PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Technical problem, RGV250

slothracer
22nd October 2011, 11:19
hi im having problems with my rgv, Ive just done a top end rebuild and got it back together on Thursday
Ive done 200ish kms on it now and just starting to open it up, but its having a type of surging problem.
1st. snapping open the throttle from idle it is very unresponsive and sometimes burps,farts and back fires.
2nd from 6000rpm to 8000rpm (mostly in any gear above 2nd) it will surge underload but once is in powerband / over 8000rpm its fine , its been apart for 6 months honed the cylinders and cleaned the powervalves and set the slack on the powervalve pulleys and made sure there in the right place.when it was apart there were rags in the carbs so nothing could get inside it.
so i have no idea what could be, all the vacuum hoses are on. no clue what to do:facepalm:

Drew
22nd October 2011, 11:31
Did you clean the carbs before you put them back in?

The fuel that sits in there dries out and leaves horrible shit in the bowls. That blocks jets up once you put fuel back through them.

Also I suggest you make sure that the clamps holding the carbs in are done up properly and the carbs are all the way in the rubbers.

Common as on RGV's, wont be hard to fix.

SS90
22nd October 2011, 11:32
I would suspect that your power valves are not working correctly.

On RGV's, the little L shaped activator is connected to the servo pully via a hairpin spring, this spring essntially has to be turned "inside out" on order to function correctly (it works as something akin to a
"clutch" (if this makes any sense), where by, if the power valves jam, the hairpin spring flexes to allow the servo pulley to continue to activate, rather than burn out the servo motor.

I have seen a few cases where this spring has not been assembled correctly (simply put in place, rather than pre tensioned, simply by twisting it as it goes on to the activator.

This would be the first thing I would check, as power valves jammed in the full open position would have symptoms not unlike those you have mentioned.

Drew
22nd October 2011, 11:32
Oh yeah. Failing all that, check that the power valve servo is doing it's thing properly. If you have the cables too tight, they don't work very quickly.

slothracer
22nd October 2011, 11:36
I would suspect that your power valves are not working correctly.

On RGV's, the little L shaped activator is connected to the servo pully via a hairpin spring, this spring essntially has to be turned "inside out" on order to function correctly (it works as something akin to a
"clutch" (if this makes any sense), where by, if the power valves jam, the hairpin spring flexes to allow the servo pulley to continue to activate, rather than burn out the servo motor.

I have seen a few cases where this spring has not been assembled correctly (simply put in place, rather than pre tensioned, simply by twisting it as it goes on to the activator.

This would be the first thing I would check, as power valves jammed in the full open position would have symptoms not unlike those you have mentioned.

no iv assembled them correctly they are moving freey and are not jamming. cheers

Drew
22nd October 2011, 11:38
no iv assembled them correctly they are moving freey and are not jamming. cheers

Out with the carbs it is then.

slothracer
22nd October 2011, 11:44
Did you clean the carbs before you put them back in?

The fuel that sits in there dries out and leaves horrible shit in the bowls. That blocks jets up once you put fuel back through them.

Also I suggest you make sure that the clamps holding the carbs in are done up properly and the carbs are all the way in the rubbers.

Common as on RGV's, wont be hard to fix.

yeah it maybe just crap in the bowls, i doubt its a powervalve problem, the clamps are done up semi tight i had to put the rubbers on the best i could quite hard on these rgvs

slothracer
22nd October 2011, 11:52
Out with the carbs it is then.
yeah cant be assed.
general mechanic rules, rather pay some one to fix it rather than my self. work 8hours a 6day on cars then come home and working on the bike is starting to get to me. off to the shop you go rgv

Drew
22nd October 2011, 12:30
yeah it maybe just crap in the bowls, i doubt its a powervalve problem, the clamps are done up semi tight i had to put the rubbers on the best i could quite hard on these rgvsThere's a knack to it, but it's simple once the tank and air box is off to get the carbs in properly. Use a bit of silicon spray on the rubbers. To get the air box on properly, take the top off it and the filter out, then you can stick a hand inside it and make sure the rubber is going onto the carb right.

yeah cant be assed.
general mechanic rules, rather pay some one to fix it rather than my self. work 8hours a 6day on cars then come home and working on the bike is starting to get to me. off to the shop you go rgvFair enough.

slothracer
22nd October 2011, 13:10
ive got it all apart now (tank out air box out) i got a mate to come round and have a look, he works at a bike shop, and we are going to give it a tickle up and see if it gets rid of the unresponsiveness and the flat spot adjusting the idle mixture etc. then i will lube up the rubbers when i put it back to together

Drew
22nd October 2011, 14:46
ive got it all apart now (tank out air box out) i got a mate to come round and have a look, he works at a bike shop, and we are going to give it a tickle up and see if it gets rid of the unresponsiveness and the flat spot adjusting the idle mixture etc. then i will lube up the rubbers when i put it back to together

If it went fine before, nothing needs adjusted.

The problem is either in the assembly, or just crap in the carbs. Get him to bring a can of carb cleaner, fire up a compressor, and be totally festidious about the cleaning.

slothracer
22nd October 2011, 14:48
If it went fine before, nothing needs adjusted.

The problem is either in the assembly, or just crap in the carbs. Get him to bring a can of carb cleaner, fire up a compressor, and be totally festidious about the cleaning.

thats what i thought too