PDA

View Full Version : Dammit... first speed camera fine...

WildBoarMouse
15th August 2005, 07:38
Okay... so I was in the cage on the way to work, coming up the hill on West Coast road in Glen Eden (just pulled out of a bakery after picking up lunch). Couple of vans doing 35-40(?!) and I thought I'd have enough room to get past in the passing lane... Booted it and once I was past (still in 2nd) chopped in to fourth and let the engine slow me down (FLASH) (cue mental "F#*&") Looked down and up again and thought "F#*&" again... I never actually took a good look at my speed after the flash but I'm 99% sure I wasn't doing 85 or more, and about 80% sure I could have been as low as 70. The only reference I have is the ol' ear-o-meter and the sound of the engine. I can't even remember what kind of time period took place between the changing of gears and the flash.

This was the last place I expected a speed camera van! Okay, admitidly entirely my fault... I shouldn't have been impatient to get past these slow drivers... Feeling really pissed off with myself about now. Just got a small wind-fall from work and now this is no doubt going to eat that all up plus a bit extra. So pissed off!!! argh! :weep: I knew I should have driven the wife's car to work today. I was planning on bringing some stuff home and wanted a back seat for the extra room... figured I'd put it off until tomorrow. :( bad idea

Just a couple of questions now...
Does anyone have any idea what this is likely to set me back by?

I don't think I've ever seen a camera van at 6am in a 50kmh zone (nothing more than 50 for at least 5km in any direction)... is this a new tactic or have I just not been keeping a good enough look-out?

Thanks all...

Flyingpony
15th August 2005, 08:18
Up to 10kph = $30
10 - 15kph = $80
15 - 20kph = $120
20 - 25kph = $170
25 - 30kph = $230
30 - 35kph = $300
35 - 40kph = $400
40 - 45kph = $510
45 - 50kph = $630

Speed camera vans can be anywhere at anytime and they're usually parked where you don't expect them or most likely just where you'd nip over the speed limit.

WildBoarMouse
15th August 2005, 08:25
Thanks for that... Looks like I could be anywhere between $170 and $300 then. Damn I hope it's the low end. :)

What bites is that I sold my radar detector because I found that it encouraged me to speed... And in a 50kmh zone I don't... except for the very rare occasions (such as this)... and of course, in conjunction with the US secret service, the NZ police know exactly when and where those occasions will be and put a speed camera van there to piss you off. :yes:

Oh well... it must have been about my time anyway. Thanks FP. At least I won't be wondering about "how much" for the next six weeks now.

Cheers

Lou Girardin
15th August 2005, 08:54
You SOLD your detector?
And you drive in Auckland? Better get another one quick or it's walkies.

Sniper
15th August 2005, 08:57
At least in CHCH they place camera's on poles

WildBoarMouse
15th August 2005, 09:00
There's a camera on a pole less than 1.5km from where the van was...! :)

I had the radar detector for about six months and during that time I didn't find it any real benefit... certainly not around town anyway. Oh well... You win some you lose some. :)

Flyingpony
15th August 2005, 09:01
Very true!
Some cameras are placed on poles, but not all. Unmarked camera vans are also popular.
Some pole cameras even have red light camera's to keep them company (Art Gallery).

crashe
15th August 2005, 10:40
where was the camera???

Could you have been riding TOWARDS the camera?
If so then you probably won't get a ticket.

Remember we don't have rego plates on the front.

But you will find out in about 7 to 10 days time.

If you do get a ticket , then write back to them asking for a photo.
The photo is FREE, as then you could contest it, as there are other vehicles in the photo.

Good luck...

Yeah I don't recall there ever being a speed camera car ever being positioned there either.

Since Police officer Bruce Mellor left West Auckland (Bruce did west Auckland - sitting all day in his car reading a book or a newspaper). We now have another person trying out new areas to ping people. We all got to know where he was gonna be....lol. He moved down to Huntly I believe and is working there.

WildBoarMouse
15th August 2005, 10:49
I was in the cage this morning... unfortunately it has plates front and back. :)

The van was on WC road, west of the Pleasant Road intersection (down the hill towards the shops) and about 50-100m east of where the road merges in to one lane having been two lanes heading east past the shops. Hope that makes sense :) So yeah, he got a great back-end picture while I was heading into the city. I'm going overseas for three weeks so I'm going to be wondering how badly it's going to hurt most of that time.

pyrocam
15th August 2005, 11:49
These speed camera vans. Ive never heard of them before a month ago or so.
what are they? just a normal stationary white van on the side of the road that will catch you speeding?

I thought auckland only had pole mounted camera

kerryg
15th August 2005, 12:02
what are they? just a normal stationary white van on the side of the road that will catch you speeding?

The vans I've seen are all Mitsubishis, L300 model I think, I've seen white and dark green. I wouldn't be sure that they use only Mitsi's, but they're the ones I've noticed. Would be wary of any plain new clean late model van though

Gixxer 4 ever
15th August 2005, 12:20
What bites is that I sold my radar detector

You what ?? :rofl: ?? Hmmmmm no, can't understand this decision.

Gixxer 4 ever
15th August 2005, 12:26
Those L300 vans are seen very regularly in Hawkes Bay Taupo south to Palmy. How do I know? I see them. Red, blue, white and dark green. They are every where man. :oi-grr:

inlinefour
15th August 2005, 12:27
Sounds like the money gained from the sale of the radar detector will be going on the ticket. Either got another one or a diesel surf like me. Its so slow that I doubt that it would be possible to get a speeding ticket (PT) :hbd:

Bartman10
15th August 2005, 12:31
The vans I've seen are all Mitsubishis, L300 model I think, I've seen white and dark green. I wouldn't be sure that they use only Mitsi's, but they're the ones I've noticed. Would be wary of any plain new clean late model van though

There is a red mitzi L300 speed camera van that often parks on the motorway in Wellington.

There's also a green one about.

Watch out for them, or you'll be taxed off the road in no time.

crashe
15th August 2005, 13:05

Pyrocam - Always be wary of any van parked on the side of the motorway, or even on the side of the road when travelling around the countryside.

Some maybe a genuine breakdown.... but as sure as eggs they are sure to be speed camera vans.

There are a few station wagons set up at speed camera vehicles as well.

madboy
15th August 2005, 13:19
At least IRD are honest about their jobs.

From my experience down here, the vans have taken over from the wagons. With the latest technology they can take pictures through the back windows during daylight (and I presume that means when it's not raining too), and the flash is mounted to the towbar when required. So it's a bit f***ing obvious when the flash is strapped on the back, but in saying that it's not always entirely obvious where the vans are parked! Usually the f***ers have tinted side glass on the rear windows, and something dark (i assume a board) put up behind the camera itself so it appears that the rear window is tinted to. Means the camera looks out a perfectly clear window while you're assuming it's just a tradesman - until you get close enough to smile for the ticket.

And my partner wonders why I don't usually run a front plate on the car? Anything that lessens the odds is on in my books.

PRIMERA-BOI
22nd September 2008, 03:07
just wondering, can you lose your licence from a speed camera?? eg 40-50 km/h over the limit and got snap??? and how much will it be if your 50+ km/h over??
and does it always flash when they take a photo even during the day? or just during the night?

thanks

TimeOut
22nd September 2008, 06:14
You don't get demerits (yet) from cameras don't think you can lose your licence as they can't prove whose driving. They want to change that by making the owner of the vehicle say who was driving:Oi:

vinnieh
22nd September 2008, 08:38
Yeah those vans are EVERYWHERE. In Hamilton there's a red one that often parks on river road or boundary road although there is more than just one. On the auckland motorway they often have the high-tech camera vans which are the ones that don't have an external flash and are always white (older camera vans have a dirty big orange flash unit mounted on their tow bar) When speeding always look 15 seconds ahead haha and keep an eye out for suspect looking vans parked on the side of the road.

One question though, does anyone know if you can be fined for covering your number plate heavily in dust? Would you get a fine or would the cop just make you wipe it off? I have heard of people coating their number plate in vege oil then chucking dust on it. Don't know if it works though

MarkH
22nd September 2008, 09:06
On the auckland motorway they often have the high-tech camera vans which are the ones that don't have an external flash and are always white (older camera vans have a dirty big orange flash unit mounted on their tow bar) When speeding always look 15 seconds ahead haha and keep an eye out for suspect looking vans parked on the side of the road.

I have seen a van on the Southern Motorway parked between some trees - you can't see it until you are right on top of it. Looking 15 seconds ahead wont help you there. But I have only ever seen these vans set-up facing the front on the vehicles - so no worries on a bike.

One question though, does anyone know if you can be fined for covering your number plate heavily in dust? Would you get a fine or would the cop just make you wipe it off? I have heard of people coating their number plate in vege oil then chucking dust on it. Don't know if it works though

I think if it looks blatents (clean bike, dirty plate) then they can in fact ticket you for it, wouldn't happen very often though. If the whole vehicle is dirty then it is not likely that you would get in trouble for it.

Divot
22nd September 2008, 10:17
Since Police officer Bruce Mellor left West Auckland (Bruce did west Auckland - sitting all day in his car reading a book or a newspaper). We now have another person trying out new areas to ping people. We all got to know where he was gonna be....lol. He moved down to Huntly I believe and is working there.

He was a Traffic Officer and he is now in Waiouru

PRIMERA-BOI
22nd September 2008, 13:05
so you can go 200km/h past a speed camera and all you get is a fine for NOW? :rolleyes:
and you can get off the fine if you ask for the photo and there's afew cars in it instead of one right? cause i went past a camera van abit fast in the weekend and there was heaps of cars in the slow lane and i was in the middle lane and there was cars around me.....i was driving a car btw

nodrog
22nd September 2008, 13:08
so you can go 200km/h past a speed camera and all you get is a fine for NOW? :rolleyes:

i know if you go past at 190kph, 2 up, on the back wheel, you go to court and try and prove it wasnt you.

RC1
22nd September 2008, 13:39

they use them for shooting practice out west akld :banana:

imdying
22nd September 2008, 14:11
and you can get off the fine if you ask for the photo and there's afew cars in it instead of one right?No, the camera van knows which lane it took a picture of. You're screwed. Serves you right for driving a cage.

Harvd
22nd September 2008, 19:19
yea my mate got 1 for 55 in a 50 and it was a dark green mitsi van in chch too

Kiwi Graham
22nd September 2008, 20:46

There late model mitsi L300's white or dark green or blue. Windows are blacked/tinted except for a little square in the back window for the camera.
Ive seen them as early as 6:00 in the morning, parked at the side of the road or stuffed on the verge. If you see a van on the side of the road check your speed. I think at the moment its just a fine you get if pinged.

Been caught towing a boat up a hill in the truck at 61kmh ($120) try explaining you need a run up or end up crawling to the top a walking pace holding up the whole of west Alk.........cameras never lie!