PDA

View Full Version : Pit bike tow ball?

speeding_ant
27th July 2014, 20:54
Anyone know of a cheap / effective way to carry a pit bike on a standard car tow ball?

AllanB
27th July 2014, 21:54
Apparently ........... http://www.hitchmate.com.au/

speeding_ant
28th July 2014, 18:26
Hmmm, damn. That'll cost more than the pit bike is worth.

Any other 'no. 8 wire' solutions out there? Without using no. 8 wire.

Drew
28th July 2014, 18:38
Hmmm, damn. That'll cost more than the pit bike is worth.

Any other 'no. 8 wire' solutions out there? Without using no. 8 wire.
Weaver and I could make one. But it won't be free, we have a season of racing starting soon.

AllanB
28th July 2014, 18:56
That one is flash, if you are handy with a welder you could make your own.

Buy a ute :innocent:

speeding_ant
28th July 2014, 19:09

I'd love to learn how to weld, but I fear I'd melt off parts of my body. I work with computers, small hands..

speeding_ant
28th July 2014, 19:10
Weaver and I could make one. But it won't be free, we have a season of racing starting soon.

What do you reckon ballpark cost for something like that?

Drew
28th July 2014, 19:18
What do you reckon ballpark cost for something like that?Just messaged the other half of the build team. Get back to ya soon.

bogan
28th July 2014, 19:21
If it is a single purpose thingo, just bolt it straight to the bottom of the bike frame, save drew throwing some hammers around that way.

I chuckled at the pic of the empty ute showing it off...

Drew
28th July 2014, 19:23
If it is a single purpose thingo, just bolt it straight to the bottom of the bike frame, save drew throwing some hammers around that way.You'd lose a lot of ground clearance on a pit bike, if it had a tow hitch bolted to it.

I'm keen to knock one up, just doing a bit o' maths on what it'll cost us in material.

AllanB
28th July 2014, 19:24
Just messaged the other half of the build team. Get back to ya soon.

Drew - Google image 'dirt bike rack for car' and 'pit bike rack for car' - there are designs ranging from basic to overly complex. Some cool ones that tilt as a rack. The car would need suitable attachment points under it to support beyond the tow ball.

Does this shit need certification in NZ?

speeding_ant
28th July 2014, 19:25
If it is a single purpose thingo, just bolt it straight to the bottom of the bike frame, save drew throwing some hammers around that way.

I chuckled at the pic of the empty ute showing it off...

Yeah, single purpose. It only needs to last as long as the pit bike, which I'm sure won't be long. As long as it doesn't prematurely end its life by dropping it on the motorway :rolleyes:

bogan
28th July 2014, 19:27
You'd lose a lot of ground clearance on a pit bike, if it had a tow hitch bolted to it.

I'm keen to knock one up, just doing a bit o' maths on what it'll cost us in material.

Well you don't need to leave the fucking thing bolted on there drewpy :lol:

Just figured it would be easier to make a wee thingo that bolts under the engine than make a bike ramp and tie-down monstrosity.

speeding_ant
28th July 2014, 19:27
Drew - Google image 'dirt bike rack for car' and 'pit bike rack for car' - there are designs ranging from basic to overly complex. Some cool ones that tilt as a rack. The car would need suitable attachment points under it to support beyond the tow ball.

Does this shit need certification in NZ?

Yeah, Drew, don't worry about it. Found a good solution.

http://motocrosshideout.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Dirt-Bike-On-Car-Falls-Off.jpg

:eek:

Drew
28th July 2014, 19:33
This is pretty much what I pictured. Simple, and not a huge waste of steel.

speeding_ant
28th July 2014, 19:39
This is pretty much what I pictured. Simple, and not a huge waste of steel.

Yeah that looks pretty ideal, I could attach my own ramp of simply lift it on. Reckon something like that would work with a 'normal' rounded towball?

Drew
28th July 2014, 19:46
Yeah that looks pretty ideal, I could attach my own ramp of simply lift it on. Reckon something like that would work with a 'normal' rounded towball?

It would need to be attached to the ball, and the flat plate that the ball is on to give it stability.

speeding_ant
28th July 2014, 19:53
Cool, sounds good.

BEAMER89
28th July 2014, 19:55
The OP will need to have a light board with that setup for a number plate and tail/brake Indicators to keep the red and blues happy :rolleyes:

speeding_ant
28th July 2014, 20:08
The OP will need to have a light board with that setup for a number plate and tail/brake Indicators to keep the red and blues happy :rolleyes:

Yeah good points. Have electrics so shouldn't be too hard.

pete-blen
28th July 2014, 21:14
It would need to be attached to the ball, and the flat plate that the ball is on to give it stability.

My motor bike tow frame attaches in 20/30 secs.... "if I'm not in a hurry"
pretty simple to use a standard trailer coupling on the frame & stop it rotating or
moving up/down on the ball....

Drew
29th July 2014, 04:42
We can bang out the simple version for about $300-400 I reckon.

Sounds like a lot, but there's potentially a full day in building it.

speeding_ant
29th July 2014, 08:52
We can bang out the simple version for about $300-400 I reckon.

Sounds like a lot, but there's potentially a full day in building it.

Cheers for getting back to me with a price! I understand, it sounds pretty labour intensive to make. I'll have to do some saving I think.

BEAMER89
29th July 2014, 18:51
Check out Listing #: 759226494 on tardme, maybe a cheaper option even after shipping :corn:

Spyke
26th August 2014, 07:48
i have one one i bought a little while ago that you can purchase. don't need it anymore, i'll post a picture today

speeding_ant
26th August 2014, 18:36
i have one one i bought a little while ago that you can purchase. don't need it anymore, i'll post a picture today

Yep - hit me with the picture :yes: Had a few unexpected car issues so can't afford the full nelson custom made jobby...

Spyke
27th August 2014, 09:57
Here it is 220 dollars, plus postage