PDA

View Full Version : Ducati Desmosedici Style Polinis

Coyote
5th November 2005, 17:07
http://www.polini.co.uk/news/current/new_ducatis.htm

Look amazing but the price stings a bit

White trash
5th November 2005, 17:34
Truth is, if you've got the coin, buy a Polini. You wont regret it.

Coyote
5th November 2005, 17:40
Truth is, if you've got the coin, buy a Polini. You wont regret it.
When I sell the CBR what would the money be better spent on? A Polini or a CR/KX500? Both of them sound pretty ridiculous

White trash
5th November 2005, 17:48
When I sell the CBR what would the money be better spent on? A Polini or a CR/KX500? Both of them sound pretty ridiculous

What the hell do you expect to do with a CR/KX500? Dead class sonny.

Coyote
5th November 2005, 20:12
What the hell do you expect to do with a CR/KX500? Dead class sonny.
Supermoto

Yes I'm nuts. I'm thinking of getting a minimoto and making a DIY nitrous kit for it

Broomie
9th November 2005, 07:58
alarumba, first thing ... hello all as this is my first post in here, you can thank White Trash for putting a link on mm.co.nz/forum for that one :yes:

some more info from some one that chase's one round and has ridden one

the Ducati rep Polini is a MiniMoto, so it's smaller in height and wheel base, about 60mm in each direction, the minis have 5.5" rims but this model has midi rims which are 6.5" (rim is 11mm narrower to pull tyre round, more rubber on ground) , it also has the reverse style GP3 engine, Scotty in Akl has one with 5 port engine (from GP3) instead of 3 port as std ... goes quick and handles like super glue on tyres!!

Cheers
Bret

Coyote
10th November 2005, 18:41
the Ducati rep Polini is a MiniMoto, so it's smaller in height and wheel base, about 60mm in each direction, the minis have 5.5" rims but this model has midi rims which are 6.5" (rim is 11mm narrower to pull tyre round, more rubber on ground) , it also has the reverse style GP3 engine, Scotty in Akl has one with 5 port engine (from GP3) instead of 3 port as std ... goes quick and handles like super glue on tyres!!

Cheers
Bret
Thanks for the info. I was wondering what the difference between mini and midi was.

Welcome to the site :niceone: How much did your GRC cost? A 15hp spec would've been around $7000 wouldn't it?

Broomie
11th November 2005, 06:52
Nah ... $2500- as a 4 year old 9.3 Hp

current mods are as follows
Bike is a 2001 GRC/Polini GP Racing
Water cooled 50cc kit
Zocchi high flow water pump
Zocchi auto cool clutch bell and housing
Zocchi carbonium clutch pads
18mm Dell’orto carb
Polini MX quick action throttle
PMT T41 tyres on 3 piece rims
Polini GP2 steering damper
Full F/glass fairings instead of plastics
Billet fuel cap
and a funny lookin' paint job ... goes with the pilot:blink:

Mark Malloy in Akl has an identical bike (not quite so many mods) with the 50cc kit and 17mm carb for about $3000-,
cheap as hell and fast :yes:

If I ride my bike hard I can play with the new kitted Polini GP3s, so these old bikes are still fast

alarumba, did you go to the Wellington round at Labour weekend for a look see?

Cheers
Bret

last time I checked prices, a new GP3 reverse in NZ was $5500-

Coyote
11th November 2005, 08:28
Sounds awesome. How much would the whole set up cost you? Haven't seen any minimoto racing yet but I should be able to go to Kaitoke on the 20th.

A polini would just be a bit too much, I was planning to get a cheap Daytona to have a bit of fun, pull to pieces and modify it e.g. make a nitrous kit for it :p

http://www.diy-nitrous.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm

SimJen
11th November 2005, 09:16
Nitrous is a waste of time on Minimoto's. Turns the barrels and pistons to powder......not really much increase in power either.
You'd be better getting a cheap watercooled chinese minimoto, such as a B1 Replica or a Banshee SHO.
Check out our team site for B1 stuff.
http://brospeed.simjen.com

Coyote
11th November 2005, 10:26
Nitrous is a waste of time on Minimoto's. Turns the barrels and pistons to powder......not really much increase in power either.

I don't really want to do it for the performance, I just want to work on the bike. A minimoto seems like the best option if I want to learn how to do mods like turbocharging and water injection

Broomie
13th November 2005, 10:01
NOS ...:doh:
turbo charge ... double :doh:

what MM do you ride currently alarumba to want these mods

sounds like you just need better porting, because open or supers are kinda quick and hard to hang onto .. bloody hard to keep the front down, a MM with eough power to over steer a $200- radial slick has enough for me, am I just gettin' old?

PS: hello Si

Coyote
13th November 2005, 11:04
what MM do you ride currently alarumba to want these mods

Haven't got one yet

These are all just ideas. I've wanted a project bike to do all this stuff to for a while. A minimoto would be one of the cheaper and less space wasting options. Also wouldn't it be far cooler than a cheap bike off trademe? What would you be more interested in? A tubrocharged and Nitroused fitted Minimoto or old 80s CB125?

White trash
13th November 2005, 20:26
sounds like you just need better porting, because open or supers are kinda quick and hard to hang onto

Bear in mind Alurwhatever, that that's as much horse power as an FXR150 in a 30kg package.

I hadn't seen this class of machine in Wellington, moving up here and witnessing them first hand, I've gotta say, "Holy SHIT!" They're scary fast.

I thought a B1 was quick. B1s are all shit compared to these critters.

Broomie
14th November 2005, 06:47
Thank you White Trash:bash:

are you going to attend our little meeting at Edgecombe in a couple of weeks, they are heeps bigger than the Akl turn out, you could race with 10 or more bikes just like yours
the Ducati and others like mine will be there, faster track than Mt Welly

I wasn't at the one hour as a perticular muppet pushed me off at last event:doh:

It's our last round for the season and should be a goodin, see you on the day?

White trash
14th November 2005, 07:03
I'd love to be there, but my lovely ladies birthday party is the same night. Looks like I'll miss out.

aff-man
14th November 2005, 09:34
That and his bike doesn't do more that 5 laps without falling apart :blink: :blink: :lol: :lol:

Those damn polini's are so fecking quick... p.s. hey trashy we need some new rubber due to some canvass poking out after our last round hahahahaha