PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on CPU with New Aftermarket Can.

Fart
2nd October 2005, 16:45
I have just ordered a Two Brother Carbon slip on muffler for my CBR600RR. I should get it in a week so. :headbang:

I need advice from a mechanic. Do I need to change my factory computer to a Power Commander? Can I run the Two Bro aftermarket muffler on existing computer? Dont want to fuck up the engine for the sack of a few humdred dollars.

Cheers
:wait:

jimbo600
2nd October 2005, 16:59
I have just ordered a Two Brother Carbon slip on muffler for my CBR600RR. I should get it in a week so. :headbang:

I need advice from a mechanic. Do I need to change my factory computer to a Power Commander? Can I run the Two Bro aftermarket muffler on existing computer? Dont want to fuck up the engine for the sack of a few humdred dollars.

Cheers

Aftermarket cans bolt straight onto fuel injected bikes no worries as the many sensors sort all the fuelling out automatically. However, to get the most out of it a PCIII is the way to go but not necessary. Don't expect too much from a bolt on, mainly better sound and weight saving. Manufacturers are so good at putting together standard cans these days that to get big gains mucho dollars needs to be spent. CBR600RR + Two Bros carbon = nice mate!!

WINJA
2nd October 2005, 17:36
Aftermarket cans bolt straight onto fuel injected bikes no worries as the many sensors sort all the fuelling out automatically. However, to get the most out of it a PCIII is the way to go but not necessary. Don't expect too much from a bolt on, mainly better sound and weight saving. Manufacturers are so good at putting together standard cans these days that to get big gains mucho dollars needs to be spent. CBR600RR + Two Bros carbon = nice mate!!
HOW DO THESE SENSORS SORT THE FUELNG OUT , I KNOW THEY CAN SENSE PREASURE , TEMPS ,RPM AND THROTTLE POSITION , BUT AS FOR FLOW OF AIR????THE BIKE DOESNT KNOW IF IT HAS A STOCK SYSTEM , 4 TO 1 OR LAKE PIPES. WITH A CAN THE FUELING WILL STAY THE SAME WITH THE ABOVE PARAMETERS SO THE BIKE WILL PROLLY RUN RICH DOWN LOW AND LEAN UP TOP BUT THE AMOUNTS ARE NEGLEGIBLE SO MOST END CANS ARE OK ON MOST BIKES

jimbo600
2nd October 2005, 19:10
HOW DO THESE SENSORS SORT THE FUELNG OUT , I KNOW THEY CAN SENSE PREASURE , TEMPS ,RPM AND THROTTLE POSITION , BUT AS FOR FLOW OF AIR????THE BIKE DOESNT KNOW IF IT HAS A STOCK SYSTEM , 4 TO 1 OR LAKE PIPES. WITH A CAN THE FUELING WILL STAY THE SAME WITH THE ABOVE PARAMETERS SO THE BIKE WILL PROLLY RUN RICH DOWN LOW AND LEAN UP TOP BUT THE AMOUNTS ARE NEGLEGIBLE SO MOST END CANS ARE OK ON MOST BIKES

Fuck knows mate I aint no mechanic I'm an artist you know. All I'm sure of is that you don't need to fuck with FI bikes after fitting an aftermarket can. I got a TEKA tune done to the gixxer after a bolt on and made heaps of difference.

WINJA
2nd October 2005, 19:14
Fuck knows mate I aint no mechanic I'm an artist you know. All I'm sure of is that you don't need to fuck with FI bikes after fitting an aftermarket can. I got a TEKA tune done to the gixxer after a bolt on and made heaps of difference.
THE TEKA TUNE MAKES A DIFFERENCE ON A STOCK BIKE .
ID HAVE TO SAY THAT THE ECU DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY COMPENSATE AN EXHAUST CHANGE AS IT CANT MEASURE AIR FLOW LIKE SOME CARS

jimbo600
2nd October 2005, 19:33
THE TEKA TUNE MAKES A DIFFERENCE ON A STOCK BIKE .
ID HAVE TO SAY THAT THE ECU DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY COMPENSATE AN EXHAUST CHANGE AS IT CANT MEASURE AIR FLOW LIKE SOME CARS

Teka made quite a difference after a can too. Put the can on the new 600 and ran it for couple thousand k's then gave it to Hayden for the treatment. Ran better after the Teka tune. PCIII's have a good rep too but I wouldn't bother downloading maps from the net I'd get it set up locally on a dyno.

Fart
3rd October 2005, 06:43
What is a TEKA tune?

So the verdict is that I can leave the existing ECU and dont need to change it? I only want it for the sound and not somuch for the performance. I am not gonna race my bike, only for road use.

avgas
3rd October 2005, 07:12
while u may not need a PCII/III, its not a bad idea to have one.
Either way you need to get the bike dynoed and tuned to setup the exhaust. Otherwise you end up with wot WINJA said. the advantage of the PC2/3 is that all the maps are on the net, so all you do is download the new map to suit the change in bike parts. Exhaust, filters, cams the whole shebang....all at home....all without the dyno.
You can also mess with the maps if your in the know......and get some cool stuff happening :yes:

Mr Skid
3rd October 2005, 07:36
I only want it for the sound and not somuch for the performance.I bet you've got spinners on your car too.

Lou Girardin
3rd October 2005, 07:44

Cheers

Get a baseline run on a dyno (about$80) when you fit the can. Then you'll know if changes are needed to fuelling. Fuel maps off the interweb may not be ideal, because not all engines, fuels etc are identical. We had a Hornet here with a downloaded map in the PC3, it was still significantly lean.
Few bikes have 02 sensors, so they can't compensate for exhaust changes like car ECU's can.

Fart
3rd October 2005, 07:46
I bet you've got spinners on your car too.

Nope, just a couple of large fluffy dice hanging in front. :bash: :kick:

Fart
3rd October 2005, 07:46
Get a baseline run on a dyno (about$80) when you fit the can. Then you'll know if changes are needed to fuelling.

Thanks mate. Where can I get that done?

Ixion
3rd October 2005, 10:31

BMW has an air flow meter. Prolly another BMW wierdness though.

WINJA
3rd October 2005, 11:10
BMW has an air flow meter. Prolly another BMW wierdness though.
SAME WITH THE GPZ1100B , BUT NOT THESE NEW FANDAGLED JAPERS

Fart
4th October 2005, 08:49
Where can I get a TEKA tune done in Auckland and how much does it cost?

WINJA
4th October 2005, 18:12
Where can I get a TEKA tune done in Auckland and how much does it cost?
I DONT THINK YOU CAN GET A TEKA TUNE DONE ON A HONDA , I READ THAT HONDA WOULDNT GIVE UP THE CODE TO ENABLE THE CPU TO ACCEPT A NEW PROGRAM , THATS WHY THE TENKATE STREET SUPER BIKE RAN A POWER COMMANDER.
BTW THIS MIGHT BE SHIT BUT I HEARD SOMEWHERE THAT IT IS WIDELY ACCEPTED IN TOP RACE TEAMS THAT POWER COMMANDERS ARE SHIT ESPECIALLY ON 600S , NOT VERY GOOD ON 750S AND ALMOST WORK OK ON 1000S , WHY? CAUSE THEY SUFFER FROM LAG, THE HIGHER THE BIKE REVS THE MORE THE POWER COMMANDER LAGS BEHIND THE ACTUAL REQUIRED DELIVERY OF FUEL , IT CANT PROCESS THE INFORMATION QUICK ENOUGH ABOVE 10000 RPM OR SO , THEY ARE USED CAUSE THERE IS USUALLY NO OTHER OPTIONS CEPT FOR TEKA WHICH DONT WORK ON HONDA, OR FACTORY RACE CPU .
ASK YOUR LOCAL HONDA DEALER SHIP TO TUNE YOUR CPU WITH THE HONDA TUNER :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :Pokey: PROLLY NOT

Fart
5th October 2005, 06:51
Thanks WINJA.

SO you are saying that Power Commander has a monoply on the after market ECU for bikes? Thats interesting.

Winja, you know much about computer programing?

WINJA
5th October 2005, 21:06
Thanks WINJA.

SO you are saying that Power Commander has a monoply on the after market ECU for bikes? Thats interesting.

Winja, you know much about computer programing?
THE YOSHI ONE IS MADE BY POWER COMMANDER AS WELL , I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT COMPUTER PROGRAMING , WHEN I GOT GIVEN MY FIRST COMPUTER I THOUGHT THE CD ROM WAS A CUP HOLDER.
AS FOR ECU WELL I THINK THATS THE ORIGINAL BOX AND THE AFTER MARKET ADD ON BIT IS THE EMS.
DID YOU KNOW THE FIRST POWER COMMANDER WORKED BY SIMPLY FOOLING THE STANDARD ECU INTO THINKING THE TEMP INPUTS WERE DIFFERENT . FOR INSTANCE TO MAKE THE BIKE RICHER IT WOULD MAKE THE AIR BOX TEMP SENSOR REPORT A LOWER READING SO THAT THE ECU WOULD ADD MORE FUEL TO ACCOMODATE THIS ,PRETTY GHEY WAY TO DO IT