PDA

View Full Version : Norway looks to introduce motorcycle ambulances

Bob
4th February 2006, 01:54
Norway's largest hospital wants to start using motorcycles as ambulances Officials at the Oslo hospital think that emergency health care personnel can get through traffic more quickly on a motorcycle, and thus reach persons needing help more quickly.

"Motorcycles can often be faster in traffic than cars," said Bjørn Karr, a department head at the hospital.

Karr said he hopes a trial program using specially equipped motorcycles can start in Oslo this summer. The motorcycles, he said, would have advanced first-aid equipment that is used n a conventional ambulance.

This scheme is similar to the current paramedic scheme used in London and has been trialled successfully in other parts of the UK. Wider use of motorcycle paramedics has been proposed, but development of the scheme appears to be moving slowly.

steved
4th February 2006, 02:19
When I read the title I thought, "Christ, I wouldn't want to be on a stretcher strapped to the back of a bike ridden by an ambo", knowing how some of the ambos ride in NZ.

steved
8th February 2006, 15:57
Ahem, umm.. That wouldnt be me though....right???There are a couple of ambos in NZ who ride motorbikes quickly right? It wasn't directly pointed at you, no. :grouphug:

Riff Raff
8th February 2006, 16:41
There are a couple of ambos in NZ who ride motorbikes quickly right? It wasn't directly pointed at you, no. :grouphug:
Well you obviously weren't referring to me then.