PDA

View Full Version : Apartment block for bikers

Bob
20th June 2012, 23:53
An apartment block in Suginami, Tokyo, has been designed with the specific needs of motorcyclists in mind. The C-shaped block surrounds a central courtyard to provide a turning circle, leading to a series of small garages at ground level (one per apartment) which provide space to lock up a motorcycle. The garages also serve as the entrance to each apartment, with stairs up to the living quarters above.

Each apartment features what appears to be a unique design, to maximise use of space. In some cases the garages double up as bathrooms!

The apartment block, called NE Apartments, is the result of collaboration between Japanese architects Yuji Nakae, Hirofumi Ohno and Akiyoshi Takagi.

MIXONE
21st June 2012, 07:25
Always thinking them Japanese eh.

Maha
21st June 2012, 07:33
...but is there a place specifically for your helmet to sit?...bet they didn't think of that.

Haggis2
21st June 2012, 08:09
...but is there a place specifically for your helmet to sit?...bet they didn't think of that.

Gotta leave the lid down on the dunny....

SMOKEU
21st June 2012, 12:24
Needs a good workshop space too.

Fast Eddie
23rd June 2012, 09:23

knowing the japs I bet there is!

have you seen those crazy folding apartments? where they have heaps of internal walls that move around, so you have one main room/floor space.. you move some walls around and u have your bedroom, done with that, move some walls around and u have a kitchen now.. done with that, move some walls around now you have a lounge.

good use of space eh

Maha
23rd June 2012, 10:18
knowing the japs I bet there is!

have you seen those crazy folding apartments? where they have heaps of internal walls that move around, so you have one main room/floor space.. you move some walls around and u have your bedroom, done with that, move some walls around and u have a kitchen now.. done with that, move some walls around now you have a lounge.

good use of space eh

No, haven't seen them but remember seeing those 'one size fits all sleeeping only cube stacks'...no space for a bike though.

MyGSXF
24th June 2012, 11:11
Here's the link to the pics :niceone:

http://www.gizmag.com/motorcycle-apartments-tokyo/23008/pictures#1

Scuba_Steve
24th June 2012, 11:21
So bikers not only take up much less room on the road, we can take up much less room in intercity apartments too... Motorbikes, they are the solution! :niceone:

scracha
24th June 2012, 18:41
In some cases the garages double up as bathrooms!

So I can watch my sweet ride whilst showering. Where's my flight bag?

G4L4XY
6th July 2012, 14:08
Here's the link to the pics :niceone:

http://www.gizmag.com/motorcycle-apartments-tokyo/23008/pictures#1

Genius!!..sometimes a pic says it all

CookMySock
7th July 2012, 10:05
...but is there a place specifically for your helmet to sit?...bet they didn't think of that.On top of the microwave oven, which is on top of the washing machine, which is on top of the fridge. :wait:

It's a small fridge OK!!! :lol:

Subike
7th July 2012, 10:15
I could well imagine sets of apartments like this being set up at university's.
Would be a good money earner for a property owner with a vision.