PDA

View Full Version : Can having the wrong clutch lever cause the clutch line to snap?

WillskE
17th December 2011, 22:26
so i got a 2007 hyosung gt250r, just changed the clutch and brake levers as the stock one on clutch side snapped on a fall,
i brought these cheap aftermarket ones http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/clutch-gearboxes/auction-431647347.htm
and its been a month with it i had no problems installing them even tho i think these are for the naked gt250 just that they dont fit right into slot
just yesterday my line randomly broke and had to replace it today, the thing is that the old line was 1/2 the thickness of the new one what i want to know is could the lever be the cause of the breakage or the lines just old and thin.

98tls
17th December 2011, 23:24
so i got a 2007 hyosung gt250r, just changed the clutch and brake levers as the stock one on clutch side snapped on a fall,
i brought these cheap aftermarket ones http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/parts-for-sale/clutch-gearboxes/auction-431647347.htm
and its been a month with it i had no problems installing them even tho i think these are for the naked gt250 just that they dont fit right into slot
just yesterday my line randomly broke and had to replace it today, the thing is that the old line was 1/2 the thickness of the new one what i want to know is could the lever be the cause of the breakage or the lines just old and thin.

Step away from the motorcycle with your hands on the top of your head.:niceone:

TOTO
17th December 2011, 23:37
The more likely scenario is that your cable has been worn out due to lack of lubrication, and when you have put the new lever in you did not leave any free play in it which in turn MAY have cause it to snap.

What I suggest:
1. Get shown by a motorcycle mechanic how to fit levers
2. Learn what the recommended free play is
3. learn how to make an adjustment
4. learn how to check and lubricate a cable
5. Make sure you actually lubricate the cable as knowing and doing are two different things.

Just as a comparison, one of my bikes is on 132 000km and still with the original clutch cable as has been properly maintained.

You are welcome.

Gremlin
18th December 2011, 00:55
Yes, in short, it's possible for the wrong lever to accelerate wear on the clutch cable, as the cable does not follow the designed smooth path for it. Toto's suggestion is also possible.

Just as a comparison, one of my bikes is on 132 000km and still with the original clutch cable as has been properly maintained.
And for extra comparison, the same model bike as yours had one replaced at 60,000km. Apparently one of the shortest lives they've seen for the clutch cable (and was properly maintained). However, mine gets a beating (along with the gear box) around town the whole time.

unstuck
18th December 2011, 05:43
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TFMVlQRrBDE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> This guy,s a dick,but you get the general idea.:Punk:

TOTO
18th December 2011, 06:39
And for extra comparison, the same model bike as yours had one replaced at 60,000km. Apparently one of the shortest lives they've seen for the clutch cable (and was properly maintained). However, mine gets a beating (along with the gear box) around town the whole time.

Well it is YOU riding it.

Taz
18th December 2011, 13:57
I can't seem to figure out how to lube the cable on my KTM's hydraulic clutch. Is the cable threaded thru the the centre of the hose or sumfink? It says on the cover to use mineral oil also?

unstuck
18th December 2011, 15:11
I can't seem to figure out how to lube the cable on my KTM's hydraulic clutch. Is the cable threaded the the centre of the hose or sumfink? It says on the cover to use mineral oil also?

Self lubing.:innocent:

WillskE
18th December 2011, 20:35
thanks for the replies i think i got this figured out now..