PDA

View Full Version : Drivers hit 200km/h on highway.

Dafe
6th January 2006, 21:08
Who would do such a thing??? Here's the extract from a local internet page.
The penalties look reasonable.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10362588

Drivers hit 200km/h on highway

Dunedin police are appealing for public help to target speedsters on the city's Southern Motorway, after drivers have been nabbed travelling at more than 200km/h.

"If we find there's a car we're getting multiple calls about, we can go and target the offenders," Southern Highway Patrol head Senior Sergeant Andrew Burns said yesterday.

He was speaking a day after a 16-year-old youth was arrested for travelling at 209km/h on the motorway.

The teenager, who had a 16-year-old female passenger, was driving his parents' car, a late-model BMW with a V8 engine, on roads slick with light rain.

"It's just patently dangerous ... it's mind-boggling a 16-year-old driving a car like that," Mr Burns said.

The youth was charged with driving at a dangerous speed, which has a maximum penalty of three months' prison, a $4500 fine and a mandatory disqualification for six months.

He was referred to Youth Aid as a starting point, but the penalty he could face was "very similar" to that an adult would, said Mr Burns.

Police are unable to impound vehicles for excessive speed.

A few months ago, two cars were spotted racing on the motorway at an "absolutely insane" 230km/h in peak traffic.

The vehicles were identified as belonging to a Christchurch company, but it had not supplied details of the drivers, and was being charged for not supplying details, which carried a maximum fine of $10,000, Mr Burns said.

"That's two travelling over 200km/h that we've found in two months, so there will be others we haven't had people there for.

"We're going to be more creative in how we police that area, and we have one or two options up our sleeves," he said.

"The biggest problem is we can't be there 24-7; we can't task people to look after a 3km or 5km stretch of highway and nowhere else.

"The thing that concerns us is at those sort of speeds, if something goes wrong your chances of survival are negligible."

- OTAGO DAILY TIMES

merv
6th January 2006, 21:29
Yeah you're not allowed to go over 100 so who would do that!!!

froggyfrenchman
6th January 2006, 21:35
*whistles and backs out of the room*
Thats insane speed, bet it wouldnt even be fun...

loosebruce
6th January 2006, 22:15
Wonder what they say when they get the speed camera photo's back and there's a "______" GSXR1000 on the back wheel at well over 200kph, not me of course, never would i be so irresponible (sp) never.

ManDownUnder
6th January 2006, 22:22
Yeah you're not allowed to go over 100 so who would do that!!!

you DO mean in 1st gear... right?!?

Dafe
6th January 2006, 22:25
Lucky for me - I'm safe! My bike doesn't do 200. I'd fall short by about 30kph. Unless I did the unthinkable and was really evil and shifted into second gear!:devil2:

But we are responsible riders here....

XTC
7th January 2006, 07:33
Mmmm Maybe we need a horsepower limit for new drivers?? A horsepower limit for new riders would be good also. Australia has it's new lams system that allows new riders to ride bikes over 250cc but not exceeding a certain HP figure. The XT600 and 660 are an approved learner motorcycle in Australia.

TonyB
7th January 2006, 07:40
Mmmm Maybe we need a horsepower limit for new drivers?? A horsepower limit for new riders would be good also. Australia has it's new lams system that allows new riders to ride bikes over 250cc but not exceeding a certain HP figure. The XT600 and 660 are an approved learner motorcycle in Australia.
I knew that some OZ states allow a 'learners' version of the Hyosung 650 as a learners bike. It's resricted somehow. Surely the XT's would have to be restricted as well?

XTC
7th January 2006, 07:48
I knew that some OZ states allow a 'learners' version of the Hyosung 650 as a learners bike. It's resricted somehow. Surely the XT's would have to be restricted as well?
When they only put out 37KW there is no more restriction needed.
Here's the list http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/motorcycleridertrainingscheme/motorcyclesnoviceriders.html

TonyB
7th January 2006, 07:52
When they only put out 37KW there is no more restriction needed.
I remember riding an early Pro-Link XR500 when I was on my learners (I had an RZ250). The XR seemed pretty bloody quick... and a bit like riding a horse. Does the XTC have similar grunt and height?

XTC
7th January 2006, 07:57
I remember riding an early Pro-Link XR500 when I was on my learners (I had an RZ250). The XR seemed pretty bloody quick... and a bit like riding a horse. Does the XTC have similar grunt and height?
Not sure whether XTC has similar Grunt ;) I know he hasn't got the height, But the XT sure does:rofl:

TonyB
8th January 2006, 07:06
Not sure whether XTC has similar Grunt ;) I know he hasn't got the height, But the XT sure does:rofl:Arrg! Bloody typos! :slap: I meant the XT of course, as in the bike.