PDA

View Full Version : Mini-choppers

LB
3rd January 2006, 12:08
When in Taupo for a few days over Christmas, I see there is one of the motels along the lakefront hiring out those stupid bloody mini-chopper shitters.

They are 50cc which means you don't need a bike licence to ride them.

I observed a couple of "Joanne Bloggs" public riding them through Taupo's main streets, and have a couple of observations to make.

The rider sits so low on the bike that they cannot be seen behind/in front of cars (let alone all the 4x4's that are on the road these days).

And Joanne Bloggs obviously thought that playing in the traffic on SH1 was fun. She (and her friend on the other one) were laughing as they wobbled slowly in front of oncoming traffic when turning right at the traffic lights. Cars coming straight through the lights, that had the right of way, had to stop to avoid hitting these two as they very slowly took their time getting across the lanes. The riders were wearing t-shirts, shorts and sandshoes. Oh yes, and a helmet.

In my opinion, these mini-chopper things are dangerous.

Sure, they are fine in an off-road situation, but please, not on our public roads. I cannot believe that the LTSA licences them for road use. I intend to write to the LTSA expressing my concern.

And let's not forget that when someone is killed on one (and I firmly believe that it's only a matter of time) the death will be added into our "motorcycle" statistics.

My $0.02

Grumpy
3rd January 2006, 12:13
I agree. We got a stupid prick who rides up and down our road on one. I sure hope I'm not the one who has to go and scrape him up when he gets run over by one of the many SUV's that trip up and down our road.

Coyote
3rd January 2006, 12:15
I agree as well. At the very least they could wear the fluro vests or have a flag on a pole on the back

Hitcher
3rd January 2006, 13:34
I don't see logic in the LTNZ's "ride a bike with a car license" regulation anyway. Minimotos only make it more of a nonsense. Prediction for 2006: people will be killed riding minimotos on the road; there will be outrage; they will be banned.

MidnightMike
3rd January 2006, 13:42
Mini choppers are ugly ass, pieces of sh#t anyway and I dont see why people would want to drag their ass along the road :moon: on something so pathetic. :oi-grr:

HenryDorsetCase
3rd January 2006, 14:55
I don't see logic in the LTNZ's "ride a bike with a car license" regulation anyway. Minimotos only make it more of a nonsense. Prediction for 2006: people will be killed riding minimotos on the road; there will be outrage; they will be banned.

Fuckin A

anyone on two wheels and a motor needs a specific licence in my view.

in fact I reckon that sometimes its harder to ride a little bike in traffic than a bigger one... a big and particularly a big, noisy bike makes the fucker back off a bit.... especially tailgaters who I fucking hate. slowing down to 30kph usually gives them the idea. Fuckers

I nearly collected one going up Lincoln Road on Saturday morning. Busy as fuck and this turkey just wobbles out into the bike lane (kinda...) then all over the fucking road.

and the money people pay for these pieces of shit assembled by slaves in China most likely is outrageous! You could get an actual motorbike for that.

Chopper TV shows have a lot (good and bad) to answer for....

TLDV8
3rd January 2006, 15:06
My concern besides you would have to be gay to ride one (no offence mean't to actual gay people)... is,the half size makes them seem further away than they are.It will only be a matter of time before one plants its self in the side of a car.Being that low with high bars the injuries will be severe me thinks.

madboy
3rd January 2006, 15:47
I was drag racing my daughter the other night (her on her pushbike, me on the minimoto), and after I'd proven that a minimoto actually CAN beat something, I did a lap of the block. Picture a quiet residential neighbourhood with stuff all traffic, NOT SH1!

As I'm cruising down the road at prob 45ish top speed, I'm following an Impreza when the thought occurs to me... my head is about level with their bootlid.

Well if they can't see a bright green Kawasaki with a headlight, not much chance they're gonna see a silver minimoto with no lights at all.

Highlander
3rd January 2006, 16:09
When these bozzos crap off on the road from what is in most cases unregistered and unwarrantable, it goes down statisically as a Motorcycle accident, and the rest of us pay more in ACC levies and insurance premiums.

Motu
3rd January 2006, 16:47
We used to hire out FA 50s 15 yrs or so ago,whole groups of people would hire them and they'd race around the place with the horns going,so I disconnected the horns.Lot's of them had obviously never ridden a bike before,and the only protective gear they had was the poorly fitting helmet we supplied.

Funny...but no body died,or broke bones,although there were a few cases of gravel rash.

Sketchy_Racer
3rd January 2006, 16:53
meh..... its their fucking fault if they get hit.... i have a full sized scooter, which are the same size as an FXR 150 so i dont think that the rule should interfeer with this sort of thing...

The Beast
3rd January 2006, 18:48
I agree with the others, they don't belong on the road, regardless of who's riding them, even if it is someone with 20yrs of riding experience. They are just plain dangerous, it's just a matter of time before something does happen.
On one news a while back, there was a report on them and they talked to a guy from LTSA and he said they were trying to rule out the loophole that people went through to register these things as mopeds by making a minimum wheel diameter or something like that.

Madboy you naughty, naughty boy, shouldn't be riding on the road with that race-bred machine!!!:msn-wink:

Ixion
3rd January 2006, 20:58
..they'd race around the place with the horns going,so I disconnected the horns...

As one does :motu: :killingme :rofl:

I can't believe MarkAuckland hasn't posted here yet... only a matter of time

skidMark
4th January 2006, 11:02
I can't believe MarkAuckland hasn't posted here yet... only a matter of time

yes yes indeed lets get the ball rolling..... :devil2:
ok it says here that ltsa are going to (possibly) put a minimum wheel diameter.

now am i crazy or right in saying that....a mini chopper usually has a 10 inch rear wheel... and a 12 inch front.

Where as your average little scooter has a 10 inch wheel front and rear....
so does this mean if they do that all the scooters would not be for sale?
So i do not see that as a logical option.

It also seems that all the mini choppers are all being tarred with the same brush.
as to no registration no light's and lack of protective gear.

Where as....my chopper is registered has working lights and indicators brake lights all work etc.
For protective gear i don't wear some stupid german illegal helmet.

I wear a fullface helmet gloves and a leather jacket and proper shoes not jandels. and jeans (huilty as charged i know getting round to finding the gear i wan't) 18 and bullet proof blah frikking blah.

Everybody and i mean everybody goes on and on about the low seat height.
and people won't see them and you need fluro gear.

the type of people that generally buy these things are teens wanting to go for a senseless blat and they go on extremely busy roads. and think they are bulletproof and think they are really cool.

yes there is a high danger of being hit on one but it's a risk you take the idea is you make yourself visable as on any bike. and soon enough car drivers will learn to look out for bikes more because of this, and maybe bikes will get a little more respect. as so often bikes are just not seen or the car driver thinks they can..."beat the bike".

I like mini choppers for a bit of fun riding round cruising and if i could afford a bigger bike i would get one ...(hopefully the plan for later this year)
and some may say also that you can buy a big bike for the same amount of money.

yes you probably could thats why i wasn't stupid enough to pay full price looked around for a while, and i managed to pick up one in almost new condition which had only done a couple of tanks for $650 thats the only reason i got it if it was full price i wouldnt have touched it.

thats my opinion anyway.

Cheers: MA

Motu
4th January 2006, 11:25
I got one here my son in law picked up for $150 with ZERO kms,it's been parked outside and has surface rust on the chrome.Hope he registers it soon so I can go for a blat.

skidMark
4th January 2006, 11:28
wanna sell it lol

is it the 2 stroke or 4 stroke because the 2's are rubbish

MidnightMike
4th January 2006, 11:31
They are all rubbish :eyepoke:

skidMark
4th January 2006, 14:52
They are all rubbish :eyepoke:

and yet i have a bike and you don't have one ?

meh sick of everyones opinions on them you can hate them i don't like them that much but they are a bit of fun so i ride mine cus i got it cheap as shit ....still thinking i paid too much lol

The Beast
4th January 2006, 15:02
ok it says here that ltsa are going to (possibly) put a minimum wheel diameter.

now am i crazy or right in saying that....a mini chopper usually has a 10 inch rear wheel... and a 12 inch front.

Where as your average little scooter has a 10 inch wheel front and rear....
so does this mean if they do that all the scooters would not be for sale?
So i do not see that as a logical option.

Exactly what I thought.

blah blah blah... something about gear... something about ride height... blah blah

Knew he'd get all riled up over it.

The fact remains, fun as they may be, they should not be ridden in traffic as any normal bike is.

Mini quads and minimotos are fun, but you don't see people trying to use them as commuters...

skidMark
4th January 2006, 15:49
Knew he'd get all riled up over it.

The fact remains, fun as they may be, they should not be ridden in traffic as any normal bike is.

Mini quads and minimotos are fun, but you don't see people trying to use them as commuters...

umm actually some people do

oh cmon we ride bikes were all temporary new zealanders anyway :shit:

Vegan
5th January 2006, 14:45
and yet i have a bike and you don't have one ?

haha - Touché

The Beast
5th January 2006, 15:11
Sorry, I screwed up, I meant minimum wheel BASE
I feel like a right dick:yeah:
But yet again, the choppers are longer than a scooter anyway...

for me it's not about length, it's about ride height...

at least you can see a scooter in traffic... mini choppers are well too low.

skidMark
5th January 2006, 18:31
im tempted to chuck it an airbag but they are $595 US dollars for the kit :(

http://www.airbagit-store.com/product.asp?returnURL=default.asp&ID=93571

pretty mean lol

Mr. Peanut
5th January 2006, 18:38
Think about it streetfighter headlights street tyres could be a laugh :yeah:
Pit bikes are loads of fun, I dont understand the appeal of minichoppers compared to pit bikes or those racing mini bikes!?! :weird: same price! Some people have no taste. :no:

skidMark
5th January 2006, 18:40
Think about it streetfighter headlights street tyres could be a laugh :yeah:
Pit bikes are loads of fun, I dont understand the appeal of minichoppers compared to pit bikes or those racing mini bikes!?! :weird: same price! Some people have no taste. :no:

lol look at my profile pic thats my mini motard :P:stupid:

skidMark
5th January 2006, 19:05
Ive spoken to a couple of guys at the LTSA...the LTSA wants to wipe out the loop hole for mini choppers so they can get rid of them, maybe have a rear min suspension height but what i think they will go with is that the drivers head must be a certain height when sitting down.

They are really dangerous, i saw the file belonging to a 4wd who reversed over one and drove off...didnt even know they had done it.

Its their height; they are just too low.

what if your a short ass cus ive seen dwarfs riding them lol

and the like 6 foot 5 people will be legal no fair lol

The Beast
5th January 2006, 19:11
im tempted to chuck it an airbag but they are $595 US dollars for the kit

Why would you waste your money?
You said somewhere you payed just under 700 smackers for it and that kit is about $850.

Something does need to be done, somebody is going to get killed.
There's no "if's" or "buts".

They even come with a sticker on them saying "For offroad use only"

skidMark
5th January 2006, 19:15
Why would you waste your money?
You said somewhere you payed just under 700 smackers for it and that kit is about $850.

Something does need to be done, somebody is going to get killed.
There's no "if's" or "buts".

They even come with a sticker on them saying "For offroad use only"

yeah and the importers of them just wack some lights on and go see road legal :weird:

Sorry mark but they're toys... they shouldn't be on the road.

skidMark
5th January 2006, 19:17
They will make it so they are illegal. That is their aim....

what ever happened to freedom of choice...ugh turning into america everyone ends up controlled and lawed to death

The Beast
5th January 2006, 19:19
It's not actually that easy. Some of the places won't even go near them.
Out of every one of the choppers we have sold (about 10 in total, now concentrate on Minimotos) we told the customers that they can be registered but we aren't going to do it and it's nothing to do with us. Most of the decent ones actually come standard from the factory with lights.

Yes I do realise that other businesses register the choppers before they sell them, but really they are just toys to thrash around on. I don't think you would see someone registering a Peewee 50 if you put lights on it.

Anyway everybody is entitled to their own opinion...

The Beast
5th January 2006, 19:21
Sorry mark but they're toys... they shouldn't be on the road.
I completely agree

skidMark
5th January 2006, 19:23
I completely agree

mines not on the road it's in pieces all over the garage being rebuilt :rofl:

they seem to require being stripped down to have the frames cracks fixed often so i figured screw it and am building a new frame at the moment ;)

The Beast
5th January 2006, 19:28
And I assume you are going to be putting it back on the road after you've re-built it? If the loophole is still there. Just curious, when it was on the road, did any cops see you? If they did I'm just wondering the reaction... Some of them are impressed by them but others get pretty pissed off.

skidMark
5th January 2006, 20:00
ive been pulled over once on it because the cop ddn't know the laws on them but thats all it's still regoed so it's all good

Ixion
5th January 2006, 20:05
I disliked 'em at first (as I dislike most innovations !) but I've gooten to accept them. Chacum a son gout, they're not for me , but so long as the riders are sensible I don't see why they shouldn't be there. M'self, I'd stick some sort of flag on 'em, but as someone said they're no lower than a kid on a tricycle - and indeed I've seen some sports cars where the drivers head isn't much higher. Live and let live I say.

The Beast
5th January 2006, 20:07
Yeah fair enough, as I said before, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Waylander
6th January 2006, 10:37
ugh turning into america everyone ends up controlled and lawed to death
BAHAHAHAHA!!!! Sorry man but it's much worse here than in the states.

skidMark
6th January 2006, 20:11
BAHAHAHAHA!!!! Sorry man but it's much worse here than in the states.

ahhhhh jumps out 3rd story plate glass window ...im free....oh you need my passport to catch the plane...ill have to go back and get it .....:argh:

:done:

Swoop
13th January 2006, 19:55
We used to hire out FA 50s 15 yrs or so ago,whole groups of people would hire them and they'd race around the place with the horns going,so I disconnected the horns.Lot's of them had obviously never ridden a bike before,and the only protective gear they had was the poorly fitting helmet we supplied.
So you taught them how to ride them first, to prevent injuries???

Motu
13th January 2006, 20:33
Huh? Take their money and tell then to be back by 5.00pm was all they needed.

Jackrat
14th January 2006, 06:22
Seems to me that a lot of the dirt heaped on these things is pretty much the same as that put on bikers in general,an by the same type of people too.
Poor visibility,,bah,I can see them no worrys,,people will die,,hey that's just bloody stupid,tell me how many people have died on these things so far this summer,compered to how many have died on regular motorcycles,hell there's more reason to ban you from the roads.
People that live in glass houses huh.:rolleyes:

Swoop
14th January 2006, 13:34
Ridin' down my road and see a plainclothes copcar with lights flashing....
Shit - whatt'd I do? They had pulled over a minibike and the "D" was having words with the 4 boys around it. He had the ticket book out ready, but I guess it might be difficult writing down the rego # since it didn't have one!:yeah:
I guess we'll be seeing more of this happening.

Didn't Scumdog mention that there were new rules getting applied to these bikes soon?

SVrunner
16th January 2006, 14:06
Xmas day saw some kids in their new santa machine choopers.
Everyone will hell & howl about right & wrong until something goes wrong, then blame everyone else but the idiot on a mini bike.
Best place for them is Mt Wellington kart race track.

The Beast
16th January 2006, 19:52
There is a difference between minimoto's or Pocket Bikes, than a mini chopper. They are nothing like eachother, too many people get them mixed up, and give the racers who take the bikes no where near the road a bad name.

DirtMad
30th January 2006, 14:28
Prediction for 2006: people will be killed riding minimotos on the road; there will be outrage; they will be banned.

I have had this exact same prediction for a while now too. Its just a matter of time... :Police:

simonantz
1st March 2006, 23:45
My son bought one of these toys.......yep it should have been from the $2. shop,need I say more...BAD NEWS !!:ar15: One good thing I must say,they dont spend much time mobile....which has to be good for the health:doctor:

scumdog
1st March 2006, 23:52
How many people HAVE been injure/killed on them??? Too many chicken-littles here methinks.
They'll soon go the way of chatter-rings and 8-track stereos, just a fad, just a fad...

ZeroIndex
2nd March 2006, 00:06
I want to make a DriveSafe advert of SH1 in Taupo (or something like that for example), teenager with jandels, plastic german helmet (cause that's about as good as it is), t-shirt and shorts. Riding along, goes through a Give Way sign without looking, and then BLAM!!!!!! gets hit by a Semi at 70KM/H, fades to black, white writing "No one likes mini-choppers, so stay off them" or something like that...

That's if it's a motorbike helmet at all... I've seen them being ridden with those skateboarder helmets!

Waylander
4th March 2006, 10:58
That's if it's a motorbike helmet at all...
Or even if they bother with the helmet at all.

JimO
4th March 2006, 16:54
i bought one for my boys its a 110 cc blue fat boy choppa and i like riding it and they love riding it BUT not on the road i trailor it to a large carpark with a larger flat grass park next to it where they can learn the basics of motorcycle controll and balance and it cost a lot less than anyother type of bike that would be suitable. I learned in 1972 on a Deltex Rockhopper which was a lot like the small honda with the high handlebars and havnt forgotten the fun i had and that love of mototcycles has carried on to this day

DirtMad
4th March 2006, 17:28
that sounds awesome JJ :cool: thats how they SHOULD be used...

sKilled
7th June 2006, 12:37
I thought they were funny at first. But then the German side of me started listing advantages and disadvantages. Cool factor was the only advantage. And I just want a set of motorised wheels for getting to and from Uni, so I kept looking and am now quite interested in a MadAss from Sachs. Good build quality, 50cc (no need to spend extra money that I won't have on a bike licence), cheap as chips on fuel, good ride height (needed as I am 6ft6) and will carry my weight - max load capacity for em is 280kg! I with my 114kg would probably screw up the suspension on a mini-chopper just by sitting on it.

sKilled
7th June 2006, 12:38
Oh,and I forgot to mention, I will get riding instructions/lessons from a mate of mine that has been on two wheels almost as long as on two legs.

Fishy
7th June 2006, 14:11
That's if it's a motorbike helmet at all... I've seen them being ridden with those skateboarder helmets!

And baseball caps....sideways.

granma2
9th June 2006, 21:41
Hi guys,
I have seen the results of a minichopper vs car and it was an ugly site. The bike had been hit in the rear, right where the rider was sitting...messy.

These bikes must be taken off the road.....but our stupid law makers will not ever get a brain....(take the import of pitbull dogs as an example)Do they ever listen to the people who know about these things..NOOOOO!

Us real bikers know the importance of using the correct gear and bike for the right situations.

Please anyone who is reading this site....minichoppers ARE NOT minimoto's.
Minimoto's or pocketbikes, are for the race track only. They are a cheap and fun way to enjoy racing a bike by both big kids (adults) and smaller kids.

My grandchildren are 4yrs and 2yrs old and I have already been teaching them safety and careful riding habits. They are not able to ride on a track yet as they cant hold the minimoto up, but they are allowed in the long driveway under my strict supervision. Soon they will be challenging me the track and only on the track.

granma.

The Beast
9th June 2006, 21:44
....minichoppers ARE NOT minimoto's.

I'm sure I've said that before...:yes: :rockon:

ZeroIndex
9th June 2006, 23:47
Hi guys,
I have seen the results of a minichopper vs car and it was an ugly site. The bike had been hit in the rear, right where the rider was sitting...messy.

These bikes must be taken off the road.....but our stupid law makers will not ever get a brain....(take the import of pitbull dogs as an example)Do they ever listen to the people who know about these things..NOOOOO!

Us real bikers know the importance of using the correct gear and bike for the right situations.

Please anyone who is reading this site....minichoppers ARE NOT minimoto's.
Minimoto's or pocketbikes, are for the race track only. They are a cheap and fun way to enjoy racing a bike by both big kids (adults) and smaller kids.

My grandchildren are 4yrs and 2yrs old and I have already been teaching them safety and careful riding habits. They are not able to ride on a track yet as they cant hold the minimoto up, but they are allowed in the long driveway under my strict supervision. Soon they will be challenging me the track and only on the track.

granma.
if you see anyone on a minichopper, you have my permission to kick them over :yes: the other use for pocketbikes is when at Pukekohe, to commute from one side of the pits to the other (with camera in bag) :)

Waylander
10th June 2006, 18:51
if you see anyone on a minichopper, you have my permission to kick them over
Oh well now that I have your permission:nya: