PDA

View Full Version : So, what do you do when the parts run out?

Canis G.
13th December 2011, 21:22
So I have a project building up this heap of 1987 Honda GB400TT in to a cafe racer (I know, some people just LOVE punishment). It had a major noise in the top end so I pulled it apart and one of the cam lobes has been really badly rebuilt and refaced - it has significantly less lift than it should and the profile looks different from the matching good cam lobe. Down to the local Honda dealer to get a price on a new cam , guy checks it out on Blue Wing Honda - "NO LONGER AVAILABLE". Hmmm shit thinks me. Check out a few wreckers - no cams, not even any engines!

So forum members, where the hell do I start looking? Are there some alternatives in New Zealand or should I be looking overseas?
Alternatively who's a good rebuilder of bike cams in Christchurch?

Thanks in advance.

Madness
13th December 2011, 21:25
Econohonda? (http://www.econohonda.co.nz/) <-- Clicky Clicky

nzspokes
13th December 2011, 21:27
Econhonda, Action wreckers our David Sliver in the UK(he has a lot of this gear)

dogsnbikes
13th December 2011, 21:51
So I have a project building up this heap of 1987 Honda GB400TT in to a cafe racer (I know, some people just LOVE punishment). It had a major noise in the top end so I pulled it apart and one of the cam lobes has been really badly rebuilt and refaced - it has significantly less lift than it should and the profile looks different from the matching good cam lobe. Down to the local Honda dealer to get a price on a new cam , guy checks it out on Blue Wing Honda - "NO LONGER AVAILABLE". Hmmm shit thinks me. Check out a few wreckers - no cams, not even any engines!

So forum members, where the hell do I start looking? Are there some alternatives in New Zealand or should I be looking overseas?

Thanks in advance.

Couple of options

#1 send bonez a message he may or may not have something

#2 There is a guy in the Manawatu that does make cams,but you will have to wait proberly until after xmas when I get home and find his card...

Also compare your cam to other honda models as its likely the same as some XR/XL or others

Oh and this guy he knows alot and you just never know what he has

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=3002951

ducatilover
13th December 2011, 23:18
XR600 motor.
Use the old cam to provoke the missus in to cooking more.

There are many people who can make cams in NZ or resurface (if it's salvageable)

This might help http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/4661-GB400-tt-info

Kickaha
14th December 2011, 05:42

Kelford cams, they did one for me some time ago and have done stuff for a quite a few other guys
http://www.kelford.co.nz/

Bender
14th December 2011, 06:51
Econohonda generally have second hand parts that are in-spec and are about half the price of the new ones. Good dudes to deal with.

Canis G.
14th December 2011, 15:34
Thanks team lots of good suggestions there. Econohonda came back with "nil stock currently" which I am presuming translates to - you are in the poo son.

I am following up on the re-building option at the moment but would love to know if one from another model will fit. I mean the basic castings/layout/configuration for the motor is just SO common to other Honda singles.

But cheers everyone appreciate your replies.

cs363
14th December 2011, 15:49
Thanks team lots of good suggestions there. Econohonda came back with "nil stock currently" which I am presuming translates to - you are in the poo son.

I am following up on the re-building option at the moment but would love to know if one from another model will fit. I mean the basic castings/layout/configuration for the motor is just SO common to other Honda singles.

But cheers everyone appreciate your replies.

New NZ$145 delivered to your door: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CAMSHAFT-HONDA-XR600-XR600R-XR-NX-GB-NX650-GB500-14100-MN9-020-/110793656169?hash=item19cbd10769&item=110793656169&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

The Pastor
14th December 2011, 17:12
try david silver spares, UK website, good good prices

nzspokes
14th December 2011, 17:25
try david silver spares, UK website, good good prices

Yup as I said before. Flick them an e-mail. They got back to me quickly and knows a stack about these old Hondas.

tigertim20
14th December 2011, 18:29

Thanks in advance.
I was going to suggest jelford cams, but it has been mentioned already.
in answer to the question of what to do when parts run out? - the answer is simple. GO CUSTOM!! be silly, make something stupid for the hell of it!

Canis G.
14th December 2011, 19:58
I was going to suggest jelford cams, but it has been mentioned already.
in answer to the question of what to do when parts run out? - the answer is simple. GO CUSTOM!! be silly, make something stupid for the hell of it!

Quite agree, the end product will only resemble a 400TT - but the whole thing is a lounge ornament without the cam LOL

FJRider
14th December 2011, 20:05
Either look at similar sized (Honda ... XR/XL ??? ) engines ... or get one ground from scratch. The spec's should be available ...

Canis G.
14th December 2011, 20:36
Either look at similar sized (Honda ... XR/XL ??? ) engines ... or get one ground from scratch. The spec's should be available ...

Sorry to be a pain - where would I start to look for spec's? (and don't say in an optomertrists OK!)

FJRider
14th December 2011, 20:46
Sorry to be a pain - where would I start to look for spec's? (and don't say in an optomertrists OK!)

Those in the business of grinding cam's ... will KNOW where to look. And an "upgrade" on the original profiles might be worth a think ...

tigertim20
14th December 2011, 20:52

for similar engines, sign up on model specific forums, there will be heaps of cunts that have modded and can help you out.
I had a feeling that Kelford cams could just order in blanks, then make them to whatever spec you wanted, I bet theyd be able to find the required specs too.

cs363
15th December 2011, 06:54

Why go through all that when you can buy one for under $150 delivered? :weird:
(Unless you want other than standard, but that's not what your OP implies)

Canis G.
15th December 2011, 09:32
Why go through all that when you can buy one for under $150 delivered? :weird:
(Unless you want other than standard, but that's not what your OP implies)

Mate if it was the same cam as the GB 500 it would be a no brainer - sadly they are not, they have some not so subtle differences. Appreciate you posting the link though.

cs363
15th December 2011, 09:39
Mate if it was the same cam as the GB 500 it would be a no brainer - sadly they are not, they have some not so subtle differences. Appreciate you posting the link though.

Ah, OK my bad - I'd assumed they were given some of the other replies. Continuing on with the assumptions (always dangerous) are they the same as XR400/TR400? If they are try one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=xr400+camshaft&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Canis G.
15th December 2011, 09:41
for similar engines, sign up on model specific forums, there will be heaps of cunts that have modded and can help you out.
I had a feeling that Kelford cams could just order in blanks, then make them to whatever spec you wanted, I bet theyd be able to find the required specs too.

Cheers for that. The GB500 forum is quite, um, limited (tossers), they seem to be more interested in getting the period correct seat tail rather than the more meaty stuff like cam profiles - but I should give them a try instead of being so judgmental.

Talked to the guy (Chris) at Kelfords about building new cams and he said they would just figure out a profile from scratch if they built me a new one (gotta love techy guys - puts a man at peace). Essentially though, he was saying that as long as you have an old cam to work on they can keep on re-building them untill the cows come home. Shit, works for me LOL.

Canis G.
15th December 2011, 20:57
Ah, OK my bad - I'd assumed they were given some of the other replies. Continuing on with the assumptions (always dangerous) are they the same as XR400/TR400? If they are try one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=xr400+camshaft&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Mine is away being ground at the moment so its hard to compare (my memory is ... mmm can't remember) but the XR one looks quite similar - I reckon a bit of machining of the sprocket mount and it might be the ticket. Just need someone with an old one I can borrow or get some one to measure one up. Cheers CS my man.

Flip
15th December 2011, 21:56
I have had a few GB400 cams reground in the past, we had a few of them as courier bikes in the 90s. The repairs were a perminant fix, the hard facing on the cam follower fails first and takes out the cam, can be put on harder and thicker than the originals. I don't remember the profile I used to get done, I believe it was one for a trail bike but after the cam was in the GB used to run much better. I never had a reground one fail after it was fixed.

koba
15th December 2011, 22:44
It seems the big H had a bit of trouble with cams around that era.

Perhaps they should have ditched them altogether.

Canis G.
16th December 2011, 06:37
I have had a few GB400 cams reground in the past, we had a few of them as courier bikes in the 90s. The repairs were a perminant fix, the hard facing on the cam follower fails first and takes out the cam, can be put on harder and thicker than the originals. I don't remember the profile I used to get done, I believe it was one for a trail bike but after the cam was in the GB used to run much better. I never had a reground one fail after it was fixed.

Cheers for that Flip, sounds encouraging. I guess all bikes have at least one weak point and if you can engineer your way past it you get a relatively trouble free run. Also encouraging in that a trail bike cam might be an answer to all the 400TT owners out there LOL.

Canis G.
16th December 2011, 06:37
It seems the big H had a bit of trouble with cams around that era.

Perhaps they should have ditched them altogether.

What? Like just build 2 strokes LOL.

Murray
16th December 2011, 11:05

But this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/classic-vintage/auction-430031214.htm