PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable quiz

yessum
7th March 2004, 20:38
Quick Background Story:
I've had to detach the clutch end of the clutch cable (for reasons non-clutch related :sneaky2: ), and i'm dashed if I can tell how I would remove it from it's plastic surrounds, or put a new one in if both ends already have end-stays attached. Obviously removing a broken one would be a piece of pie.

So, Question:
If and when I buy a clutch cable, what bits do I get?
Just the flexible steel cabling, or does it come in some plastic sheath/shield, or what? Do I have to attach the end-stays myself?

Inquiring minds want to know!
yessum

Two Smoker
7th March 2004, 21:05
The whole clutch cable comes assembles lol, all you have to do it fit it, thats it. My clutch cable cost $75 tho:crazy:

mccool
7th March 2004, 21:35
In olden times, when heap buffalo roam plains, i understand it was common for chaps to buy just steel cable, mould the 'knobs' from lead and fuse them to the cable while molten. Still feasible for the dedicated I suppose. Me, I just taken the old cable to the shop and say "Gimme one of these please".

Andrew
7th March 2004, 21:40
Go to the motorcycle wreckers. They will measure the length of the origional cable and make up a new cable for you. You can use your original sleeve if its not rooted, otherwise you'll have to buy a new sleeve aswell. It cost me $40 to get my cable replaced.

Kwaka-Kid
7th March 2004, 21:54
$35 genuine Honda for an VFR400 NC30 cable :) from Mt Eden Motorcycles, i actually think they are $55 but they stuffed up and couldnt get me a pattern one so gave me genuine :D and yeah dude you prolly get the plastic bit surrounding it, unless it has a little slit you push the cable forward then slide the cable bit only out of? :S

Jackrat
7th March 2004, 22:38
Your shop bought cable will come complete an ready to rock.
Many moons ago you could buy cable making kits,normaly from shops that seviced older British bikes, They came/come with a heap of different sized nipples and cable sleaves.You bought the cable wire,cut it to length,stuck it up the outer,crimped the sleaves on,soldered the nipples in place,Then you found out you had made it the wrong length,went back to the shop and bought the stock one.I still have some old nipples and sleaves laying around some where but havn't needed them since giving up on old Brit' bikes and Suzuki two strokes.If you do decide to waste your money you can buy a kit from British spares in Wellington.I wouldn't do it but.

Holy Roller
8th March 2004, 04:28
Your shop bought cable will come complete an ready to rock.
Many moons ago you could buy cable making kits,normaly from shops that seviced older British bikes, They came/come with a heap of different sized nipples and cable sleaves.You bought the cable wire,cut it to length,stuck it up the outer,crimped the sleaves on,soldered the nipples in place,Then you found out you had made it the wrong length,went back to the shop and bought the stock one.I still have some old nipples and sleaves laying around some where but havn't needed them since giving up on old Brit' bikes and Suzuki two strokes.If you do decide to waste your money you can buy a kit from British spares in Wellington.I wouldn't do it but.

I agree with Jackrat.
Just had mine replaced when I had the clutch done, the outer had worn away some due to rubbing. I nrearly broke the clutch lever pulling it in, it was so light, now i have to go to the gym for my workout.