PDA

View Full Version : Driver Education

zadok
20th January 2006, 10:49
Just read this interesting article about driver ecucation reducing the number of rider deaths and casualties in the the London area.
Advertising is aimed at car drivers as well, to give them more awareness, which I think is crucial. Using special lanes is a good idea as well IMO.

Driver Education Program Helps London Motorcyclists

January 19, 2006 - (Courtesy of Association des Constructeurs Européens
de Motocycles, Edited by webBikeWorld) Motorcycling in London has grown dramatically from about 62,000 motorcycles owned by Londoners in 1995 to over 100,000 today. However, as the numbers of motorcyclists grew in London, the number of crashes and casualties also rose. To reverse this trend and reinforce
the role of powered two wheeled vehicles (PTWs) in London’s transport mix, specific targets for reducing motorcycling casualties were fixed.

Analysis of the data showed that many of the accidents involved cars and lorries crossing the path of the motorcyclist. Changing the behavior of car drivers became as important as educating motorcyclists how to avoid crashes. To this end, Transport for London commissioned an innovative series of advertisements showing simulated crashes as a way of bringing drivers’ attention to the problem
of “not seeing” the motorcyclist. At the same time, the assessment program ‘Bikesafe’ was introduced, in which qualified police riders assess motorcyclists on roads and advise them how to ride more safely.

In addition, pilot schemes are currently running with motorcycles sharing some bus lanes and advanced stop lines that had been initially introduced for cyclists. Motorcycle casualties in London dropped more than 30% as a result of the safety measures introduced, the number of killed and seriously injured motorcyclists in
London fell from 1,286 in 2001 to 895 in 2004 (-30%).

Since many motorcycle accidents in the United States are also caused by automobile and other vehicle drivers not "seeing" the motorcyclist, these tactics may have implications for us also.

yungatart
20th January 2006, 10:53
I've said for a long time, that we don't teach people to drive/ride. We teach them to get a licence. Oh for some driver education here-it would be far more effective in lowering the road toll and injury rate than the punitive measures currently in place.

MSTRS
20th January 2006, 13:15
Reducing the negative stats is more down to education, rather than the Ironfist - BUT I seriously doubt that car drivers were improved. Rather, motorcyclists that had no sense of the dangers (they are out there), were suddenly taking more notice and riding defensively??

Lou Girardin
20th January 2006, 14:09
I think a big factor in London was the huge increase in bike riders after congestion charging was introduced. They simply became more visible.

Bob
21st January 2006, 01:09
As I live in London, think I'm primed to give a little more info:

to quote Zadok
"Driver Education Program Helps London Motorcyclists

To this end, Transport for London commissioned an innovative series of advertisements showing simulated crashes as a way of bringing drivers’ attention to the problem"

The THINK! campaign has been successful - but has been subject to criticism, as it was placing an onus on both sides to look out for each other (with the attendant attitude of "Well HE should have been looking for ME".

The following is a news item I reported on my UK version of this forum:

"A new THINK! road safety TV, radio and six-sheet poster campaign will be launched on January 30, 2006.

Feedback from the Motorcycle Industry Association, the British Motorcyclists’ Federation and the Motorcycle Action Group suggests that encouraging riders and drivers to ‘look out for each other’ reinforces the blame culture that exists between the two groups. To overcome this, the new campaign targets drivers and riders separately with specific safety messages

The TV advert encourages urban car drivers to look longer for bikes by showing a typical accident at a T-junction – and then replaying the incident and showing how the crash could be avoided if the driver looked for longer. The radio advertisement will act as an "in-car reinforcement" of the TV ad.

The third element is a six-sheet poster campaign using sites adjacent to petrol stations. The posters remind bikers to make sure they are seen."

This does rather support Lou's view that improvements came from riders being more defensive/aware of potential dangers around them.

At the same time, the assessment program ‘Bikesafe’ was introduced, in which qualified police riders assess motorcyclists on roads and advise them how to ride more safely.

Bikesafe is lauded as a real success. Sadly, the government can't be asked to fund it, so the scheme was in danger of ending. Fortunately, a sponsor has been found. So it will be around for a while yet.

In addition, pilot schemes are currently running with motorcycles sharing some bus lanes and advanced stop lines that had been initially introduced for cyclists. Motorcycle casualties in London dropped more than 30% as a result of the safety measures introduced, the number of killed and seriously injured motorcyclists in London fell from 1,286 in 2001 to 895 in 2004 (-30%)

Yup, the pilot scheme is a great success. I'm lucky enough to have one of the bus lanes open to bikers on my regular ride to/from work... and it is a godsend. I can ride - and safely - along, without having to filter/lane split with the attendant risk that carries.

HOWEVER - the government still say that there is not sufficient evidence - even though the above figures (which were created by their own Department of Transport) show the reduction in casualties - ti widen bus lane access to all lanes in London. Add the reduction in casualties to the increase in riders and surely this is clear evidence?

So it all sounds positive - but things could be made much better if the government would only take on board the results of their own study!

Oh yeah, another really stupid thing - I ride along in the bus lane until I reach a junction about a mile from work... and once I cross that, the road directrly ahead does not allow me to use the bus lane, even though it is straight on from the road that does!

So I go from riding safely to back in the danger zone again. Where is the sense in that?

zadok
21st January 2006, 10:19
Thanks for that additional info Bob. I don't mean to take over from your reporting job, but I see the odd thing like this that hasn't been posted already.:D

Bob
21st January 2006, 23:37
Thanks for that additional info Bob. I don't mean to take over from your reporting job, but I see the odd thing like this that hasn't been posted already.:D

Please, PLEASE do put things in here if you spot them. I know I come up with about 95% of the items in here... but I'd love to see more content from others - especially if it is an item I've missed!

All I ever say is; don't just cut and paste an article. Using the words exactly as they are is breach of copyright. When I was still newshound for UBG, if I'd just cut and pasted, the magazine WOULD have been sued.

I always like to read, remove the additional pap that the papers love to include (local name is a great example, as then they can call it "local" and justify using it), then report the main facts. I also normally aim for about 100-150 words max, so it is neat, bite sized reads (yes I know I do longer ones, but that is editorial judgement!)