PDA

View Full Version : 07 Z750 clutch problem. Oil?

howzer
29th November 2011, 21:19
Hey guys,

After my bike had its 6000k service I noticed that it if the bike is cold and I go to take off the clutch makes a bit of a grinding sound. It soon disappears once bike warms up. I've been reading up and sounds like others out there have experienced this problem too. I usually give plenty of time for bike to warm up and take off slowly. Its too late now to take it back to the garage and hit them up about it.

It was working great with the original oil (dont know what type) but with new oil MOTUL 5100 (from invoice) it began making this noise.

I want to get some new oil and change it and see if it makes any improvements. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a specific oil that may help?

F5 Dave
12th December 2011, 16:07
Look we can't say if there is a mechanical issue from the description, but at 6000 it is unlikely, however just saying that changing the oil may be coincidental. Or it could be that the original oil had more friction modifiers in it that made it smoother when cold & with the plates a bit worn off the surface & more metallic particles exposed it tends to be noisy. 5100 is a fine oil, so don't think it is doing any harm at all from the oils point of view.

Old Yams tended to squeal a bit under harsh launches & that could be helped by drilling some more holes in strategic places in the basket. Could be a similar deal. But if it is only when cold & not when hot I'd not be losing any sleep over it.

What does grinding noise mean one wonders?