PDA

View Full Version : MCI sets up online lobbying facility against proposed licence laws

Bob
26th October 2005, 00:13
This is really aimed at UK KBers - but if anyone has friends or relatives over in the UK that would be happy to lend their names to what is a really important lobby to stop some damned foolish and restrictive laws being passed, then can you please pass this on:

"The Motor Cycle Industry Association has launched a new online feature to help bikers to protest against the proposed new licence laws that would see:

Minimum age for riding bikes larger than 125cc likely to rise from 17 to 19
Direct Access to larger bikes not allowed until 24 (currently 21)
New categories of motorcycle riding licences creating several two-year 'steps' between bikes of different engine size
Riders required to complete extra riding tests between 'steps'.

An easy to use online campaigns feature allows people to lobby their local MP by completing a brief, simple form and clicking a button to send an email. The industry is also conducting online opinion polls to source data that will build on its own political activity.

To join the campaign go online at http://www.mcia.co.uk/S_Press/Wizard.asp and lobby your MP with a simple click of a button."

Reason for asking you to get someone here to do it is that the form asks for name and address - plus postcode to come up with local politician. So it won't work for someone in NZ entering information.

Thanks all - this is a really important one.

Bob

It's madness...

Just another exhuse for the DVLA to make more money.

If you lose your V5 (car rego document) in the uk they charge you £20 to get it replaced, odds on it'll cost at least £40 for each test you need to take to move up a level.

I took my DAS (direct access) when I was 22 and never thought twice about it.

They have a thing in central London called congestion charging, meaning if you go into a certain area you have to pay a £5 toll for the day... said that motorcycles don't count and so they get in free..

guess what..

number of cars in the city went down... number of bikes went up... number of accidents went down.

Why after this bit of proof of saftey, and the recent petrol price rises are they still putting hurdles in the way of bike riders that are not there for car drivers!!

John
26th October 2005, 00:50
Why after this bit of proof of saftey, and the recent petrol price rises are they still putting hurdles in the way of bike riders that are not there for car drivers!!

Money, yet to hear of a government that isnt motivated by it.

parsley
29th October 2005, 18:41
This is really aimed at UK KBers
Done - and I've had three replies so far! All from MEP's, but every little helps.

Bob
30th October 2005, 02:00
Done - and I've had three replies so far! All from MEP's, but every little helps.

Nice one - well done!

I've not had a reply from any of the MEPs or my MP... so I've just sent it off again! With a bit of luck I'll grind them down...

Cibby
30th October 2005, 02:30
Nice one - well done!

I've not had a reply from any of the MEPs or my MP... so I've just sent it off again! With a bit of luck I'll grind them down...

thats the one mate.. stalk them until the give in.

Works for me usually... :whistle:

parsley
30th October 2005, 02:33

Just send them an email - "If you pass that stupid bike legislation we'll set Cibby on you".

Cibby
30th October 2005, 02:46
Just send them an email - "If you pass that stupid bike legislation we'll set Cibby on you".

Damn Straight.. as as per my posts in Byker Cops thread

I'll set my "Special Cibby Biker Cop Bike Flame Throwing" on them and then i'll blow them up wtih my "Special Cibby Biker Cop Bike Missle Launcher"

and if there are any left i'll get them to make my hot chocolate so i can sleep and the reason they will do this is because of my "Special Cibby Biker Cop Leathers"

oh yeah.. :devil2:

Indiana_Jones
30th October 2005, 12:30
man those laws sound like utter bollocks. :argh:

Die Ken Livingstone.....

-Indy

Bob
30th October 2005, 22:57
man those laws sound like utter bollocks. :argh:

Die Ken Livingstone.....

-Indy

I understand the sentiment, but these laws have nothing to do with Ken Livingstone (in fact, he is the one that recently reiterated that bikes will NOT be subjected to the Congestion Charge - I'm convinced because the cameras can't snap our plates, but we're still exempt).

The source of these idiotic laws is the EU - or European Parliament for those of you that don't know how much of our personal liberty we've handed over to Europe. What they're trying to do is introduce a standard licencing scheme across all the 29 member states of the EU. And of course, have gone right over the top.

And make no mistake, if these laws come in, that could well kill off biking.

As it is, in the UK you have to pass Compulsory Basic Training on a 125 before you can even go on the road. You then have just 2 years to pass a theory test (which also contains a computer test of hazard perception) and then a practical test which forms a road ride plus proof you can perform a set of manouvres - including pushing the bike (why?). Pass this - and you are restricted for 2 years to no more than 33bhp - unless you pay out quite a bit of money (I think about £400/£500) to take Direct Access, which means you do the above, but on a bike of 47bhp or more. You're then allowed to ride anything.

What the Eurocrats propose is much harsher. Aside from scrapping Direct Access altogether, they're talking about raising the minimum ages for riding at certain levels, plus introducing further practical tests at each level. And each of these is going to cost money. Plus you'll need a bike of the required spec at each stage - so you'll probably be hiring that. And where are all the instructors and testers coming from to handle all these additional tests? And they'll all need paying... which will have to come from the test fees.

So to ride a bike without restrictions, you could, from the age of 17, have to take FOUR tests (not including the theory one).

On the other hand, you could just go off and do one car test and drive anything you want.

This is a really serious threat to the future of biking - so if you know anyone in the UK - or you're over here yourself - PLEASE complete the form and lobby your MP and MEPs. Just hopefully enough pressure will be brough to bear to save biking over here.

The_Dover
30th October 2005, 23:00

Uh huh.......... :whistle:

Bob
2nd November 2005, 02:38
Well I just got an email from one of my MEPs, stating that he and his UKIP (UK Independence Party) colleagues will be voting against the proposal.

No idea how many MEPs that party has, but it all helps.

dhunt
2nd November 2005, 10:04
Are there lots of bike accidents or what is the excuse for making this law change? It sounds like our government which likes taking away people responsibility to use common sense (or lack there of).

It sounds like it would be cheaper/easier to get an license overseas and transfer it?

parsley
2nd November 2005, 21:26
Just had this reply:
Dear ***,
Thank you for your email about the Third European Driving License
Directive. My priority in responding to the proposed legislation is the
safety of motorcycle users, as well as other road users and pedestrians
- not how easy, or otherwise, it is to start riding a motorbike.

The Green Group, which as a Green Party MEP I belong to, did propose
some amendments at the committee stage which would have further
tightened the safety aspects of the legislation. Unfortunately these
were rejected but I still feel that the proposed legislation is overall
beneficial. I also believe that by creating a uniform system the
chances of fraud will be reduced and it will become easier for all motorists,
including motorcyclists, to travel around the EU. The Green Group is
also pushing for better differentiation between vehicles on the basis
of engine power and stricter criteria relating to education and
experience.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about this.

Yours sincerely,
Caroline Lucas MEP.

Basically she's saying

' blah blah blah... I wanted it to be more strict but they wouldn't let me... blah blah blah'

parsley
3rd November 2005, 09:50
Oh bugger. It never occurred to me that my mum knows her local MP quite well, so his reply was given to her to send to me! I wonder what he thinks of constituents who haven't lived in the UK for 7 years emailing him about policy? I think this is his way of saying "I know where you live". :dodge:

Dear Mr xxx,

Thank you for your email of 25th October. Every day I find another reason to congratulate myself on the decision that I made in 1975 to vote for withdrawing for what was then the common market. All the dreadful things that we predicted have come to pass including this latest daft example that you have sent me. I will, of course, make representations to the Minister.

I am far from convinced that the proposed changes will be effective in reducing casualties. Those that advocate these provisions should justify them with evidence and this has not been done.

I do fear that the Government may be preparing to sell the pass on this directive as part of its larger goal to create an illusion of harmony during its current EU Presidency.

I will write to you again when I get a response from the Minister.

Yours sincerely,

Desmond Swayne TD MP

NordieBoy
3rd November 2005, 19:24
Your last name is xxx?

Cool :niceone:

parsley
3rd November 2005, 20:50
Your last name is xxx?

Cool :niceone:
Yeah, but my Dad's XXX to avoid confusion.