PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother is watching you! Speed recorders

Blackflagged
30th April 2012, 09:37
Interesting article here - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10802260

Something to keep in mind. Some bikes already have speed recording i believe.

GrayWolf
30th April 2012, 16:49
Interesting article here - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10802260

I mentioned Mercedes experimenting with jst this system a couple of months ago.. and a truck driver informed it already exists in trucks... We all KNOW it would have to happen in the end.. next will be self piloting cars!!

Damantis
30th April 2012, 17:52

Best keep a hammer in your bikes tool kit. May come in handy if you are conscious enough after an off to crawl up to the wreck and give that pesky speed recorder a little reset action before it becomes the property of the insurer.

Zamiam
30th April 2012, 20:25
Unfortunately I think it's only a matter of time before we have boxes with gps links in/on our vehicles that will make it impossible to exceed the speed limit without us receiving a ticket in the mail. Not all technology is used solely for our benefit. Governments everywhere are overspending and want "legitimate" revenue where ever possible

GingerMidget
30th April 2012, 20:27
Well I'm safe then.

AllanB
30th April 2012, 20:35
Slowly technology is sucking the fun out of life.

scumdog
30th April 2012, 20:53

Hmmm....are you my grand-dad, he said that in 1938...

Madness
30th April 2012, 21:03
Any idea which bikes might have this?

'97 onwards Honda Fireblades.

Zamiam
30th April 2012, 22:22

Ain't that the truth

pete376403
30th April 2012, 22:50
All the more reason to keep my KLR and GS1100. About the only electronics on both are the ignition and voltage regulator.

Still thats not to say that future legislation won't require some sort of retro-fit flight recorder.

Damantis
1st May 2012, 08:25
'97 onwards Honda Fireblades.

I'm off to find a hammer. :blink:

tigertim20
1st May 2012, 10:49
Unfortunately I think it's only a matter of time before we have boxes with gps links in/on our vehicles that will make it impossible to exceed the speed limit without us receiving a ticket in the mail. Not all technology is used solely for our benefit. Governments everywhere are overspending and want "legitimate" revenue where ever possible

someone will find a fix for it, a simple plug in that wipes data everytime the engine stops would be perfectly sufficient, and probably not all that difficult to manufacture/implement.

Waxxa
1st May 2012, 15:45

...and the insurance companies. Perhaps even ACC pay-outs/costs...

miSTa
1st May 2012, 20:53
Hmmm....are you my grand-dad, he said that in 1938...
:shit: Are you that old to remember what he said to you? You look younger.

scumdog
1st May 2012, 21:30
:shit: Are you that old to remember what he said to you? You look younger.

Hmmmm...on second thoughts it might have been YOU that said it...

In 1938

Scuba_Steve
1st May 2012, 21:32

it's not the technology, it's the dictators we allow ourselves to live under

SMOKEU
23rd May 2012, 22:50
Programmers have been able to make custom performance chips for EFI vehicles for several years so I don't see why there wouldn't be a "fix" for this type of "problem".

Boob Johnson
27th May 2012, 15:50
Well I'm safe then.
If you are caught speeding on your EN you should receive a prize!