PDA

View Full Version : Man trapped in desert converted "CV into motorbike!

Bob
6th July 2012, 00:08
When a French electrician became stranded in the Moroccan desert, he saved his life by converting his Citroen 2CV into a motorcycle!

Emile Leray, 43, was driving across the desert when he was stopped at a military outpost and told he was not allowed further as it was a restricted area. Leray ignored the officials and continued into the desert where he struck a rock. The car was rendered unable to drive. 20 miles away from the nearest village, Leray, armed with a hacksaw and ‘several days of water’ did not want to risk making the trek on foot.

As Leray said "I put myself in what one calls survival mode. I ate less; I monitored my supplies of water and food to make them last as long as possible," He set about shortening the chassis and reattached two of the wheels, installing the engine and gearbox in the middle. Leray used the rest of the car as shelter from the desert storms.

Leray peformed the feat in 1993 but it was not publicised. The story was exposed on social news site ‘Reddit’, so Leroy has been opening up about his experience.

CookMySock
6th July 2012, 09:45
LOL I call bullshit

Buyasta
6th July 2012, 14:08
LOL I call bullshit

Not exactly news - in addition to happening back in 93, it became a story at least 3 years back, but here (http://jalopnik.com/5343163/stuck-in-desert-crazy-frenchman-builds-motorcycle-out-of-busted-citroen-2cv) are pictures if you'd like some proof.

G4L4XY
6th July 2012, 14:11
Pics or it didn't happen!

rickstv
6th July 2012, 14:16
I'm with DB, I smell a rat. He just happened to have all the tools handy, year right.

with all the energy he put into that thing, he could have walked the 20 miles during the night to safety.

Rick.

Laava
6th July 2012, 17:33
Hub centre steering! Cool!
The seat looks like a kitchen glove filed with expanding foam,...............wait that gives me an idea for improving the pillion seat on the Buell!

Katman
6th July 2012, 18:33
I'm not going to say I agree with DB (I wouldn't want to end up as one of his signature quotes).......

.....but I call bullshit too.

ducatilover
7th July 2012, 00:42
You all missed the obvious easier way out and far more reasonable story.
The 2CV has a shit load of canvas and pathetic panel steel, he could've made a sun shield for himself and a sled for his water supply and strolled that 20 miles easily. :niceone:

Maha
7th July 2012, 06:29
They want us to believe he just 'happened' to have sone blue tack and duct tape on his person?

Laava
7th July 2012, 09:02
Sure looks like it would handle good in the sand!

CookMySock
7th July 2012, 09:18
Its a cool idea though, and a daily-rider made from a 2CV would gain much respect.. If you can find a 2CV for under 20k..

Madness
7th July 2012, 09:25
He did all that with just a hacksaw? Smells a bit fishy, dunnit?

ducatilover
7th July 2012, 11:27
Its a cool idea though, and a daily-rider made from a 2CV would gain much respect.. If you can find a 2CV for under 20k..
But it'd still be 9hp... might as well buy a nice reliable CT110

Laava
7th July 2012, 11:54
But it'd still be 9hp... might as well buy a nice reliable CT110

So it's just about more power is it? You'll kill yourselves, that's what you'll do!

ducatilover
7th July 2012, 11:59
So it's just about more power is it? You'll kill yourselves, that's what you'll do!
I know all about big power, I'm making a GN300.