PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki/VW relationship turns sour

Bob
23rd September 2011, 00:13
The alliance between Suzuki and Volkswagen is ending in acrimony, with the Japanese company demanding VW sell their just shy of 20% stake, which was purchased as part of a strategic deal two years ago.

Osuamu Suzuki, Suzuki’s 81 year old chairman, has been reported as saying “We asked for a divorce, there is no longer any purpose (to the shareholding).” This followed accusations by VW that Suzuki had violated the agreement by signing a diesel engine supply deal with Fiat.

VW has stated it does not want to sell the Suzuki shares and that there is “no way” Suzuki can force them to do so. German newspaper Der Speigel has put in print that a ‘senior VW executive’ did not rule out the possibility of a full takeover of Suzuki. While the partnership is still in effect, this is not possible. But if Suzuki does force the end of the relationship, this would open the doors for VW to effect a takeover move. But it is felt Japanese companies would rally to Suzuki’s cause to fight off what would be considered a hostile foreign bid.

tigertim20
23rd September 2011, 01:16
Hmmm. wonder what a VW motorcycle would look like?

Bob
23rd September 2011, 03:57

Like a Suzuki, oddly enough!

VW's takeovers of other car companies don't seem to have been a bad thing (Skoda great case in point). They have no experience in the motorcycle arena, so I'd like to think they'd let Suzuki get on with it (maybe moving into the big sports-tourer arena a bit more), but apply their levels of quality control etc.

Voltaire
23rd September 2011, 06:58
They used to make Amazonias in Brazil years and years ago..... sorry....long time air cooled VW nut.....:innocent:

http://cmgonline.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Amazonas-motorcycle.jpg

Bob
23rd September 2011, 08:16
I rather like that! Looks like it'd be a good touring bike; comfortable for mile after mile.

Edbear
23rd September 2011, 11:34
They used to make Amazonias in Brazil years and years ago..... sorry....long time air cooled VW nut.....:innocent:

Hey, I'd forgotten about those! Damn, age is showing! :bye:

Having recently bought a new Kizashi, Suzuki have proved they know a thing or two about making a great car! The chassis is a class at least above anything similar in the market and you'd have to spend at least twice maybe three times as much to equal or better the ride, handling and brakes!

Son-in-law has a Passat V6 4Motion and it's ride is brilliant, but still gives way to the Kizashi in handling. I shopped around for 6wks before getting the Suzuki and included such as the Passat, Hyundai i45, Honda Accord Euro, Ford Mondeo diesel, Toyota Camry etc. in my comparisons.

tigertim20
23rd September 2011, 11:59

I like it.
dunno why
but i do!

nudemetalz
23rd September 2011, 12:43
Reminds me of a Z-1300, with slightly less hp... :facepalm:

jellywrestler
23rd September 2011, 12:51
Think Goldwing

nudemetalz
23rd September 2011, 13:14
News Flash !!
The 2013 Model GSX-R is going to be overbored to 1600cc...and then the cylinders rearranged to a lower centre of gravity flat four for better torque. The troublesome injection replaced by good reliable twin carbs,...and who needs a chain to operate the valves, when lighter more effective pushrods allow a desmodromic reliability...

Okay, I'll stop now...:shutup:

Indiana_Jones
23rd September 2011, 13:20
I don't get it. How can someone say "I'm forcing to take over your company"?....:blink:

Surely they'd need approval from 50.00001% of the current shareholders?

All Greek to me, I'm just a simple country boy.

-Indy

yachtie10
23rd September 2011, 13:36
I don't get it. How can someone say "I'm forcing to take over your company"?....:blink:

Surely they'd need approval from 50.00001% of the current shareholders?

All Greek to me, I'm just a simple country boy.

-Indy

They buy 50.1 percent of the shares

Gremlin
23rd September 2011, 14:21
Shares are naturally available for sale. Usually bought and sold in small blocks, but VW simply goes and buys a whole lot more.

As yachtie says, they then own the majority, and that's why it's a hostile takeover, as they can force the company to do anything it likes.

Voltaire
23rd September 2011, 14:26
Reminds me of a Z-1300, with slightly less hp... :facepalm:

oh I dunno....new alumnium case, 82 mm stroker crank, 90mm cylinders, set of 40 mm dells, lightened flywheel, fancy cam..... 2.1 litres... revs...well over 100 HP....well thats what I'd like in my Kombi ( apart from fancy cam and flywheel):innocent:

Bald Eagle
23rd September 2011, 14:27
This is the 2001 model

nudemetalz
23rd September 2011, 16:00
This is the 2001 model

It's got that Boss Hoss look about it.