PDA

View Full Version : Zero Motorcycles introduces models with 100 mile ‘tank’ range

Bob
23rd November 2011, 01:26
Zero motorcycles has unveiled a new range of motorcycles that will run for ‘more than 100 miles (160km) of range’ on a single charge. New battery technology has allowed for the increased "tank" range – comparable with a number of existing petrol machines – that will also allow for up to 3,000 complete charge cycles before degradation (estimated at 80% capacity).

The range includes the Zero S - a streetfighter-styled bike capable of an 88mph top speed, the Zero DS – a “dual sport” bike that can achive 80mph and the Zero XU – a bike for inner-city riding that also includes regenerative braking technology.

Katman
23rd November 2011, 07:23
How long does it take to fill the 'tank' again though?

Katman
23rd November 2011, 07:27
And I'll go out on a the dummy limb here........

If a petrol engine can generate a current to recharge a battery why can't an electric engine do the same thing?

avgas
23rd November 2011, 08:20
And I'll go out on a the dummy limb here........

If a petrol engine can generate a current to recharge a battery why can't an electric engine do the same thing?

How much power does your starter motor generate while it turns the alternator? :weird: :laugh: You will probably find its less than a 1/10 of the energy you put into the starter to begin with.

Most energy is transfered into heat and sound through the mechanical system.

Regenerative braking reclaims energy from the mechanical system. But only works when the bike is first moving.

Katman
23rd November 2011, 08:42
But once the electric motor is running why couldn't a separate rotor and stator recharge the battery in the same way as on a petrol engine?

What if it charged a second battery that took over the powering of the motor once the other battery became too discharged - and that battery then became the one being recharged?

(Or am I just showing my total lack of understanding of electric motors?)

Latte
23rd November 2011, 08:49
But once the electric motor is running why couldn't a separate rotor and stator recharge the battery in the same way as on a petrol engine?

What if it charged a second battery that took over the powering of the motor once the other battery became too discharged - and that battery then became the one being recharged?

(Or am I just showing my total lack of understanding of electric motors?)

Using electrical energy to power a device to store electrical energy, would result in a net loss of energy to friction (heat/noise) etc.

imdying
23rd November 2011, 09:15

(Or am I just showing my total lack of understanding of electric motors?)Worse, a total lack of understanding of basic physics. Your idea would work great if the entire world was down hill :laugh:

oneofsix
23rd November 2011, 09:28
how long does it take to recharge the batteries?

Katman
23rd November 2011, 10:11
Now I realise there's more chance of me winning a Nobel Prize for Diplomacy than one for my contributions to Electrical Sciences but........

If a battery spins an electric motor and on the end of the motor's shaft is a conventional rotor/stator charging arrangement, would it not produce current?

Is it perhaps that the current required to turn the motor far exceeds the output capability of the charging system?

bogan
23rd November 2011, 10:18
Is it perhaps that the current required to turn the motor far exceeds the output capability of the charging system?

Yes. Free energy is a motherfucker to find.

how long does it take to recharge the batteries?

Zero S is 2 and a half hours. Good commuter option if you live within 100km of work.

Katman
23rd November 2011, 10:22
Yes. Free energy is a motherfucker to find.

Ah, starting to see the light.

So the voltage produced by the motor would need to be equal to the voltage required to spin the motor - equaling nothing left to move the vehicle along?

Fuck that - give me the smell of petrol any day.:wacko:

avgas
23rd November 2011, 11:03
Ah, starting to see the light.

So the voltage produced by the motor would need to be equal to the voltage required to spin the motor - equally nothing left to move the vehicle along?

Fuck that - give me the smell of petrol any day.:wacko:

Actually your getting warmer.
Its power = power. Ironically petrol runs on the same principle. If we "topped up our batteries" rather than simply recharge them electrical vehicles would be very similar to petrol ones.

Think of it like remote control cars, some you need to put petrol in, some you need to put batteries in..
Petrol = power. Batteries = power. But its very hard to transfer electrical power into petrol power.

Jantar
23rd November 2011, 15:13
Both the Zero and Brammo models are getting improved performance and longer running per charge. Also prices are dropping when compared to performance. At the current (no pun intended) rate of improvement I'll be looking at an electric commuter in about 18 months. Probably winter 2013. I need something that can at least keep up with traffic, so 100 kmh+, and at least 42 km per charge at sustained highway speeds.

LankyBastard
23rd November 2011, 15:27
Newtonian physics fail.

Katman
23rd November 2011, 17:21
Every day's a school day.

dilligaf_nz
25th November 2011, 18:58
So what on road costs (rego) would one of these cost a year?

Subike
25th November 2011, 19:05
So what on road costs (rego) would one of these cost a year?

a very good point
how would they rate the ACC content on an electric bike, by hp?
That could open a very bit can of worms,
are they the same as a 250?, a 400?o or a 601cc+.....what??

Bob
26th November 2011, 05:02
Over here in the UK, as far as I know purely electric vehicles (cars and bikes) are exempt from Vehicle Excise Duty (think of it as road tax).

I know someone with a hybrid car and that is also exempt, because it falls below X% of CO2 emissions.

Of course, we don't have any form of government-organised insurance over here (we have to pay for our own, even if it is Third-Party_Only), so that does lead to your needing some way of rating the vehicle. Can't be done on top speed, so wonder if there is a comparison ratio, based on energy generated or something?

Woodman
26th November 2011, 08:38
You cannot make energy, you can only convert it to another form at a loss is how I understand it.

How will he gummint collect road tax when vehicles become electric? Will road tax be relevant?

Kickaha
26th November 2011, 09:00
How will he gummint collect road tax when vehicles become electric? Will road tax be relevant?

Roaduser charges, same as a diesel

baffa
3rd December 2011, 11:54
Kudos to Katman for being brave enough to ask the dumb questions <_<

I saw one of these or something similiar outside cycletreads.

Looks alright, no gears or clutch, and about the same size as a 150cc.

You'd just have to be aware you make almost no noise, so cars will try that little bit harder to kill you.

ajturbo
4th December 2011, 08:54
when i was in the states a couple of months ago, a little bike shop was sell electric bikes for around 7kUS.. they looked like they would be great for around town...
oh and heated gloves.. they were selling heated gloves:clap:

redhat
8th December 2011, 21:29
It'll be interesting to see where electric powered bikes and cars go within the next 20 or more years.

Since it's all electric, wouldn't a soundboard be an option when the bike is running and play different sounds through speakers for different actions?
-- i.e. wide open throttle could be the rumble of a wide open Duc, as well as a loud guitar solo and some yelling of profanity... I only hope cagers would notice us at this stage.

davereid
1st January 2012, 09:29
Electric vehicles have been feasible for years.

The issue has never been the wonderful power of the electric engine.

The problem is (1) how we store the energy, and (2) Where do we get it from in the first place.

The Chevy Volt has a battery energy capacity of 50MJ, and it weighs about 175 kg, and you have to find more than 50MJ of energy to charge it up before you can use it.

A litre of petrol has about 46MJ of energy, it weighs less than 1 kg, and its a primary energy source.

TrentNz
3rd January 2012, 13:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnpVOmIF8Vk

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wROOYesap4A&feature=channel_video_title

smmudd83_1999
6th July 2015, 11:05
Both the Zero and Brammo models are getting improved performance and longer running per charge. Also prices are dropping when compared to performance. At the current (no pun intended) rate of improvement I'll be looking at an electric commuter in about 18 months. Probably winter 2013. I need something that can at least keep up with traffic, so 100 kmh+, and at least 42 km per charge at sustained highway speeds.

Did you go ahead with this?
Update : The current Zero S is good for about 102mph (about 160kph) and a CLAIMED range of about 180 miles (about 280 kms) for gentle city/town commuting. Not bad even if it is optimistic!
To get this sort of range you have to go for the extended battery pack (14kWh? is that right?). Which is +another couple of grand. I was also looking at the mobile power pack option - gives you a 90% recharge in like 20 minutes or something.
But I'm looking at the flagship model here, and then when you add the above accessories it's like 21k USD...and then you have to ship it here. And pay tax/customs duties and licence it... Not much change from $35k NZD probably!

We really need an official importer of these machines to bring shipping, tax, licencing, ORC down. I'm sure that in the three main centres (Chch, Welly / Hutt Valley / Kapiti Coast, Jafa Land & North Shore) there is a market for these machines as workday city commuters.