PDA

View Full Version : Slipping into neutral from 6th gear?

magicmonkey
6th November 2011, 14:08
So, I was bimbling along minding my own today and during the course of a 200k ish ride the bike jumped out of gear twice, well, one 3 times in quick succession and the other time just the once. I was in a high gear under constant load (revs around the middle of the range) and it just started reving with no power going to the wheel and then the gear caught a second or so later and it went back to normal. when it happened my hand was nowhere near the clutch so it definitely wasn't something I'd done, any idea what it could be? It's a new bike with only 1500k on the clock so I'm not sure if this is just something that's part of the gearbox bedding in or if I should be a bit worried about it ...

Subike
6th November 2011, 14:10
what sort of bike is this?

magicmonkey
6th November 2011, 14:11
Megelli 250R, single cylinder liquid cooled 4 stroke

blackdog
6th November 2011, 14:21
Back to the dealer ASAP. Continue to return it every time it happens until they sort it. You may have to be persistant but it definitely shouldn't be jumping out of gear.

magicmonkey
6th November 2011, 14:23
Back to the dealer ASAP. Continue to return it every time it happens until they sort it. You may have to be persistant but it definitely shouldn't be jumping out of gear.

yeah, that's pretty much what I though people would say, doh!! Thanks for that, looks like I'll be heading back down there then :)

White trash
6th November 2011, 17:31
When did you buy it?

Bad Biker
6th November 2011, 18:04
So, I was bimbling along minding my own today and during the course of a 200k ish ride the bike jumped out of gear twice, well, one 3 times in quick succession and the other time just the once. I was in a high gear under constant load (revs around the middle of the range) and it just started reving with no power going to the wheel and then the gear caught a second or so later and it went back to normal. when it happened my hand was nowhere near the clutch so it definitely wasn't something I'd done, any idea what it could be? It's a new bike with only 1500k on the clock so I'm not sure if this is just something that's part of the gearbox bedding in or if I should be a bit worried about it ...

If you find out what the problem is let me know as I am having similar problems with my GN250

magicmonkey
7th November 2011, 14:30
When did you buy it?

5-6 weeks ago ...

blackdog
7th November 2011, 14:36
5-6 weeks ago ...

I hope you have already booked it in. In warranty situations like this, procrastination is the enemy. You want it on the record immediately as I suspect it will be a bit of back and forth to get the issue remedied to your satisfaction.

magicmonkey
7th November 2011, 14:40
I hope you have already booked it in. In warranty situations like this, procrastination is the enemy. You want it on the record immediately as I suspect it will be a bit of back and forth to get the issue remedied to your satisfaction.

yeah, just booked it in now, dreading being without a bike for ages again though!

Ragingrob
7th November 2011, 14:47
yeah, just booked it in now, dreading being without a bike for ages again though!

Tell them to sort you a loaner for their fuckup :eek:

nzspokes
7th November 2011, 14:50
If its that young and the gearbox is stuffed get them to fit a new motor and box.

blackdog
7th November 2011, 14:53
If its that young and the gearbox is stuffed get them to fit a new motor and box.

I imagine it will come to that in the long run. Being a Megelli, that would probably be a cheaper option than having to split it anyway.

magicmonkey
7th November 2011, 15:08
I imagine it will come to that in the long run. Being a Megelli, that would probably be a cheaper option than having to split it anyway.

well, so far on this one I've had a leaking fuel cap causing damage to the tank which is currently being sorted and now the gears are giving me jip, I'm beginning to wonder if I've got a bit of a dud!

blackdog
7th November 2011, 15:15
well, so far on this one I've had a leaking fuel cap causing damage to the tank which is currently being sorted and now the gears are giving me jip, I'm beginning to wonder if I've got a bit of a dud!

Don't let it get to you mate, just remember it's only 'til you get your full. You have to keep plugging away to get the teething problems sorted, don't back down. Be stern about getting it dealt with but don't get shitty and piss the dealer off, you need to keep them onside and (having bought bikes there myself) they should be fully reasonable if you are.

Keep us up to date.

magicmonkey
7th November 2011, 17:01
Don't let it get to you mate, just remember it's only 'til you get your full. You have to keep plugging away to get the teething problems sorted, don't back down. Be stern about getting it dealt with but don't get shitty and piss the dealer off, you need to keep them onside and (having bought bikes there myself) they should be fully reasonable if you are.

Keep us up to date.

yeah, it's no their fault by any means, just one of those annoying situations. Still, I'll be damned glad what it's over!!