PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a turbo. Time to get serious

Drew
15th January 2006, 09:15
Ok, it's time I got off my chuff, stopped talking about it, and finally did it.
The FZR is in dire need of more poke, so it's getting a puffer.
So I am hereby putting the call out, for someone with a turbo lying around, to part with it cheep. I'm not after anything huge, the big one from a twin turbo subaru would be ideal. Or summat of similar proportion. Even one from an ancient mitsubishi sigma would be good.
I'm gonna leave the old girl carburated to save hassles, but in the interest of grip, someone with a seventeeen inch rear wheel in need of a new home should also hear my call. The eighteen has a limited number tyre coices, and even fewer that are any good.
I dont expect anything for free, but what the car tuning outfits want for them is a joke. (fuckin cage fixers!)
Cheers to anyone with connections, and or bits:not:

Sniper
15th January 2006, 09:20
All the best mate. You should hook up with Death_INC, he has done a few things with Turbo's

NordieBoy
15th January 2006, 09:22
A guy at the Mot Drags yesterday had turbo'd his Katana :)
Also a supercharged Kawkka.

:corn:

Drew
15th January 2006, 09:29
All the best mate. You should hook up with Death_INC, he has done a few things with Turbo's

I already cornered him at a party a while ago, squeezed some info out of him. I've got most of the info i need, and a general plan of attack, luckily my bike has got space every where, so I shouldn't have to move a hell of a lot around, not even the radiator gets in the way!:2thumbsup

Posh Tourer :P
15th January 2006, 09:37
Nordie, are they all scalically challenged at these meets???

slopster
15th January 2006, 10:15
I would have thought that turboing through a carby would be more trouble than its worth. Surely it cant be to hard to make a basic fuel injection system.

froggyfrenchman
15th January 2006, 10:20
I would have thought that turboing through a carby would be more trouble than its worth. Surely it cant be to hard to make a basic fuel injection system.

As long as the increased air flow dosnt push the slides right to the top, it shouldnt be too much of a prob to sort

Coyote
15th January 2006, 10:26
Can you do a EFI system and turbo fairly cheap? I've got a TF185 Farm Bike to try this sorta stuff on. Going to see about making a D.I.Y Nitrous Figger kit for it

NordieBoy
15th January 2006, 10:42
Nordie, are they all scalically challenged at these meets???

Not all of them...

Just most...

Sniper
15th January 2006, 10:52
That guy on 123 looks a errr bit big.

Posh Tourer :P
15th January 2006, 11:08
Why not just remove the tailpeice and attach a plank of wood??

Drew
15th January 2006, 18:52
Surely it cant be to hard to make a basic fuel injection system.
HUH? Even mapping fuel injection to every thousand revs, is pretty serious stuff, and probably likely to cause a loss in power.
Easy as pie to box the carbs completely. That way, the carbs still work exactly as intended, no matter how much boost you feed them. Meaning that because the preasure outside the carbs is equal to the inside, the slides cant be forced open, and the fuel wont be pushed straight out the over flow pipes.
My bike already has a fuel pump, so the gas cant be pushed back out that way either. (said pump will need to upgraded though.)

speedpro
15th January 2006, 19:05
Tjebbe Bruin did a blow through turbo on an old XS1100 motor of mine that was in his speedway sidecar. The carbs weren't boxed in but attention was paid to fuel supply and float bowl breathing as you've mentioned. Death will have mentioned it - don't get carried away with the boost. You "will" kill it. You need to figure what horsepower you want to make, keeping in mind how much money that may cost, and get the best size turbo to achieve that. There have been constant improvements in turbo design so don't get too old a turbo.

madboy
15th January 2006, 19:38
Why don't you stop dicking about and trade your thing on a K6 thou? You should get the deposit on the indicator switch by trading the fizzer, and a nice finance company would be happy to take a major proportion of your income for eternity to pay the balance. At least then you get to ride the bike (well, on payday anyway)...

riffer
16th January 2006, 08:59
Said the man with no children to feed... :bash:

WRT
16th January 2006, 09:19
Sounds like a good project to me - good luck with it all. Any chance you might be able to start up a tread on it and keep us posted on progress? Couple of piccies, bit of a write up, that sort of thing? Would be very interested to see how you get on, and how you overcome any problems you encounter.

Also be a handy reference for anyone following along a similar path.

DEATH_INC.
16th January 2006, 09:31
Dude,just go to a wrecker who does import car stuff and you'll get one fairly cheap, see if you can score one off a 1200 starlet.or something.
Efi isn't easy to make or set up, it is the shiz but a lot of money and hassle...

mops
19th January 2006, 12:33
I'd fuel inject it with a nice set of hayabuse throttle bodies (US$60 on ebay).ecu would be megasquirt 2 (www.megasquirt.info) (~US$300). I build one of those for my e30 bmw :)

without proper ECU engine is going to die either because of the knock OR melt. you need to adjust air/fuel mixture very precisely with turbo, other wise = big bang!. Aswell, I'm not too sure what compression ratio do you run, but for turbo you want sometihing along lines of 8:1 to 9.5:1 otherwise you wont be able to run any more than 2 psi of boost wihout knocking.

you engine block must be made of iron, alloy ones are going to strip head studs thread at first boost arrempt.

you need a way to control ignition, i.e. to retard it under boost.

seriously...

just EFI conversion with large ITB's (like hayabusa) would incerase your power, and you dont have the turbo lag and stuff... i would do that first anyways... if still not enought then turbo that.

large twin turbo legacy turbo would support nearly 300hp... too big for you and would spool too late.you should get something like 20% bigger than your intended HP.

bottom line: you wont make reliable turbo engine out of a bike engine wihout serious internal work. on your place i would go EFI, port a head maybe, still not enough ? nitrous. cheapest option would be to sell your bike and buy faster. period.

I have been involved in building several 'high performance' very custom vehicles and i have an idea how much it costs and what to expect. you can have only two of these three - cheap, power, reliability)

Aiolos
19th January 2006, 18:13
you engine block must be made of iron, alloy ones are going to strip head studs thread at first boost arrempt.

Bollocks.

10 characters

EZAS
19th January 2006, 18:30
My answer to every power option.
DROP A ROTARY IN IT. 12A 6Port should be fine or a 10APP. Very progressive power curve and a very light engine (for a 1000cc).

Patch
19th January 2006, 19:43
Sounds like a good project to me - good luck with it all. Any chance you might be able to start up a tread on it and keep us posted on progress? Couple of piccies, bit of a write up, that sort of thing? Would be very interested to see how you get on, and how you overcome any problems you encounter.

Also be a handy reference for anyone following along a similar path.

Yes please start a thread, I for one would be very interested in how you go. Would be keen to do it to mine, when time allows.

more power . . . more power

Drew
22nd January 2006, 11:05
Why don't you stop dicking about and trade your thing on a K6 thou? You should get the deposit on the indicator switch by trading the fizzer, and a nice finance company would be happy to take a major proportion of your income for eternity to pay the balance. At least then you get to ride the bike (well, on payday anyway)...
How is it your rep is so high, when your obviously a reciever of swollen goods?:Pokey:
I dont need a k6 thou to make you look like an old woman, on the road or the track.:bash:
Thanks for pointing out to all the readers that my bike is worth fuck all, makes them see that even without a $15k ZX636 you can still be fairly rapid.:kick:

Drew
22nd January 2006, 11:20
I'd fuel inject it with a nice set of hayabuse throttle bodies (US$60 on ebay).ecu would be megasquirt 2 (www.megasquirt.info) (~US$300). I build one of those for my e30 bmw :)

without proper ECU engine is going to die either because of the knock OR melt. you need to adjust air/fuel mixture very precisely with turbo, other wise = big bang!. Aswell, I'm not too sure what compression ratio do you run, but for turbo you want sometihing along lines of 8:1 to 9.5:1 otherwise you wont be able to run any more than 2 psi of boost wihout knocking.

seriously...

just EFI conversion with large ITB's (like hayabusa) would incerase your power, and you dont have the turbo lag and stuff... i would do that first anyways... if still not enought then turbo that.

large twin turbo legacy turbo would support nearly 300hp... too big for you and would spool too late.you should get something like 20% bigger than your intended HP.

bottom line: you wont make reliable turbo engine out of a bike engine wihout serious internal work. on your place i would go EFI, port a head maybe, still not enough ? nitrous. cheapest option would be to sell your bike and buy faster. period.

OK, here goes, CRAP! The big turbo off a Legacy, is still relitively small, the turbo off a Starlet is friggin tiny.
Reason for the bigger one is that a bike revs an extra 5000rpm on the starlet, which means that it would stop making extra power before i get to the business end of the tacho.
The alloy block, barrels, and head will be fine to run the 6 or 7 psi boost I desire. I will be fitting an alluminium base gasket to lower the compression, so no worries there.
Timing is a bit trickier, but a simple boost switch is all that is required to overcome the issue, shit, if i want i can run a linkage from the waste gate actuator to the timing pick up plate if I want to get super simple about it. Or, water inject it and flag backing the timing off at all.
This is not going to be a 300bhp dragster, I'll be completely honest, the goal is to be able to hoist the front wheel, off the throtle at 120kmh.

loosebruce
22nd January 2006, 14:07
Yea on ya Drew, keep it RAT though mate, thing will have no class otherwise. I got the original TL fairings painted black and put back on, shit the thing looks almost respectable now, it's sad really.
I know exactly what ya after ion regards to power and yeah you could buy a faster bike but that would take the fun out of it, and with any turbo bike no matter how fast it is, boost is addictive.

Drew
22nd January 2006, 14:59
...the fairings are just about ready to go back on now. :banana: I do prefer to ride a tidy bike, but at the end of the day, most the people I ride with only see the tail light and exhaust. Eh deano:Pokey:

aff-man
22nd January 2006, 15:02
sounds like a cracker of a project. Keep us posted with pics if possible please..

Awesome stuff.

Drew
22nd January 2006, 15:10
sounds like a cracker of a project. Keep us posted with pics if possible please..

Awesome stuff.
Pictures will be posted. As soon as I get a turbo, the head and barrels will come off and the process begins. Photos will begin with a before shot and some dismanteling shots

DEATH_INC.
22nd January 2006, 21:26

seriously...

I have been involved in building several 'high performance' very custom vehicles and i have an idea how much it costs and what to expect. you can have only two of these three - cheap, power, reliability)

Where the f**k did you dredge up this shite?????:no: Nearly everything in this is rubbish!!!!
The megasquirt idea's not bad though (I'd forgotten about those...) but I've still yet to hear of one running properly on a bike.

Drew
23rd January 2006, 11:49
Where the f**k did you dredge up this shite?????:no: Nearly everything in this is rubbish!!!!
The megasquirt idea's not bad though (I'd forgotten about those...) but I've still yet to hear of one running properly on a bike.
Cheers for that bro. I tried to reply to the comments tactfully, but you put it moocho gooderer.

I'll take this opertunity to re-establish the call. Please can people ask around they cager buddies for a turbo. Dont worry about what it's off. Just post what you have found, and we'll go from there. Cheers to all. I'll be visiting some wreakers this week, and hopefully make a start. My clutch has begun to give up, (possibly due to wheelies, but you cant prove that!) He he he.
So I will be getting my FJ1200 going and taking the FIZZER to bits before I get the turbo anyway.

madboy
23rd January 2006, 12:34
How is it your rep is so high, when your obviously a reciever of swollen goods?:Pokey:
I dont need a k6 thou to make you look like an old woman, on the road or the track.:bash:
Thanks for pointing out to all the readers that my bike is worth fuck all, makes them see that even without a $15k ZX636 you can still be fairly rapid.:kick:I'm hoping you're taking the piss there Drew, else I suspect someone else is worried about their own swollen goods.

WRT
23rd January 2006, 12:50
bottom line: you wont make reliable turbo engine out of a bike engine wihout serious internal work.

Do I have to point you guys to this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=408069&postcount=29) again? Ok, he has done some internals, but (and I quote) "a surprising amount is stock" - and he's getting 306kw!! With reliablity. Way more than what you are looking for (altho I reckon he will be well able to hoist the front off throttle at 120kph . . . )

Drew
23rd January 2006, 13:56
I suspect someone else is worried about their own swollen goods.
What the hell does that mean? Anyhoo, of course I'm taking the piss. Does anyone take you seriously?

madboy
23rd January 2006, 18:02
Well my fragile ego was getting a little worried there that you might have been having a serious dig, and well... you know how I am when I'm not hidden away behind my leathers and dark visor... I'm just a frightened little boy really... with a pretty bike I can't ride.

Remind me to show you the latest stickers when we next meet, you might appreciate them :devil2:

cowpoos
23rd January 2006, 23:06
http://www.bigccracing.co.uk/welcome.asp?page=21

aff-man
24th January 2006, 08:26
was just wondering. You might be able to pick up a cheap one from a Pick-a-part or something similar if yoy have one??

Monsterbishi
24th January 2006, 08:59
There's a few Mitsu turbo's out there that will suit a 750, the first that springs to mind is one off a E84A Galant VR4, that's the 2.0L v6 twin-turbo model, so each turbo is running off 1000cc's and even then, they are too small for the motor, running out of puff at 5500rpm, so on a 750, one of those (It's called a TD-025) would spool up nice and quick, and hold boost all the way to redline.

Alternately, you could find one of the Japanese Kei class cars, with their 660cc turbo motors and flog the turbo off one of those.

I wouldn't bother using a turbo off a old Sigma either, they are a single bearing, oil cooled only, piece of crap. Their exhaust housings are too big, and their compressor wheels too small, on your bike, it would just lag until about 8000rpm then only spool up about 5-7psi.

Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of turbo's on bikes, the last thing you want is to have to deal with lag coming out of a corner!

Drew
26th January 2006, 16:29
There's a few Mitsu turbo's out there that will suit a 750, the first that springs to mind is one off a E84A Galant VR4, that's the 2.0L v6 twin-turbo model, so each turbo is running off 1000cc's and even then, they are too small for the motor, running out of puff at 5500rpm, so on a 750, one of those (It's called a TD-025) would spool up nice and quick, and hold boost all the way to redline.

Having said that, I'm not a huge fan of turbo's on bikes, the last thing you want is to have to deal with lag coming out of a corner!
If the turbo is too small to keep up with 1000cc at 5500rpm, it wont cope with 750cc at 1100rpm.
With the lag your talking about, dial on sooner with the rear brake still on a bit. The drivers of the first Audi Quatro turbo race cars had to do it this way for years. Plus, anti lag aint that hard to build. An injector and spark plug take care of it nicely.