PDA

View Full Version : Bike running kind of rough

swanman
28th January 2006, 19:58
I am getting pissed off with this now.

I have recently cleaned the carbs, and now balanced them. Both jobs went well. Now I find that the bike runs with a lot more zip, but, stutters especially at low revs but midrange too. Not all the time just far too frequently. It feels as if it goes to 3 or even 2 cylinders then catches picks up fine and then does it all again. Electrical problem??

I have changed the plugs today, and checked that all the HT leads are seated correctly etc. Air filter is clean, fuel supply seems fine.

I havent used the bike since new year, and before the bike used to run on 3 cylinders on start up if it wasn't used for a while, then clear after a km or so and then be fine. If this is the same problem it has now turned persistent.

I did leave the bike out in the rain the other day for about 30 mins with the seat and tank off so water could have got in somewhere. But I covered everything with wd40 straight after and it has had plenty of time to dry out since.

Advice??

Scouse
28th January 2006, 20:12
what you may have done cause this sounds like what happend to my bike when itook it to red baron for a service I got me bike back running worst than when i took it in. is pinched the breather tubes that come out of the top of the carbies just try pulling your tank back and up or even take it of and inspect the breathers for signs of pinching then replace the tank being carefull this time not to pinch the breather tubes

swanman
28th January 2006, 20:15
what you may have done cause this sounds like what happend to my bike when itook it to red baron for a service I got me bike back running worst than when i took it in. is pinched the breather tubes that come out of the top of the carbies just try pulling your tank back and up or even take it of and inspect the breathers for signs of pinching then replace the tank being carefull this time not to pinch the breather tubes

Have to look again to find them. ONe per cylinder? Rubber?

Scouse
28th January 2006, 20:17
yup one per carbie

Jackrat
28th January 2006, 20:19
Sounds like a coil breaking down.

TonyB
28th January 2006, 20:28
Hi Swanman. What fuel are you using? If it's like mine you'll find it runs better on 95, better again on 98 and is very happy on race fuel. Might take a tankful to notice a difference.

Mine has had a bad stuttering miss from idle to 3000 rpm for bloody ages. As mentioned above, higher octane fuel seems to settle it down.

Buddha#81
28th January 2006, 20:33
Check your compressions? You may have a cyl down a bit and will give these symptoms.

erik
28th January 2006, 20:57
If it's like the Zeal, it may have one breather tube per pair of carbies (left pair and right pair) for the float bowl at the back, and one tube per pair of carbies for the diaphragm at the front of the carbs (assuming they're CV carbs).

Can't offer any advice though, this stuff is still too confusing for me.

swanman
28th January 2006, 21:22
I thought that about the fuel. So I have just put some 95 in it, but that was only about 10 km ago.

The most annoying thing is that when the bike is on 4 cylinders it has never run so well. I will check the breathers when I find them, but my gut rection is it is electrical in some way, maybe ht lead, coil or ignition box. I hate electrical problems.

Teflon
28th January 2006, 21:33
Mine has had a bad stuttering miss from idle to 3000 rpm for bloody ages. As mentioned above, higher octane fuel seems to settle it down.

FZR thou i had did the same, must be common.

Idrumm
28th January 2006, 22:31
Hi ya mate, had similar problems with my Fzr750, after alot of pissing about eventually found out it was the float levels that needed to be set, also check you rubber boots for cracks, splits etc. did you balance your carbs on the bench or use a vacum guage.

Got a brand new Haynes service repair/repair manual for fzr600,750,1000 87 to 96 mint con, got a good trouble shooting section, with one of these manuals you can nail almost anything.

If interested would be keen to swap for one of your paddock stands.

Cheers Darrell

swanman
28th January 2006, 22:33
Hi ya mate, had similar problems with my Fzr750, after alot of pissing about eventually found out it was the float levels that needed to be set, also check you rubber boots for cracks, splits etc. did you balance your carbs on the bench or use a vacum guage.

Got a brand new Haynes service repair/repair manual for fzr600,750,1000 87 to 96 mint con, got a good trouble shooting section, with one of these manuals you can nail almost anything.

If interested would be keen to swap for one of your paddock stands.

Cheers Darrell

Those manuals are good. I have the one for the yzf600. Very similar.

Balanced the carbs with vacuum guages

Idrumm
28th January 2006, 22:41
Those manuals are good. I have the one for the yzf600. Very similar.

Balanced the carbs with vacuum guages

Tried balancing mine on bench with feeler gauges ok for starting point, ended up using vacum gauges in the end.

swanman
29th January 2006, 15:36
Well. I checked the digital ignition box, cleaned the contacts, checked and oiled the exup cables, checked the spark on each ht lead, gave everything the once over and fuck me it's all working perfectly. I removed a couple of plugs I had put in the fuel overlfow tubes on carbs (which I had put in because fuel had been pissing out of one of them a few weeks ago).
So I don't know what the exact problem was but it has gone whatever it was. I think it may be the overflow tubes being blocked that may have been the problem. But it could have been a loose conntection just as well.
All's well that ends well.
BTW I am an expert now at taking tank, air box, carbs and plugs off.

erik
29th January 2006, 17:45
I removed a couple of plugs I had put in the fuel overlfow tubes on carbs (which I had put in because fuel had been pissing out of one of them a few weeks ago).
Overflow tubes? :scratch:
Sounds like the float bowl breather tubes to me. Maybe one of the floats was stuck open, letting the fuel out the breather before you cleaned the carbs?

Anyway, good to hear it's going well now :niceone: