PDA

View Full Version : Hornet 250 - stalls without revs. Hesitation with revs

shanks
20th September 2011, 22:56
Hi,
I have recently started to have a problem on my bike. It will start up fine without choke without any problem. But last night on the way back home, it sounded little different when I turned it on and felt like it was just dying on neutral without any revs
So I open the throttle to keep it going. This happened a few times. Then at the lights, when I was waiting on 1st gear, it just died when I took my hand off the throttle. So I had to start it again and give it rev's to prevent it from dying.

Moreover after stalling, sometimes it wouldnt start straightaway. Give it sometime it starts back but have to give revs to keep it running.

Also noticed hesitation when I would open the throttle. That kinda signals me that I have to keep giving revs to keep it running otherwise it will stall.

A mechanic had a look at it last week. He cleaned the spark plug in the bike and put it back in. The bike ran all fine couple of days and then it happened again yesterday...

I only got the bike three weeks ago and I hardly know anything about bikes. Any advice/help is much appreciated!

DrunkenMistake
20th September 2011, 23:09
Hi,
I have recently started to have a problem on my bike. It will start up fine without choke without any problem. But last night on the way back home, it sounded little different when I turned it on and felt like it was just dying on neutral without any revs
So I open the throttle to keep it going. This happened a few times. Then at the lights, when I was waiting on 1st gear, it just died when I took my hand off the throttle. So I had to start it again and give it rev's to prevent it from dying.

Moreover after stalling, sometimes it wouldnt start straightaway. Give it sometime it starts back but have to give revs to keep it running.

Also noticed hesitation when I would open the throttle. That kinda signals me that I have to keep giving revs to keep it running otherwise it will stall.

A mechanic had a look at it last week. He cleaned the spark plug in the bike and put it back in. The bike ran all fine couple of days and then it happened again yesterday...

I only got the bike three weeks ago and I hardly know anything about bikes. Any advice/help is much appreciated!
Could be fouled plugs.. which could meannnn the oil has been over filled perhaps,
change the plugs.
Sounds more like a Fuel problem though, could be a blocked jet causing the drama, does it surge of splutter when your riding?

maggot
21st September 2011, 10:41
Or possibly your mechanic has swapped plugs to colder ones accidentally, would run alright at first, but as the plugs fouled it'd get progressively worse. Happened to me recently, popped out the plugs, compared them to manual, took them back to the shop and demanded a refund. Not been back to the shop since.

EDIT: Just read he cleaned the plugs, not swapped them, my bad, disregard above :shutup:

actungbaby
21st September 2011, 10:44
almost sounds like its idle jet weahter its the float level does it rev freely on mid trotttle yeah try checking the plugs like other man said and air filter
if its paper element you can use air compressor to blow air trough from inside out
unless its really dirty and then replacment whould be best.
also first of you chould just try turning patrol tap of on the tank and remove the drain screws on the carbs might be bit tricky getitng to the inside ones
idea am thinking there maybe some dirt or rust flakes in carb bowls
or old dry petrol flakes

Hi,

gijoe1313
21st September 2011, 12:21
How many kays has your lil'ol'hornet done? All the above advice is sound, but the easiest fix is to replace your sparks with iridiums and see how that goes. Has another rider here with the same prob, gave him the same advice!

I had this happen so just whipped the sparks out straight away and no problems after that. If it still persists, then you can look at the fuelling issue.

shanks
21st September 2011, 23:14
Thanks guys for getting back!

Yea it does splutter when I start it at times.. Kinda sounds like a cruiser bike but thats not what it sounds like when its all good.

Hey gijoe1313, its done about 31,000 Kms. Yea, maybe the other spark plug (the one that mechanic didnt look at) could be wrong? I have only filled the gas once since I bought it and it was 95 petrol from Shell. The previous owner has been using 95, but I dont know which company, i guess the company doesnt matter?

There is a small leak of engine oil. The mechanic had said that it is due the gasket ("rocker"?) wearing off which needs replacing. The engine oil level is well above the margin and the oil looks clean.

shanks
23rd September 2011, 14:04
How many kays has your lil'ol'hornet done? All the above advice is sound, but the easiest fix is to replace your sparks with iridiums and see how that goes. Has another rider here with the same prob, gave him the same advice!

I had this happen so just whipped the sparks out straight away and no problems after that. If it still persists, then you can look at the fuelling issue.

Hi Gijoe!

The mechanic also suggested replacing all the four spark plugs. So I am getting him to replace the spark plugs. He said its $80 for four spark plugs + $40 service. Does that sound reasonable??? Supercheap auto is showing as cheap as $7 per plug?? :blink:
Cheers

DrunkenMistake
23rd September 2011, 14:14
Hi Gijoe!

The mechanic also suggested replacing all the four spark plugs. So I am getting him to replace the spark plugs. He said its $80 for four spark plugs + $40 service. Does that sound reasonable??? Supercheap auto is showing as cheap as $7 per plug?? :blink:
Cheers

Is it a grease monkey or a bike shop mechanic?

For gods sake dont try save money and go to a Car mechanic. :facepalm:

maggot
23rd September 2011, 16:00
Hi Gijoe!

Cheers

Prices are reasonable imo. Bear in mind the plugs Supercheap have aren't motorcycle plugs, I don't think. Last time I needed to get plugs, four set me back $80. Forty bucks for labour seems reasonable also.. But as said above, make sure this is a trusted mechanic, not some tool with a spanner :yes:

shanks
25th September 2011, 08:46
Prices are reasonable imo. Bear in mind the plugs Supercheap have aren't motorcycle plugs, I don't think. Last time I needed to get plugs, four set me back $80. Forty bucks for labour seems reasonable also.. But as said above, make sure this is a trusted mechanic, not some tool with a spanner :yes:

Hey, thanks for that. I just needed a second opinion. Yes, these guys are Motorcycle Doctors :)

gijoe1313
25th September 2011, 09:42
MC doctors ... all good! If you can spring for the extra pingers, go with iridiums! (it's internal bling for your bike!) - and usually when you replace plugs, you normally do the whole batch!

Let us know how you get on!

SilentDtH
1st October 2011, 17:05
This might sound a bit silly, but make sure you have enough fuel in your little hornet. Even if you can swish the fuel around it doesn't necessarily mean there is enough.

This is coming from experience, I thought there was enough and my hornet 250 kept cutting out on the way home from Whangarei. Turns out the problem was... not enough gas in the tank!!

Good luck!

shanks
11th October 2011, 21:42
This might sound a bit silly, but make sure you have enough fuel in your little hornet. Even if you can swish the fuel around it doesn't necessarily mean there is enough.

This is coming from experience, I thought there was enough and my hornet 250 kept cutting out on the way home from Whangarei. Turns out the problem was... not enough gas in the tank!!

Good luck!

Hey, Yea the tank was empty last time it died ha! According to my calculation i still had 50ks to go but obviously wrong so once on reserve it came alive again.
Also one important point that the mechanic said was to fill up with 91 not 95 especially for honda 250cc which may be the reason on previous problems? My bike is 1996 hornet 250.

nzmikey
11th October 2011, 21:54
Hi Gijoe!

Cheers

Holy shit :shit:, My plugs for my Hornet from Cycle Treads are $30 a plug & I know they are the correct plugs ...... are you sure you are pricing the correct plugs up ??

nzmikey
11th October 2011, 21:57
Hey, Yea the tank was empty last time it died ha! According to my calculation i still had 50ks to go but obviously wrong so once on reserve it came alive again.
Also one important point that the mechanic said was to fill up with 91 not 95 especially for honda 250cc which may be the reason on previous problems? My bike is 1996 hornet 250.

I find not alot of difference between 91 & 96 oct , i use 91 around town & when i do large rides ( 300km+ i tend to run 96 , dont ask )

shanks
12th October 2011, 21:28
Holy shit :shit:, My plugs for my Hornet from Cycle Treads are $30 a plug & I know they are the correct plugs ...... are you sure you are pricing the correct plugs up ??

Nah, those $7 ones are for cars haha. I paid $80 for 4 NGK ones.

I find not alot of difference between 91 & 96 oct , i use 91 around town & when i do large rides ( 300km+ i tend to run 96 , dont ask )

Haha really? Im only learner atm so haven't been outside the big smoke yet. But the summer is too tempting. Must get Restricted soon!

MikeD400
12th October 2011, 21:53
Haha really? Im only learner atm so haven't been outside the big smoke yet. But the summer is too tempting. Must get Restricted soon!

You can do 100kph on your learners as of the 1st of this month (new law), dont wait for your restricted to got country with that hornet! They love it out there!

shanks
13th October 2011, 23:10
That is an awesome news!!! Thanks heaps! I just checked nzta! Woohoo!

nzmikey
14th October 2011, 07:07
That is an awesome news!!! Thanks heaps! I just checked nzta! Woohoo!

Let me know if you ever want to go for a blast ,I am on the shore so drop me a message any time :Punk:

shanks
14th October 2011, 21:03
Let me know if you ever want to go for a blast ,I am on the shore so drop me a message any time :Punk:

Thanks for the offer! Id love to! Think i ll definitely be learning a few skills of you. Also if you're keen for a ride, let me know. Cheers