PDA

View Full Version : Tacho - showing idle at 6K rpm

justsomeguy
2nd November 2005, 19:35
HI there,

My tacho seems to have gone a bit weird.....

This has happenend twice.

It is showing a reading which appears to be around 6K over the actual rpm.

The zxr usually idles at 1.5K - the tacho shows 6K. It also goes off the clock - nearly 1/2 an inch past 20K rpm when I'm at motorway speeds.

What is causing this???? How serious is it??

JSG

SPman
2nd November 2005, 19:45
ummmmm - its fucked?

White trash
2nd November 2005, 19:47
I'd say it's a partially flat battery or perhaps a dodgy earth.

Have you got a ZXR now?

Two Smoker
2nd November 2005, 19:49

Have you got a ZXR now?

Im going for this one too... sounds like a partially flat battery...

justsomeguy
2nd November 2005, 19:50

Have you got a ZXR now?

Yea, bought juzzer's old bike.

Getting new tyres and chain and sprockets tomorrow :banana: can't wait.:sunny:

So you reckon its a partially flat battery - hmm may be the case.

But why does it happen of and on?? twice in the week and few days I've owned the bike?

justsomeguy
2nd November 2005, 19:53

Right - so take it out charge it and put it back then huh??

Do I need to replace fluids or anything???

Or will just normal riding 40k's of commuting everyday do it??

White trash
2nd November 2005, 19:53
Yea, bought juzzer's old bike.

Getting new tyres and chain and sprockets tomorrow :banana: can't wait.:sunny:

So you reckon its a partially flat battery - hmm may be the case.

But why does it happen of and on?? twice in the week and few days I've owned the bike?

Now we'll get technical, it could be a solitary fucked cell in the battery.

I don't know why it could be, it just could.

You're not the cocksucker that followed me over Redoubt Road to Papakura tonight are ya?

Two Smoker
2nd November 2005, 19:56
You're not the cocksucker that followed me over Redoubt Road to Papakura tonight are ya?

Ah so your the cunt i wasted....

justsomeguy
2nd November 2005, 19:57
Now we'll get technical, it could be a solitary fucked cell in the battery.

I don't know why it could be, it just could.

OK - so what do I do??

Naa - you're the only cocksucker around:niceone:

I only go from central to east Auckland.

I've got a sanded greyish primer coloured ZXR, no side fairings at the moment.

JSG

justsomeguy
2nd November 2005, 19:58
Ah so your the cunt i wasted....

So you're the cocksucker that wasted the cunt - ah nice to know :laugh:

-Which stolen bike were you on trashy?

White trash
2nd November 2005, 20:18
-Which stolen bike were you on trashy?

A highly solubrious black SV650S that just happened to be in the gargre this morning.

Nah, this young fella was riding alright, however, if it was TS, he's gonna be in real trouble if he ever expects to win a race again.

justsomeguy
2nd November 2005, 20:31
So what's the work-around to the tacho problem??

I can't have anything go wrong with the bike.... will be a bit hard to get to work otherwise....:mellow:

R6_kid
2nd November 2005, 20:43
when you have some time, take the tank off... then take the air box off and out (make sure you hold on to the o-rings for the carb throats)

by now you should be able to see ALL of the guts (wiring) of yer bike.... check it all for splits in the shrink wrap/tape covering, fix/replace as necesary.

Check as many of the connections as possible and CRC 5.65(the usual shit) all the connections you can (very lightly, eg one slight squirt each)

put it all back together and see if it fixes your problem. Otherwise i *might* be able to come and look it.

cheers
G.... the zxr adonus guy :apumpin:

p.s this is a very primitive way to try and solve the problem, but is a cheap and easy solution that may just fix your problem.

SARGE
2nd November 2005, 21:00
HI there,

My tacho seems to have gone a bit weird.....

This has happenend twice.

It is showing a reading which appears to be around 6K over the actual rpm.

The zxr usually idles at 1.5K - the tacho shows 6K. It also goes off the clock - nearly 1/2 an inch past 20K rpm when I'm at motorway speeds.

What is causing this???? How serious is it??

JSG

sounds like its a Winter Air problem.. with the change of seasons,the winter air thats presntly in your tires will expand very fast due to the higher road tempratures, causing your tacho to read very high.

go the the Shell Station... drain all the Winter Air out of the tires and replace with summer air from the hose...

that should sort it

justsomeguy
2nd November 2005, 21:05
sounds like its a Winter Air problem.. with the change of seasons,the winter air thats presntly in your tires will expand very fast due to the higher road tempratures, causing your tacho to read very high.

go the the Shell Station... drain all the Winter Air out of the tires and replace with summer air from the hose...

that should sort it

Dunno if you're being serious or taking the mickey - but I'll try it anyway....

Hey - could you do me a favour... ask Dan if the Diadora people have come back with my boots.

Cheers.

Ixion
2nd November 2005, 21:42

Off topic, but you DO NOT want to know what happens if you try to start a BMW with a flat battery, and a charger connected. Wierd ain't in it.

inlinefour
3rd November 2005, 12:11
could it be the cable getting ready to give up?

bugjuice
3rd November 2005, 12:15
Dunno if you're being serious or taking the mickey - but I'll try it anyway....

omg :rofl:

any clue on how old the battery is? might just save you a lot of hassle by just buying a new one if it's old and getting past it.. else if you can check the fluid levels in the battery, do that, and stick it on charge over night and see if that changes anything

MrMelon
3rd November 2005, 12:19
Check the flux capacitor. Those zxr's are notorious for blowing them. You don't want to end up back in the 80's do you?

R6_kid
3rd November 2005, 12:23
new battery is only $45 i think... even if it dont fix the problem you'll still have a new battery :spudwave: thats like another 5hp increase.

cant remember if the ZXR tacho runs off a cable (like the speedo) or if it has the new age pulsey thingy ma doo da...

NhuanH
3rd November 2005, 12:43
new battery is only $45 i think... even if it dont fix the problem you'll still have a new battery :spudwave: thats like another 5hp increase.
bah, why aim so low? strap on a F16 jet turbine...

Or ask yo momma about the High Abuser.

Zapf
3rd November 2005, 19:05
so when are you in Botony Mr.SomeYoungGuy

justsomeguy
3rd November 2005, 19:16
bah, why aim so low? strap on a F16 jet turbine...

Or ask yo momma about the High Abuser.

My mama says - you so slow because you are always constipated - and the extra weight causes your bike to struggle.

justsomeguy
3rd November 2005, 19:18
so when are you in Botony Mr.SomeYoungGuy

Have to come there for petrol money...... - off to scrub my new tyres in now....... see what the fuss is about these GPR 70's -- and if a fancier chain, sprocket kit makes any diff....

Oooh Dahling Cheenic Dwive - :love: -

NhuanH
3rd November 2005, 19:20
My mama says - you so slow because you are always constipated - and the extra weight causes your bike to struggle.
that's cos she always gives me a cookie every time...

avgas
3rd November 2005, 19:20
Check the flux capacitor. Those zxr's are notorious for blowing them. You don't want to end up back in the 80's do you?
yeh that or the batteries dont have 10 Gigga-Watts of power no more

justsomeguy
3rd November 2005, 19:22
that's cos she always gives me a cookie every time...

So you're the reason . You bastard - those are my cookies.:crybaby: :crybaby:

I'm coming over and kidnapping your teddy bear - :angry:

NhuanH
3rd November 2005, 19:27
So you're the reason . You bastard - those are my cookies.:crybaby: :crybaby:

I'm coming over and kidnapping your teddy bear - :angry:
Oh dear, Ujjie, you don't want to deserve those cookies bruv!

2_SL0
3rd November 2005, 19:40
I will def pass on the cookies. But your tacho problem, could be related to bling factor. Are you wearing enough bling. I recommend gold. Large gold chain around your neck and waist. Maybe a couple of gold teeth. Def a gold painted helmet. :niceone:

SlowHand
3rd November 2005, 19:56
You get cookies from your mother?

ask if your momma's gona check out all your tacho with you, mommas gona wait up till you get in, she wont let you ride after 10pm, mommas gona fix yer bike toniiiiight~

ooooo, JSG, mommas gona help fix your tacho~

anyone else swaying?

Firefight
3rd November 2005, 20:17
HI there,

How serious is it

JSG

Sell the fuckin bike :whistle:

F/F

2_SL0
3rd November 2005, 20:23
If you cant find the tie rod, pop down to your local bike store with the tacho and ask them to point it out.

N4CR
3rd November 2005, 20:37
Tie rods are not always on the 1992 and onwards ZXR250C's. JSG has the painted alu box frame so must be 1992 or after. I think he has a swivel pin.
That swivel pin might be magnetising somehow with that tank being all sanded. - Could have broken off that way.
Gotta be careful because when they break/launch they can come out of the dial face, I have heard of a couple of people binning because of that at high speed, cracked the friggen visor. Some high voltages around there at high rpm mate so watch out.

I have got rid of the modded zx6r rubber sheath, it didn't last that long so now I have a teflon coated swivel pin. Bahahaha come on 40,000kms without problems!

Good luck mate.

And yeah if in doubt get the pro's to sort it out.

SlowHand
3rd November 2005, 20:50
Im a newb to all this. Gyro's what stablises the tacho needle right? I must add tie-rods and swivel pins to my servicing list. Don't like getting whacked in the face by those things!

N4CR
3rd November 2005, 20:55
Im a newb to all this. Gyro's what stablises the tacho needle right? I must add tie-rods and swivel pins to my servicing list. Don't like getting whacked in the face by those things!

Yeah it can be dangerous. And you have to get a new visor with all the scratching.

SM: good idea getting it degaussed, I never thaught of that! Just replace them without thinking. Costs a bit too...

JSG if you want to borrow my tape head de-magnetiser you are welcome but I don't know if it is strong enough for de-gaussing those tie rods/swivel pins etc.

2_SL0
3rd November 2005, 20:56
Can you modify the newer model gauge by putting water in it, will that do the same thing, or would that be silly.

justsomeguy
3rd November 2005, 21:08
Yeah it can be dangerous. And you have to get a new visor with all the scratching.

SM: good idea getting it degaussed, I never thaught of that! Just replace them without thinking. Costs a bit too...

JSG if you want to borrow my tape head de-magnetiser you are welcome but I don't know if it is strong enough for de-gaussing those tie rods/swivel pins etc.

Oi matey - you coming on the Slow ride down Cheenic DWive:love: .... we can talk then.

By the way - the tacho seems back to normal now - hasn't done it again.....

As for the air in the tyres - I got new air :whistle:

2_SL0
3rd November 2005, 21:09
Pretty stupid if its electronic.

AAAAA, of course, GGGG lucky we got clever people like u here.

justsomeguy
3rd November 2005, 21:10
Sell the fuckin bike :whistle:

F/F

How bout we swap bikes for the next 10 months?? Then I'll get my full and buy myself a bigger one.

N4CR
3rd November 2005, 21:20
Oi matey - you coming on the Slow ride down Cheenic DWive:love: .... we can talk then.

By the way - the tacho seems back to normal now - hasn't done it again.....

As for the air in the tyres - I got new air :whistle:

Yeah I had a problem on a massive ride in that crappy weather up to northland with John where the speedo 'redlined' at 16,000rpm and the bike wouldnt go any faster. Went away in the morning after drying out. Was a real bitch passing all the cars in the pouring rain.

Yeah I might see you fading away in the rear mirrors on the 5th 'slow' ride but I won't exactly be sticking with the slow people :lol:

justsomeguy
3rd November 2005, 21:22
Yeah I might see you fading away in the rear mirrors on the 5th 'slow' ride but I won't exactly be sticking with the slow people :lol:

Sweet - will only join you on Cheenic Dwive :love: - then head off home to do some stuff...... then off to Gareths to get my bike looked at...

bugjuice
3rd November 2005, 21:31
have you checked the magneto relay? that can be a common cause.. If you want, we could arrange to swap the dash from the 95 XZ6 I've got, and see if it's the charge in your clocks, or the wiring from the splits upwards..

SlowHand
3rd November 2005, 21:35
JSG, did the new air make any diff? I was thinking of doing the same - do you have to let all the air out or what? Not sure if that will damage my new tires

justsomeguy
3rd November 2005, 21:51
have you checked the magneto relay? that can be a common cause.. If you want, we could arrange to swap the dash from the 95 XZ6 I've got, and see if it's the charge in your clocks, or the wiring from the splits upwards..

I'm gonna most probably be at Gareth's on Sat afternoon in Greenhithe, could swing by your place later.

Are you free then??

justsomeguy
3rd November 2005, 21:51
JSG, did the new air make any diff? I was thinking of doing the same - do you have to let all the air out or what? Not sure if that will damage my new tires

It was fine on the way to work this morning on the old tyres.

Got new tyres so the air came with them.

bugjuice
4th November 2005, 08:28
I'm gonna most probably be at Gareth's on Sat afternoon in Greenhithe, could swing by your place later.

Are you free then??
can't this weekend, already booked out, soz.. Gareth should know a thing or two tho..

justsomeguy
4th November 2005, 16:55
can't this weekend, already booked out, soz.. Gareth should know a thing or two tho..

GAreth got invited to another ride........ oh well next weekend then......