PDA

View Full Version : Clutch not disengaging when cold?

Oakie
5th January 2012, 21:37
So two things happened. First, 23 December earthquake saw my bike having a wee rest against a tree that broke it's fall as planned. (Yeah, you live in Christchurch you park your bike with such things in mind). Second, 4 days later, without having ridden the bike since the 23rd, I changed the oil.

I've noticed since then that the bike is really hard to move in gear with clutch in before the bike has been started and that if I do start the bike in gear with clutch lever pulled, the bike will move forward a little. The oil was a little overfilled but not much (250ml?)

I didn't notice this stiffness before 23 Dec so am assuming:
A) it was there and I didn't notice it
B) the wee knock the bike took when resting it's right side against the tree (ripped seat ... bugger!) jarred something clutchwise
C) the slight overfill caused something.
D) it's just a product of having brand new oil in (exactly the same oil as that that came out)

Does this sound like a problem or is it nothing to worry about? Everything is fine in the clutch department as soon as the bike is warmed up. Can be pushed forward in gear with the clutch in, no trouble

Crasherfromwayback
5th January 2012, 21:41
Just sounds like the clutch cable could do with a lil bit of adjustment mate.

riffer
5th January 2012, 21:55
On the Bandit 600, there is a screw adjuster down on the engine case. If you have never adjusted this, this might be the problem.

This adjustment is part of the maintenance schedule.

You can see it on this image (http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/HANDLE_LEVER/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/39/Year/1998/ModelID/6510/Model/GSF600S_BANDIT/GroupID/272861/Group/CLUTCH):

19 is the adjustment screw and 20 is the lock nut.

Oakie
6th January 2012, 10:59
Thanks gentlemen. Looks like I shall be consulting my manual tonight then.

That microfiche series is a useful resource riffer. My bike is a 2001 which was a bit of a facelift model from the series up to 1999 but I guess most of it is still valid. Cheers

caspernz
24th January 2012, 20:12
Clutch not disengaging when it's not running is quite normal, quite apart from adjustment issues mentioned. Try flicking bike into neutral before starting up, or moving bike around. Most bikes I've owned need a solid shove with clutch pulled in to get clutch to let go, so I find it's easier to move back or forth slightly to select neutral.