherfromwayback
14th September 2011, 10:42

Doubt we'll have anything mate. Try us by all means...come and ask for me (Pete).

Failing that...Boyle Kawasaki have heaps and heaps of used bits out the back of the shop and may well have something.

Hack0r
14th September 2011, 11:04
Doubt we'll have anything mate. Try us by all means...come and ask for me (Pete).

Failing that...Boyle Kawasaki have heaps and heaps of used bits out the back of the shop and may well have something.

Went in this morning at like 7.40am. Spoke to the guy at the front counter. He was helpful and said he would make a few calls and get back to me.

Crasherfromwayback
14th September 2011, 11:09
Went in this morning at like 7.40am. Spoke to the guy at the front counter. He was helpful and said he would make a few calls and get back to me.

That'll be Mike I'd think. I'll follow him up.

Buckets4Me
16th September 2011, 22:09

so now we are going to bash a cager that didn't cause any problems and was only getting HIS car park back :facepalm:

someone must have some spares for this guy. I'm to far north to help and only have suzuki kawasaki parts that may or may not fit.

LBD
16th September 2011, 22:26

Always leave it in gear especially on a slope or windy welly....its the bike equivelent of a park brake.

Get in the habit of checking the bike is in neutral before starting, and then holding the clutch in when starting as well.

(Starting while in gear and holding the clutch in only increases starting load...always start in neutral)

Un necessary load on gear train.... pppffftttt:facepalm:

thepom
2nd October 2011, 08:13
I can see the toad....:yes:

Disco Dan
2nd October 2011, 09:43
I have a few nuts that would be similar size to the one in the picture.

Take a few measurements and send them to me. I will check them against the nuts I have and can pop it in the post.

-----------

Unfortunately smaller naked bikes are more likely to be moved than a large fully faired bike or a big chromed hog.

When I was starting out with bikes I had a few instances of my bike being moved - however once I broke into the 'big bikes' stage it was quite rare as just looking at it puts off most people of moving it.

I always used to keep it in gear when parked, good practice.

If my boss moved my bike without consent I would have no problem in going above his head to his boss and lodging a formal complaint. If I was feeling particularly vengeful (and flush) I would wait a few days then call a tow truck - simply ask him/her to move your boss' car to another parking spot. Just to give him a fright - and that it IS the same thing and that is how it feels.