PDA

View Full Version : This newshound loses his newshound job!

Bob
8th January 2006, 11:01
Not here... but my role as newshound for Used Bike Guide magazine has gone. After 8 years of providing the title with it's news content (the stuff you get to see here, plus other stuff that really wouldn't be of interest), a change of management and budget cuts has seen me cut as well. So all they'll be using are manufacturer press releases and the odd thing from lobbying groups. So none of the interesting little oddities etc.

Not sure if I have any future with the title at all, as it sounds like they're going to be going very "in-house" (and it sounds like they're going to be 'sharing' stuff with other titles from the same stable - which to my mind is doing their public a disservice).

However, I will be carrying on coming up with the news in here. Thankfully, the above was only a part-time job!

Still pissed off though...

... sorry for breaking my own forum rules here (this is hardly general biking news, is it?), but just needed to let off a little steam... and if I can't do it here, where can I?

White trash
8th January 2006, 11:13
That sure does suck Bob. You're obviously bloody good at it and enjoy it immensly.

Start looking for somewhere else that appreciates your hard work a little better and put the bastards out of business.

onearmedbandit
8th January 2006, 11:53
Sorry to hear that Bob. I love reading your posts, sometimes over here it takes a while for bike news to filter down. Glad to hear that we will still be kept informed in the manner we are used to.

TonyB
8th January 2006, 11:59
Thats shitty Bob! As WT says, line up another mag and help make your old employers life miserable!

Pathos
8th January 2006, 13:48
Bad Luck mate, you do a great job round here.

Hopefully its for the better, maybe your dream job is just around the corner with better hours and pay :woohoo:

Wonko
8th January 2006, 14:18
Bad luck that, you always seem to come up with good tibits of news for on here. Pity the managment can't see this.

Zed
8th January 2006, 16:08
Sorry to read this Bob, 8 years is reasonably long service too. New management, budget cuts, redundancies...all too common nowadays it seems. I hope they will come to realise how much they miss you! ;)

riffer
8th January 2006, 19:44
Yeah, what Jimmy said.

Hope you get a new job fast and have some fun with the redundancy money ...

In the meantime, keep up with the news. It's much appreciated.

Bob
9th January 2006, 02:07
Thanks for the support, one and all.

As I said, thankfully it isn't the "Day Job" - but I've been writing the news for them for 8 years, as well as features and the odd road and product test, so it is a bit of a blow. News, road and product tests will certainly be out now.

So seeing if I can do some feature work for them. But I reckon it is doubtful.

Stupid thing is? Comment was "We all get the same press releases"... I reckon 80+% of the stuff I put up here does NOT come from press releases.

But I'll still put it up here. I've got such a tidy little system running that it would be a shame to stop finding this stuff. Sadly, I just won't get paid for it any longer...

Lou Girardin
10th January 2006, 11:25
Corporates, doncha love 'em. They piss off customers to save a pittance.

WRT
10th January 2006, 12:03
Tis a fair call to post in here, its definately KB related news. Sorry to hear about your employers actions, but rest assured that your work here on KB is appreciated, hell, even relied on. Was talking with some friends regarding bikes running at Bonneville just last weekend actually, and they were asking if I wanted to read up on the latest Bonneville newsletter to catch up on all the record attempts by bikes there. My comment was that if it was newsworthy, then I would have already heard about it from a guy that keeps us all up to date on KB!

I did still read the newsletter tho, mostly to catch up on the four wheeled side of things as well. Anyway, we cant pay ya in anything other than rep points, but thanks for your contributions here and all the best for finding a suitable replacement for your role with the used bike guide.