View Full Version : Harley Davidson announces massive recall

Bounce001
25th October 2011, 13:51
Info in the article below

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10761571

I thought the brakes didn't work anyway! :innocent:

F5 Dave
25th October 2011, 14:15
yeah & careful to never ever touch the front one. [from the typical big brother teaching you to ride series]

BIG DOUG
25th October 2011, 18:32
you haven't ridden a late model hd have you,with abs the brakes work just fine they stopped me going up the arse of a ute on an 11 steetglide last year

rastuscat
25th October 2011, 20:00
If the brakes failed they would essentially be the same as new anyway..............

rastuscat
25th October 2011, 20:01
you haven't ridden a late model hd have you,with abs the brakes work just fine they stopped me going up the arse of a ute on an 11 steetglide last year

Brembos? Can't possibly be 'merican.............

Pseudonym
25th October 2011, 22:13
Harley brake upgrade kit…

\m/
25th October 2011, 22:41
I thought the harley was the anchor...

Bob
26th October 2011, 00:10
Harley-Davidson is recalling about 308,000 motorcycles worldwide to fix a switch problem that can cause failure of the brake lights and possibly the rear brakes.

The problem – affecting CVO Touring and Trikes from 2009 to 2012 model years – is that brake light switches can be exposed to too much heat from the exhaust system. The heat can cause the switches to fail and can cause fluid leaks leading to the loss of the rear brake.

Harley will notify users of the recall and dealers will install a rear brake light switch kit free of charge.

caspernz
26th October 2011, 13:52
Wow 308,000 bikes recalled by Harley! Have they made that many already?

Griffin
26th October 2011, 13:53
Excuse my stupidness... CVO ???

caspernz
26th October 2011, 13:59
Excuse my stupidness... CVO ???

CVO as in Custom Vehicle Operations. They're the HDs that are supplied without the tow hitch for the agricultural implements.

Griffin
26th October 2011, 14:09
CVO as in Custom Vehicle Operations. They're the HDs that are supplied without the tow hitch for the agricultural implements.

Oh right... whew, mine has one of those (they even threw in a free plough to attatch it to)

I must be all good then.

caspernz
26th October 2011, 14:12
Haha, at least you've got a sense of humour. Scary stuff though when there's a recall involving possible brake failure...

flyingcrocodile46
26th October 2011, 17:11

Lol. I understand how you might have come to that conclusion but thought to check to see if you had simply dropped the rider and W by accident :innocent:

Gremlin
26th October 2011, 18:51
Well jeez, that explains a lot. Why don't you try stopping an anchor... them's big things man!

awa355
27th October 2011, 12:37
If I won Lotto this weekend, I'd still probably buy a Harley, ( and a F250 and bike trailer).

Anyway, brakes only slow you down. As one old timer used to say, " what do I need brakes for? That's what the wall at the end of the garage is for. "

edwin
29th October 2011, 00:54
Harley is only for Rich man :(

ajturbo
29th October 2011, 07:44
they have brakes?????

the street bob i took for a ride last year didn't

scumdog
29th October 2011, 10:01
they have brakes?????

the street bob i took for a ride last year didn't

Yeah the 300kg of metal probably overwhelms them, horses for courses and all that.

Having said that, my Superglide T-Sport brakes are good enough that they can lock up the front tyre at 100kph - well I did it once and learned not to do it again.

ajturbo
30th October 2011, 07:11
Yeah the 300kg of metal probably overwhelms them, horses for courses and all that.

Having said that, my Superglide T-Sport brakes are good enough that they can lock up the front tyre at 100kph - well I did it once and learned not to do it again.

yeah.. it is amazing what you can learn at our age.. lol..

i think the main reason was..
that it was not set up right,
it was brand new (less than 1k old) and
i sucked at riding it...

a bit like the time i took a 675 for a ride.... that main problem then was me... 160 in first... luckily i has noticed before the cop did... :facepalm:

Ribit
10th July 2014, 11:56
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=11291104

More harley recalls. This time for anti-antilock brakes. An braking system that causes the front brake to lock up. Neat!

"Harley-Davidson is recalling 66,421 Touring and CVO Touring motorcycles from the 2014 model year because their front wheels can lock up without warning.

Motorcycles with anti-lock brakes built between July 1, 2013, and May 7, 2014, are included in the recall."

This reinforces my belief that the only good thing about harleys is the marketing division...

Akzle
10th July 2014, 12:23
lies!

harleys dont go fast enough to need brakes.

GrayWolf
11th July 2014, 12:14
Harley Davidson have sent out another worldwide urgent recall

They are highly concerned about the fact that owners are Modifying the bikes, to actually produce some Horsepower as WELL as noise.... :cry:

James Deuce
11th July 2014, 14:40
This reinforces my belief that the only good thing about harleys is the marketing division...

False logic. A recall indicates that they give a damn about their customer base, unlike General Motors and Toyota who wait for people to die before doing anything about a known issue. Or Ferrari who after a spate of fires soon after the 458 was launched refused to make a comment. Unlike Porsche who have recalled their new supercar after one of them melted in an unexplained conflagration.

I'd rather be told about a product recall than not.

bogan
11th July 2014, 15:00
False logic. A recall indicates that they give a damn about their customer base, unlike General Motors and Toyota who wait for people to die before doing anything about a known issue. Or Ferrari who after a spate of fires soon after the 458 was launched refused to make a comment. Unlike Porsche who have recalled their new supercar after one of them melted in an unexplained conflagration.

Double false logic, a recal could also indicate they don't want to lose bajillions of dollars in lawsuits cos of brake failure causing death; the care could equally be about the bottom line as it is about customers.

James Deuce
11th July 2014, 16:07
Double false logic, a recal could also indicate they don't want to lose bajillions of dollars in lawsuits cos of brake failure causing death; the care could equally be about the bottom line as it is about customers.

Which is, again, fine by me. Especially when the recall is launced before someone runs into this issue. Literally. I'm picking one of HD's very thorough quality testing programmes has picked up a fault that develops after millions of uses. Just because the product seems archaic doesn't mean it isn't subject to qualitatively demanding engineering standards.

pzkpfw
11th July 2014, 16:57
Which is, again, fine by me. Especially when the recall is launced before someone runs into this issue. Literally. I'm picking one of HD's very thorough quality testing programmes has picked up a fault that develops after millions of uses. Just because the product seems archaic doesn't mean it isn't subject to qualitatively demanding engineering standards.

According to the article on Stuff, the fault has resulted in actual crashes of actual people (at least as much as H.D. riders are actual people).

It wasn't just something picked up in Q.A.

(Something to do with a break * line pinched between frame and tank. Somehow becoming an ABS fault?)

((* that's just to make you twitch.))

awayatc
11th July 2014, 17:11
ABS is for softcocks,

as is lycra

who needs brakes on a harley ?

just downshift every now and again....

Or if its smaller then just ride through it

Or over it,

or whatever..

Harleys are meant to be basic and primative,

sorts out the men from the boys.........

oh sorry....

and the girls...

Ribit
11th July 2014, 18:37

What i'm actually saying is that i have no idea why people like harleys. The market division of harley managed to cast some sort of spell over people and now they pay megabucks for these machines...

scumdog
11th July 2014, 19:48
What i'm actually saying is that i have no idea why people like harleys. The market division of harley managed to cast some sort of spell over people and now they pay megabucks for these machines...

And the problem is???

(Are you a marketing man for some other brand??)

skippa1
11th July 2014, 19:56
What the fucks wrong with you? Do you want everyone to be exactly the same? People make choices because they like different things........

James Deuce
11th July 2014, 20:07

I think that's probably your issue and that vastly more motorcyclists disagree with you than agree. Don't use the example of the small circle of riding buddies who all "hate" Harleys to cry "foul" either. Any sample you use to confirm your position will be so completely insignificant as to never impinge on the consciousness of Harley Davidson's marketing department.

I've been very lucky over the years and have ridden many, many different brands and models of motorcycle. If it wasn't for Harley Davidson's beneficent insurance arm I wouldn't have been paid out for my last accident (It was a Buell). It's not just the bike you buy when you buy a Harley. There is a huge range of intangibles, from very reasonably priced parts and accessories, to cheap insurance, to a public persona that means people leave a little bit more room on the road for than, say, a Honda. Anyone who thinks that Harley's engineering is any less sophisticated than Suzuki's is a little bit mental. The amount of research that goes into getting the sound that comes out a stock exhaust right is unbelievable. The anachoic chamber they do that in is both huge and "infinitely" configurable so they can tune it for a number of ride past opportunities and different surrounding building configurations. The same care goes into making sure that the Screaming Eagle parts make the same noise, only louder, while releasing a lot more ponies.

BTW, It's "Harley Davidson", being a proper noun and all.

I have a mate at work who has a Kawasaki Versys for commuting and a Night Train for the weekend. He loves both of them. Surely that's all that matters? Your opinion is rooted in misconception and rumour. Riding a Big Block is not about chassis dynamics and outright speed but it somehow tweaks the exact same pleasure response when riding any other bike from any other manufacturer. So much effort goes into deriding a motorcycle brand of which every model is capable of traversing the length of NZ at the same speed as a BMW S1000RR legally. It's a waste of time arguing otherwise and being rude about other people's choices in life because you don't understand and approve of them is what has fueled every genocide in history.

awayatc
11th July 2014, 20:15
People have dogs that suit them....they even often look a bit alike..

Bikes are a bit like that to,..we all ride something that we like and suits us

My Harley suits and fits me.....like a glove.

Thats all that should matter......