PDA

View Full Version : US researchers create ‘smart’ headlights that shine “around” rain

Bob
10th July 2012, 00:08
Scientists at Carnegie Mellon University in the US have developed a ‘smart’ headlight that shines “around” rain to reduce glare.

The headlight consists of a projector, camera and beam-splitter. It takes images of the raindrops which are then run through a processor that predicts where the rain will fall using a complex algorithm. It will then switch off rays of light that would normally hit the raindrops.

The process takes some 13 milliseconds to run. The scientists admit there is a “Long way to go” before the system could be used in real vehicles.

Fast Eddie
10th July 2012, 17:17
well there's an answer to a question no one was asking..

Coldrider
10th July 2012, 22:55
well there's an answer to a question no one was asking..at least they haven't solved a problem that doesn't exist.

Gremlin
10th July 2012, 23:18
It might be old hat... didn't someone mention that they are testing lasers as headlights?

Why go around the rain when you can go right through? :cool:

Bob
10th July 2012, 23:57
I'd be very happy to see this technology refined and added to all vehicles. Have you never been blinded by the glare from an oncoming vehicle in the rain? This tech would stop that happening as the beam would remain 'clean'.

(Next trick would be "Effective motorcycle headlight, fitted as standard"!)

Gremlin
11th July 2012, 00:02
I'd be very happy to see this technology refined and added to all vehicles. Have you never been blinded by the glare from an oncoming vehicle in the rain? This tech would stop that happening as the beam would remain 'clean'.

(Next trick would be "Effective motorcycle headlight, fitted as standard"!)
Not quite. Glare is at your end (ignoring badly adjusted headlights), when you receive the light it's distorted by the surface in front of you (visor or window) which in turn is affected by the presence of water... Potentially, the tech would assist with bounceback glare, where the light comes back at you, after reflecting off the water.

Apparently the K1600 has quite an effective headlight... if only it was fitted to a GSA...

CookMySock
11th July 2012, 08:57
didn't someone mention that they are testing lasers as headlights?It would be interesting to see the modulation artifacts on nearby rotating machinery - cue wheels on other cars rotating backwards, and a grinder in your hands appearing to stop. I think there would be a few iterations of firmware to remove problems that fit into the "who the fuck would have predicted that?" category, and even after that there will some really strong feelings about it. Then cue the hacked firmware to paint smiley faces on mountains etc. I doubt that it would last.

Have you never been blinded by the glare from an oncoming vehicle in the rain? This tech would stop that happening as the beam would remain 'clean'.If the beam can dodge a raindrop, then it can almost certainly dodge an oncoming car completely. Again, I think this would polarise motorists heavily - almost everyone would want to comment or complain about what the firmware should do or not to.

This is a reminder that making changes so we feel better doesn't always work, even if the idea per se works. In the end we are addicted to a new enabling technology, but the confrontation is - we don't feel better at all.

bogan
11th July 2012, 10:07
I would say its a solution to a problem that shouldn't be solved, how many numpties would think, oh I can see well ahead now, so there is no need to slow while in this torrential downpour :facepalm: Stay in mantrol motherfucker!

It might be old hat... didn't someone mention that they are testing lasers as headlights?

Why go around the rain when you can go right through? :cool:

Hmmm, turn it all to steam before it gets down to vehicle level, that could work! Think it was BMW doing the laser headlights, think steam preceding an M5 through a corner, and tyre smoke following it out :drool:

caseye
11th July 2012, 10:40
Interesting mind picture that one bogan.Good light is always at a premium, let em gt on with it for a while, no doubt if it's any good we'll see it out in the market place soon enough.