PDA

View Full Version : How to repair a leaking radiator at home?

crystalball
19th September 2011, 16:43
Hi, have noticed a leak from the front grill of the radiator. A small stone or object must have been the culprit. Now it only seaps out while I am rideing as it must be only a small hole. I have a slight idea where the hole is not 100% sure. While I am riding it sprays onto my bike so need to sort it out. Is there any product or way I can fix a leak ? Or is it a job for a motorcycle shop. photo below gives an idea.:corn:

unstuck
19th September 2011, 16:59
Unless you are confident that you can handle it of course.:yes:

slofox
19th September 2011, 17:13
Have had the odd radiator repaired at radiator fixup shops. Usually pretty cheap job...

Quasievil
19th September 2011, 17:25
Had that happen to a race bike at the track, we

tilted the bike over so no water came out, keeping the hole dry
scratched the surface to expose the hole
filled it with an epoxy two pot mix glue
re filled and checked the levels
and then

we raced for the rest of the nationals rounds

lol

crystalball
19th September 2011, 17:46
O.k will give East Tamiki radiators a buz in morning. I will leave bike with them and pick it up after work or on lunch break. How much about do you think it cost Slofox ?

sinfull
19th September 2011, 17:52
O.k will give East Tamiki radiators a buz in morning. I will leave bike with them and pick it up after work or on lunch break. How much about do you think it cost Slofox ?

A lot less if you just take the radiator to them !! They aint a bike shop and their spannering may not be in the best interest of your bike as well !!!!

crystalball
19th September 2011, 17:59
Year just that my bike only way of transport. So mayby the bike shop will be better then.

slofox
19th September 2011, 18:41

Dunno - last one I had done was a car radiator and it was a fair old while ago.

If you can be arsed removing the rad yourself, you will save a lot of time and cash. The job itself will probably only take minutes - they usually pressure test it to find the leak and then solder it IIRC. Always assuming the core is basically sound.

kiwi cowboy
19th September 2011, 19:12
Had a small hole in my race bike and bike shop told me to use i think the name is CAT SHIT and thats what it smells like too.

It comes in a small block and the whole thing is for a car radiator so cut it into three and use one piece.

That was two years ago and no more leeks.

Hi, have noticed a leak from the front grill of the radiator. A small stone or object must have been the culprit. Now it only seaps out while I am rideing as it must be only a small hole. I have a slight idea where the hole is not 100% sure. While I am riding it sprays onto my bike so need to sort it out. Is there any product or way I can fix a leak ? Or is it a job for a motorcycle shop. photo below gives an idea.:corn:

NinjaBoy
19th September 2011, 19:33
There is also a loctite product (similar to kneadit) specificially for fixing radiators. It handles heat and is watertight. It's available from Repco. I have used it on my race bike and it has lasted all season.

White trash
19th September 2011, 19:43
Crack an egg into it. I dare ya to...........

unstuck
19th September 2011, 19:45
May be helpful, maybe not.:blink: http://www.caswellplating.com/permatex/permrepairprods.html

crystalball
19th September 2011, 19:50
May be helpful, maybe not.:blink: http://www.caswellplating.com/permatex/permrepairprods.html

nice link. Also think I will get a better radiator guard down the line. or add some more meshing under or over the one allready on it. Cause stuff freaking out about darn radiator every time im on the road.:blink:

crystalball
24th September 2011, 08:55
Well all fixed but $160 all up :whocares: its fixed. Took it into bike shop they had send it of to another place to get fixed and took 2 days. So got a nice little hyosung comit 250 (for free just had fill up with gas when gave back) to use for work and home while I waited. The bike guy is gona make me a cheap custom gaurd for it and he made a small piece to fill the gap on my gaurd where the stone hit.

unstuck
24th September 2011, 11:43
Nothing wrong with that.:yes: I love your signature too,so true.

awayatc
24th September 2011, 11:54
I love your signature too,so true.

Kiwibiker............?

sounds like nana afternoon tea talk to me.....

otter
2nd October 2011, 19:14
<snip> So got a nice little hyosung comit 250 (for free just had fill up with gas when gave back) to use for work and home while I waited. <snip>

How come some bike shops lend you some sort of "courtesy bike" and others won't and you end up pedaling around everywhere. Anyone know shops in Hamilton that will?

unstuck
2nd October 2011, 19:52
Kiwibiker............?

sounds like nana afternoon tea talk to me.....

Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....