PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to Hislop to be erected outside family home

Bob
29th December 2005, 01:24
A commemorative cairn is to be erected outside the former family home of multiple TT-winner Steve Hislop in the small hamlet of Southdean where he grew up and is now buried.

The cairn, which contains an engraved tribute on Manx slate to the twice British Superbike Champion, has been commissioned from a local sculptor.

Ogri
29th December 2005, 11:12
This memorial was erected in the park in Hawick and I know Steve would be cringing at it.

He is buried beneath a beautiful headstone, beside Sandy (his Dad) and Gary (his brother) in the cemetery at Southdean and there is also a Cairn erected at roughly the spot his whirly bird went down, I don't really see the need for anymore. But, I suppose people need to do something and if it's ok with Margaret (his Mum) then enough said.

Steve was a great bloke, as was Sandy and Gary and Margaret is a lady with more strength and dignity than I could ever hope to attain.

My husband grew up with Steve and has known the family all his life. I had the pleasure of becoming friends with them all when I met my husband some 27 years ago. After moving to NZ four years ago, we still managed to keep in touch with Steve and it was an horrendous shock to learn of his death, especially as he had sent us a copy of his book which we received two days after his death.

He was and is one of the nicest human beings I have ever met.