PDA

View Full Version : Riot over 'Women bike ban' in Nigeria

Bob
15th December 2005, 01:15
A riot broke loose in Nigeria over a religious ruling that men and women cannot travel together on taxi motorcycles. After one taxi rider in was told to remove a woman from his taxi, more than 50 other motorbike taxi riders began fighting with religious marshals. Six people were wounded in the incident.

In accordance with Sharia law, men and women are not allowed to travel together on public transport. Women say there is not sufficient public transport alternative, despite about 500 three-wheeled motorbike taxis and 100 women's-only buses being introduced.

mstriumph
15th December 2005, 01:35
religion being divisive again

no - i'm not being racist or sexist or any other 'ist' .......... it just pains me that something as potentially cohesive as religion, in most of its forms spends more time emphasising our differences and causing conflict instead of focusing on our similarities and fostering harmony

ok - rant over - sorry pardon - as you were :corn:

Test Pilot
15th December 2005, 08:28
religion is the cause of too many conflicts around the world.

bugjuice
15th December 2005, 08:31
that's unreal.. I don't understand some cultures and religions. And I don't think they have any sort of grasp on reality. How fucking stupid is that?

Altho, it would mean that I wouldn't get dragged to the mall every weekend

In The Breeze
15th December 2005, 08:34
Hence why I has issues with religion. Seems to be up to the "strongest's" opinion at the time and when violence is used to press their opinions on others it turns me off even more. The whole things sounds backwards and rediculous to this boy,but hey,that's my opinion:2thumbsup

enigma51
15th December 2005, 08:36
A womens place is in the kitchen

This should make the thread intersting :banana:

Sniper
15th December 2005, 08:36
Its Nigeria, its fucked already

bugjuice
15th December 2005, 08:40
A womens place is in the kitchen

This should make the thread intersting :banana:
my dishwasher broke down the other day... she wouldn't stop crying about how the water was too hot, and her back was aching blah blah.. dunno, I switched off

enigma51
15th December 2005, 08:48
my dishwasher broke down the other day... she wouldn't stop crying about how the water was too hot, and her back was aching blah blah.. dunno, I switched off

just make the chain shorter it should sort it out! :wait:

mstriumph
15th December 2005, 12:56
In accordance with Sharia law, men and women are not allowed to travel together on public transport. ..............

hmmmmmmm

rethink .............. looking on the brighter side .........

since the DRIVER is obviously 'travelling' on the same transport as the passengers, then, theoretically MALE drivers would not be permitted to drive FEMALE ONLY transport .................. which would 'up' employment opportunities for women in nigeria???? .............

in which case it could be a GOOD THING? :blink:

..........unless, of course, sharia prohibits women drivers ......... [anyone know?]

in which case it's a TERRIBLE THING [and we should get that nice mr bush to invade nigeria and teach them the error of their ways by force-feedin em junk food!!!!] :angry:

enigma51
15th December 2005, 12:59
hmmmmmmm

rethink .............. looking on the brighter side .........

since the DRIVER is obviously 'travelling' on the same transport as the passengers, then, theoretically MALE drivers would not be permitted to drive FEMALE ONLY transport .................. which would 'up' employment opportunities for women in nigeria???? .............

in which case it could be a GOOD THING? :blink:

..........unless, of course, sharia prohibits women drivers ......... [anyone know?]

in which case it's a TERRIBLE THING [and we should get that nice mr bush to invade nigeria and teach them the error of their ways by force-feedin em junk food!!!!] :angry:

put alot of thought into this :whistle:

tracyprier
15th December 2005, 13:01

Mate I thought it was the cause of MOST of the worlds conflicts...well that and oil.

mstriumph
15th December 2005, 13:05
put alot of thought into this :whistle:

WOW!

you think i THINK!!

.......................... thank you thank you thank you :rolleyes:

mstriumph
15th December 2005, 13:07
Mate I thought it was the cause of MOST of the worlds conflicts...well that and oil.

--------- ohhhhhhh - and that nice mr bush, surely? :wait:

Waylander
15th December 2005, 14:04
I say ban religion. Get rid of it all. What's the point of so many of them anyway? In essence they all worship the same god, just call him by a different name.

bugjuice
15th December 2005, 14:09
oi WL, back to the kitchen..

Waylander
15th December 2005, 14:21
What's "the kitchen"?

EDIT: Just realized before this post I had 5678 posts....

enigma51
15th December 2005, 14:22
What's "the kitchen"?
Thats where we keep the women :Pokey:

Skyryder
6th January 2006, 16:58

Been a few here too. Trouble is when it starts to get exciting some wally decides to shift it all over to the Scottish side.

Skyryder

Skyryder
6th January 2006, 17:22
religion being divisive again

no - i'm not being racist or sexist or any other 'ist' .......... it just pains me that something as potentially cohesive as religion, in most of its forms spends more time emphasising our differences and causing conflict instead of focusing on our similarities and fostering harmony

ok - rant over - sorry pardon - as you were :corn:

A few years back I was at a party with the wife. The people holding it were religious and they had a few friends over. Well I got chatting to this guys wife about the things that other religions had in common with Christians. Now it did not take long for the husband to enter the discussion as I was making some impression on the wife. Anyway this guy starts up how Christians are better than other religions and if they do not recognise Christ as the son of God they will all go to hell....etc etc blah blah drivel drivel drivel. I counted his argument by pointing out that those of the Islamic faith worship the God of Abraham. That this is the same God that Christians worship. This guy was something else. He proceeded to castigate me in public claiming that the Christian God that he worshiped was not the same as Allah and like most who have no idea what they are on about turned his back on me before I had a chance to reply, taking his wife with him.

Skyryder