PDA

View Full Version : Hornet 250: Engine heating up?

shanks
25th October 2011, 22:11
In the last few rides to uni, ive noticed that the indicator for "heat-o-meter" has been going past the halfway mark to 65%. Its about a 12km ride to uni. However on the way back home at nights, the indicator stays around 25%. I wonder if this is an early sign to something about to go wrong? For the other Hornet users, is this usual? How hot does your bike get during normal rides?

It could be low on coolant or it could be radiator? The question is how do I go about starting the process of elimination? Its a bit embarrasing but I don't even know where the coolant is?:facepalm:

Also, what pressure do you keep in your tyres? Ive been filling 32psi front and 34 psi rear.
However this website says http://hondahornet.co.uk/quickref 36 and 42 respectively.

Any help is much appreciated! :)

Macontour
21st January 2012, 09:48
All the Hornet 250 owners on here and no-one bothers to reply!! Sad.:no:

Tigadee
22nd January 2012, 00:44
I wonder if this is an early sign to something about to go wrong? For the other Hornet users, is this usual? How hot does your bike get during normal rides?

65% doesn't sound too bad, especially if it was during warm weather... I'm no expert though. :confused:

It could be low on coolant or it could be radiator? The question is how do I go about starting the process of elimination? Its a bit embarrasing but I don't even know where the coolant is?:facepalm:

I had an overheating problem just recently too. First thing to check is coolant. Most likely it's low and with the warmer days and if you're in stop-go or slow traffic, there's a good chance the bike will run hot.

Where is it? Good question... I found out on my bike, I had to take the seat off and found the cap to the coolant tank, but mine's a Yamaha, and I have no idea about Hornets, sorry. Make sure to use distilled aka soft water, not ordinary tap water. I think filtered water will do too...

Next is to check and notice if the cooling fan on your radiator comes on when the temperature runs above 50%. I'm not too familiar with this but I'm guessing it will come on when the weather's hot and you're in slow traffic, once the temp starts creeping up...

Also, what pressure do you keep in your tyres? Ive been filling 32psi front and 34 psi rear.

That's slightly low, but not badly so...

However this website says http://hondahornet.co.uk/quickref 36 and 42 respectively.

I'm a heavy fella so I have to have slightly higher than normal pressure, but even that seems a bit high. I have mine 34 front and 38 back tyre.

quickbuck
22nd January 2012, 00:44
All the Hornet 250 owners on here and no-one bothers to reply!! Sad.:no:

And a very old post.... Wonder if the Hornet is still going?
It would be a coolant issue. As OP doesn't know where it is, i would say it has run a little low.... although 65% isn't too bad in the heat of the day of October.

Tyre pressurers, 30/36 would be a better starting point, and 42 would be max in my opinion.... Would have to experiment with that before I recommend it though.