PDA

View Full Version : I needs a clutch cable

Scuba_Steve
18th January 2012, 08:36
Snapped the clutch cable in my fxr last night, I needs a new one but I don't really like the idea of paying 90$ for a complete unit from Suzuki when it's only the inner cable that's the problem, Something that in my opinion should be a 15-20$ fix?
So wondering if anyone knows when I can get one of these inner cables or a place that can fix her up good for me???

Cheers

F5 Dave
18th January 2012, 13:58
That would be Melbar cables in Wingate, which isn't far. Won't be super cheap though.

Some mechanics would fix it for you, but your opinion of the value of their time would insult them. I often do my own for throttle, but is a pain having to stock the right parts. Clutch cables have quite some pressure against them.

Scuba_Steve
19th January 2012, 10:39
how "tailored" are bike clutch cables??? i.e. would 1 from another model fit??? would I have to watch out for length??? or are they so individual I'd have a shit show in hell of finding one that'd fit if it weren't made for the fxr???

F5 Dave
19th January 2012, 13:06
Fittings will vary from bike to bike as will length. Of the 4000 different bikes using cable clutches lets say 300 would likely fit in some form or fashion. Actually being a small bike maybe only 200. Good luck with that line of enquiry.

actungbaby
20th January 2012, 21:45
Snapped the clutch cable in my fxr last night, I needs a new one but I don't really like the idea of paying 90$ for a complete unit from Suzuki when it's only the inner cable that's the problem, Something that in my opinion should be a 15-20$ fix?
So wondering if anyone knows when I can get one of these inner cables or a place that can fix her up good for me???

Cheers

I always thought be matter if you chould solder new end on your be sweet well think thats what they do right !
if you chould get that done your be fine once they fray you had it i tryed cuting loose wires on xr 200 only made it worse it
Broke all thoghter so might be better of getting replacment suzuki one good news last for donkeys years if you keep bit sewing machine oil in there few times a year so it draging

F5 Dave
24th January 2012, 09:00
Fuck I can't even read that! What language is it?