PDA

View Full Version : Schumacher tries a motorbike

Bob
26th October 2005, 00:10
Michael Schumacher swapped four wheels for two at Ferrari’s test facility, riding steering one of Ducati’s MotoGP bikes.

His average lap time - reportedly around 2'15'' - was about 25 seconds slower than that recently recorded by Ducati's MotoGP star Loris Capirossi .

TonyB
26th October 2005, 05:36
25 seconds of the pace probably isn't that bad you know. The guy doesn't even ride. I wonder what most of us could manage?

Bob
26th October 2005, 05:41
25 seconds of the pace probably isn't that bad you know. The guy doesn't even ride. I wonder what most of us could manage?

Actually, he is a very keen biker. But you're right - 25 seconds off the pace is still damned quick.

(I once worked out that the guy that set the lap record at a circuit where I did a track day could have lapped me in less than 3 laps! So I never insult anyone's lap times!)

avgas
26th October 2005, 05:47

With me i think that at first i would be 30 mins slower on my lap, then 2 hours slower on the 2nd lap.....then they would never see the bike again :)

Storm
26th October 2005, 06:13
I like your thinking, I like it a lot

DMNTD
26th October 2005, 06:17
Maybe him and Valentino are gonna swap places year after next?
Geeeez I'd be happy just to get a crack at/on it :headbang:

Lou Girardin
26th October 2005, 07:17
Schuey has a Duc Monster and around 7 VRods.
But it shows the difference in rider/driver input between MotoGP and F1. Rossi was 3secs slower in the F1 car.

bugjuice
26th October 2005, 08:24
yeah, but what was Rossi's lap time in an F1 car when he tried? Wasn't it roughly the same as the 'test' drivers time?

Motu
26th October 2005, 08:29
But Rossi can lose it and spin through the gravel trap,and Ross will just give him a stern look.If Schumacher loses it he might be out of a couple of races next year,the risk is just too great.I don't think I'd be pushing it too hard either.I've seen the photos of him on the bike,he's not hanging off,although you don't know when/where the shots were taken...so 25 secs is pretty damn good for someone not hanging off the bike with his kneee scrapping.Just goes to show the old fart knows how to make good times on a race track....I'm not a Schumacher fan at all,but you can't help but respect his outstanding skills.

el milanes
26th October 2005, 08:31
I've wanted to post it since yesterday!
Here's a couple of photos:
http://www.corriere.it/Primo_Piano/Sport/2005/10_Ottobre/24/schumacher.shtml
(lacking in style a bit, ay?) :argh:

limbimtimwim
26th October 2005, 09:17
Actually, he is a very keen biker. But you're right - 25 seconds off the pace is still damned quick.I remember seeing a Ducati Monster formally owned by him on ebay. For some reason he took a holiday in the US and purchased a monster (Or two) he signed the tank and sold it to a dealer. Who then raked in the $$ when they sold it :-)

bugjuice
26th October 2005, 09:30
I remember seeing a Ducati Monster formally owned by him on ebay. For some reason he took a holiday in the US and purchased a monster (Or two) he signed the tank and sold it to a dealer. Who then raked in the $$ when they sold it :-)
yeah.. you or I try doing that and they'll chase you down the road and make you wash it off..

DemonWolf
26th October 2005, 11:21
bahahaaaa... they wouldn't do that if you purchased it.... though you would lose about $4k off the price!... hahahaaaa

GN1NiteStnd
26th October 2005, 11:44

Well my time would be looking good until i come off,
-probably on the first corner.

dveus
26th October 2005, 11:49
But Rossi can lose it and spin through the gravel trap,and Ross will just give him a stern look.If Schumacher loses it he might be out of a couple of races next year,the risk is just too great.

Exactly. I wonder how he convinced ferrari to let him have a ride at all, some of their contracts are pretty tight as to just how many risks they can take outside of F1.

Jabez
26th October 2005, 12:02
Exactly. I wonder how he convinced ferrari to let him have a ride at all, some of their contracts are pretty tight as to just how many risks they can take outside of F1.
And as we all know bikes are so dangerous......... :wait:

bugjuice
26th October 2005, 12:34
Some bastard has made some custom leathers for him, they are exactly like his race cottons in the F1 car... wonder what they would go for on ebay? on another note.. remember Valentino used to strip all his leathers off and biff it all into the crowd, with helmet etc.... when was the last time anyone saw him do that?
I heard someone got struck with a helmet and knocked them out or something, so they stopped the racers from doing that. Also, if there's any 'cheating' thing in the suits they wear, it'd be lost in the crowd, so they might stop it for that reason. I know when I was around horses, jockeys are banned from going anywhere near people after a race cos they were found to be passing over bits of lead to make them weigh in heavier. Then while they're racing, they 'loose weight' some how, and win.

Far from motorsports I know, but all the same, things have to be controlled to a point. Plus, may be they just got bored or making suits for hi.. :dodge:

Motu
26th October 2005, 14:44
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Under the supervision of Suppo and former rider Randy Mamola, the seven-time champion completed a total of 42 laps with a best of 2:05.98, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.

"He's having plenty of fun and he's going fast too: on the straight he immediately went over 300km/h," Suppo told the Italian newspaper.

"That was very good. Here, with a Ducati 999 road bike, Troy Bayliss did a 2:03. This was the first time for Michael on a GP bike, so you can only applaud him."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not too bad at all I reckon.

cowpoos
26th October 2005, 18:29
25 sec is a fuckin life time....jeeezzz
sounds like he can't ride for shit

gav
26th October 2005, 19:03
So Troy Bayliss on a road 999 was 23 secs off the Loris Capirossi's time? Doesnt sound quite right does it? Surely he'd be closer than that? And Michael was only 2 secs off Bayliss' time? That sounds pretty bloody good, even on a MotoGP bike, I'm sure theyre not that easy to ride?

enigma51
26th October 2005, 19:27

Just remember if he fell off the media will have fun time.

Schumi completely down and out!

I must say it does prove the point that 80% of car racing is the car and 80% of bike racing is the rider I mean look at what happenend when rossi got in the f1 car.

And dont forget rossi drives a car almost everday where schumi rides a bike in the off season. I know you cant compare a road car to a f1 car but still driving comes more natural to most people than say riding a motorcycle

Im fucking jealous that he got a chance to do something all of us would like to do one day. :love:

Two Smoker
26th October 2005, 20:06
Schuey has a Duc Monster and around 7 VRods.
But it shows the difference in rider/driver input between MotoGP and F1. Rossi was 3secs slower in the F1 car.
But that is the difference...

Schuey is good

Rossi is a freak or an alien.... or both???

Motu
26th October 2005, 20:13
But that is the difference...

Schuey is God

Rossi is a freak or an alien.... or both???

If you put it that way,you could be right.

thealmightytaco
26th October 2005, 21:19
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Under the supervision of Suppo and former rider Randy Mamola, the seven-time champion completed a total of 42 laps with a best of 2:05.98.

Here, with a Ducati 999 road bike, Troy Bayliss did a 2:03.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the sounds of this the time difference was more like 2.5 seconds than 25 seconds. In the end it's all about grip and balance and holding it against the friction circle, and neither cars or bikes would be easy to do that on the way these guys do. They're both bloody champions.

Bob
26th October 2005, 23:36
By the sounds of this the time difference was more like 2.5 seconds than 25 seconds. In the end it's all about grip and balance and holding it against the friction circle, and neither cars or bikes would be easy to do that on the way these guys do. They're both bloody champions.

I think a lot of confusion is coming in due to 25/2.5 seconds thing.

25 seconds slower that Capirossi's best time on MotoGP bike.
2.5 seconds slower than Bayliss's time on "out of crate" 999 road bike.

Also bear in mind that Capirossi would have been running on full race spec. I'd bet that Schumaker would have had the wet weather setup (same as any journalists that get to ride them are given) to use. So loads more grip and stability, less flat out speed.

Those factors would make a world of difference.

Lou Girardin
27th October 2005, 07:21

Could you?

Bob
27th October 2005, 07:53
Could you?

(Time to come off my 'neutral journo' fence...)

Well said Lou! It is all well and good slagging the guy off - but I doubt if many of us could get within 25 seconds of Loris Capirossi riding a full works machine on full racing setup.

Not that we'll ever get the chance of course...

el milanes
27th October 2005, 09:19
I just remember that when Rossi started he was falling kind of once a week.
When you're young you can afford to fall when you're looking for the limit, because you're a bit crazy and recover quickly (how many race bikers still have both their little fingers completely functional?? :doctor: ).
But Shumacher broke both his legs once already and even if he was all smiley to show Corinna how good he was... I bet he was bloody hurt. Germans... you know they are quite controlled :calm:
He's at the end of his career, even Rossi I think is at the highest point of his one. If I were Shumacher I'd just retire in my Swiss acienda.
That's good though that they still enjoy trying something new in the racing world. Agostini raced for a few years in a car at the end. That time you could do it, like you could race in different motorbike categories, but still he received no glory out of it. Few sports nowadays allow you to move to another field and still be competitive. I think probably the most common is for bicycles racers to perform races indoor or on mountain bikes.

HenryDorsetCase
27th October 2005, 13:35
John Surtees was the last person to do the double world champ on car and bike wasnt he?

Eddie Lawson, Wayne Gardner and Randy Mamola have all raced cars with varying degrees of success after their racing careers ended. Personally I dont think the drive is there after they have been there done that on a bike.

Kickaha
27th October 2005, 14:23
John Surtees was the last person to do the double world champ on car and bike wasnt he?

The last?

I thought he was the only?

cowpoos
27th October 2005, 18:33
Could you?

yep.....you organise it i'll be there

Rhino
27th October 2005, 19:06
The last?

I thought he was the only?
Absolutely correct. Nobody has managed it before, or since.

Full Monty
27th October 2005, 19:20
Michael Schumacher is a fucking toss pot

Test Pilot
24th November 2005, 11:01
SHIT ID BE HAPPPY IF I COULD DO 25 SECS SLOWER THAN CAPPIROSSI, A YEARS PRACTISE AND IM SURE HE COULD GET IT DOWN ALOT CLOSER, HE OBVIOUSLY JUST HAS A 6TH SENCE WHEN IT COMES TO MOVING QUICKLY