PDA

View Full Version : Leaking coolant? Overheating issues? Grr

rapid van cleef
11th October 2011, 10:21
Arrived at hampton downs ride day on sunday and waiting to go on track and I noticed coolant leakng from me bike(04 zx10)

I took it to the mecahnic(Brad i think his name was, and he was very very helpful)
He took off the side faring and said it looked like a cracked/ leaking radiator. there was green residue donw the left side of the radiator) so there is my track day buggered before I started!

So I took a annoyed 300 km ride home., watching the temp gauge very closely, parked it up when i got home and left it for a day

OK, so I took a day away from my bike so i was not going at it with frustration.

So this morning I'vetook off the side fairings to see whats going on. the coolant, or mostly water as it is now, is at the same level as it was when I filled it up at the track before I was told it had a cracked radiator and was not safe to go on track.

300 km ride home and fluid level is the same, which is half way between the 2 markers on the side of the coolant bottle.

I ran the bike to see what temp it got to stationary and see when the fan kicked in.

Things I noticed were,

After 10 mins, the temp gauge was 109 deg C

There was a thin grey smoke getting thicker with time eminating from what looks like the underside if the air box / top of the radiator which started around 90 deg C

The fan did not kick in at all

I could not feel water going through the coolant pipes

The water level did not change or show any signs of movement in the bottle( I marked it with a pencil)

There is a plastic conector, which i pressume is a temp sensor on the R/H side of the front of the engine block between the engine and the radiator. It was staring to melt!

There was a light green(same colour as coolant) residue on the central area of the inside of the radiator facing the engine and consequent reside over the cylinder head and engine.

Could this be a water pump / fan / fuse issue? or somthing more serious?

I dont understand why there was coolant on the floor from my bike and now its not leaking at all!

Any help appreciated please

When i was riding it, it was sitting at 66 deg unless I stoppped, in which case the temp started to rise quite quickly.

thanks guys