PDA

View Full Version : Haybusa-engined machine in 530kmph attempt

Bob
23rd February 2006, 01:23
A Suzuki Hayabusa-engined motorcycle – the “Ack Attack” – will attempt to break the 16-year-old FIM land speed record at South Australia’s Lake Gairdner – a dry salt lake in central South Australia - in early March.

The streamliner, designed by Akatiff and constructed at the Akatiff-owned ACK Technologies (an avionics emporium) in San Jose, is powered by two turbo-charged 1300cc Hayabusa engines producing around 900 horsepower, which are ensconced in chrome moly tubing and a predominantly carbon-fibre skin. The team aim to reach 530kmph.

If Ack Attack sets a new land speed record, the team’s ultimate goal would then be to break the magical 400mph (676.12kmh) barrier. There are only five wheel-driven, piston-engined vehicles that have exceeded 400mph and no motorcycle has approached that speed.

ZeroIndex
23rd February 2006, 02:38
I wonder how much the ticket would be if a police officer happened to be trapping on that "road" hehehe... ...[cop: pull over. biker: piss off, i need to go faster]

ok, that was pretty lame... anyway, if anyone gets video footage of that Ack Attack, please post a link

Sparky
23rd February 2006, 05:22
check this out, its a start

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/ack-attack/ack-index.html

Lazy7
23rd February 2006, 06:26
400miles an hour! geezus.

would need a pretty special bike for that.

imagine the temperatures in the tyres, gearbox, wheelbearings etc. and the wind resistance! once you got over 300mph it would be like you were tied to a house!

Groins_NZ
23rd February 2006, 08:02
Pictures are awesome at the URL posted. Really interesting engineering project (if you're into that sort of thing)!

Wish I had a garage like that.

bugjuice
23rd February 2006, 08:16
they must have modified the gearbox internals, but to me, looks a lot like stock gearing!! And also looks like one turbro to feed both lumps..

good luck to 'em, definitely be interesting..

riffer
23rd February 2006, 08:31
After just finishing "One Good Run", the story of Burt Munro, I've gotten a better understanding of what goes in to setting these records.

Things haven't changed too much, by the look of the pictures. Just the quality of the machinery.

Still, what I'd give to have unfettered use of their lathes and CNC...

I shall follow this story with interest.

ZeroIndex
23rd February 2006, 08:37
HAHAHAHA, it's got TRAINING WHEELS!!! LMAO

riffer
23rd February 2006, 09:11
Ah, think about it dude.

How do you put your feet down in a streamliner when you stop....

kiwifruit
23rd February 2006, 09:41
very impessive
balls of steel would be a must

Mental Trousers
23rd February 2006, 10:54
Even Burt Munro's Indian had trainer wheels. Great looking toys though.

sAsLEX
23rd February 2006, 10:58
After just finishing "One Good Run", the story of Burt Munro, I've gotten a better understanding of what goes in to setting these records.

Good book aye, amazed at some of the stuff he just whipped up in his backyard

Swoop
24th February 2006, 11:00
Woah! Now that's impressive engineering!
Wish them all the best for next month in Oz.:corn:

Fishy
24th February 2006, 11:03
I wonder if that thing could keep up with Dover of his gixxer? surely not!. :bleh:

Coyote
24th February 2006, 11:05
Looks like a bit of fun. Do they need a rider?

Jonty
24th February 2006, 11:31
Ok - what I don't quite understand is how you can call it a motorcycle with two support wheels. Very impressive machine all the same.

motorcycle

n : a motor vehicle with two wheels and a strong frame [syn: bike] v : ride a motorcycle [syn: cycle]

Devil
24th February 2006, 12:14
They're only down when its stopped.

ZeroIndex
1st March 2006, 12:57
Ah, think about it dude.

How do you put your feet down in a streamliner when you stop....

Yeah, I do realise that, I'm just saying... 530KM/h, and the guy still has training wheels... or do comments like this need to be in the humor section?

marty
1st March 2006, 16:51
Yeah, I do realise that, I'm just saying... 530KM/h, and the guy still has training wheels... or do comments like this need to be in the humor section?

says the guy without a bike who will probably need trainers at 53kmh...

or should this be in the humour section too?

ZeroIndex
1st March 2006, 19:04
says the guy without a bike who will probably need trainers at 53kmh...
or should this be in the humour section too?

ok... that's a bit mean... I'm actually fetching my bike on Saturday in Tauranga and riding it back to Hamilton

NordieBoy
1st March 2006, 19:30
It's "riding" not "driving".

:scooter:

This has been a public service announcement on behalf of all the pedants on KB.

DirtMad
4th March 2006, 17:44
That shit`s WACK ! All class that its powered by twin hayabusa too...