PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki take note of the ZX14

Matt Bleck
15th March 2006, 07:58
This from the Latest MCN email.

Suzuki have shown they’re running scared after Kawasaki ’s ZZ-R1400 has wowed the world’s press with its scorching performance. They’ve shelved plans for an updated four-cylinder Hayabusa and now look set to introduce an all-new model, based on the radical six-cylinder Stratosphere concept that MCN revealed to the world six months ago.

If anyone as more info, or pics of this bike, can you please post it here.

Lou Girardin
15th March 2006, 08:53
It's the bloody '80s all over again.

Cajun
15th March 2006, 09:22
I highly doubt suzuki are running scared. Of the reviews i have read about the zzr1400(zx14) there isn't a great deal to be that worried about it. even just a simple update to the busa to upgrade it to the 21st century would put it pretty much on par with the zx14. This could also be a huge bluff to throw people off the trail.

I guess we have to wait for 6 months for suzuki to start annocing there 07 models, and see what they have done to the busa.

Matt Bleck
15th March 2006, 09:45
I dunno,This (http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=8948) sounds pretty impressive.

Marmoot
15th March 2006, 09:50
Nothing like an Inline-6 hypersport bike to match my inline-6 GT car........

yum..........

Cajun
15th March 2006, 10:02
yeah so it should monster a bike which is coming up to being 8 years old. so in thorey its 9 years old in design. I would think the current busa could up.

Just think the busa also gives away something like 40-45kgs in weight to the zx14. which also makes a huge difference

Matt Bleck
15th March 2006, 11:08
yeah so it should monster a bike which is coming up to being 8 years old. so in thorey its 9 years old in design. I would think the current busa could up.

Just think the busa also gives away something like 40-45kgs in weight to the zx14. which also makes a huge difference

Should be good to see what Suzuki pull out.

This is the only pic I can find, bit small tho.

Lou Girardin
15th March 2006, 11:32
Whatever Spewzuki do, it will be faster and not look like a spider on speed.

Cajun
15th March 2006, 11:38
all it is arts/moto jouros 'ideas' or 'theorys'

I think going 6 cylinder is a step in a different direction for suzuki, and i personally believe they will stick with a inline 4, most likey up to 1400cc, a true 1400 not 1352 of the zx14.

Edbear
15th March 2006, 20:18
An extra 110hp or so would be handy on the old 'F'....?????:rolleyes:

Buster
15th March 2006, 20:31
Bring on the turbo's I say ! :wait:

WINJA
15th March 2006, 21:48
dont forget wind tunnel testing , theres better returns per dollar for wind tunnel testing at these speeds than engine development , and weight reduction is important for acceleration

N4CR
15th March 2006, 21:52
Hmm... I saw a decent supercharger that is made for bike sized engines on trademe.... how about that instead of a turbo? Power everywhere, ya wouldn't even need to be in a lowish gear to wheelie on power!

Buster
15th March 2006, 22:07
dont forget wind tunnel testing , theres better returns per dollar for wind tunnel testing at these speeds than engine development , and weight reduction is important for acceleration
True about the aerodynamics but I would have thought these bikes were pretty slippery already. At top speed ya need that HP too. Its bikes like the zx that will make other manufactures pick up thier game. We seen it many times before and it wont be the last.

SARGE
16th March 2006, 07:33
the fact that the Kawasaki is still speed limited to 299 is a kick in the balls too...

not so with the Busa...

Cajun
16th March 2006, 08:38
The new busa's are limited, but they are easy enough to change, same with the kawasaki i have heard.

marty
16th March 2006, 08:48
and to think, for only $4k i can get 250hp at the back wheel of the bus...

Grahameeboy
16th March 2006, 09:03
It's the bloody '80s all over again.

You mean the good old days when you could do what you like and there wasn't Govt control........

Lou Girardin
16th March 2006, 11:36
You mean the good old days when you could do what you like and there wasn't Govt control........

What? You lost me there. Govt control over bike power?

Ixion
16th March 2006, 11:43
Oh yes indeedy. See, back in the old days the gubbermint made rules for everything. What price things could be sold for in the shops (and it was an offence for the shop to sell it for more *or* for less). What people got paid , yu name it (and it was the gubbermint gave you a wage rise - General Wage Award it was called) . Mr Muldoon was the last and greatest exponent.

One of the early things they regulated was the power of motorcycles (and cars). So, a 350cc was only allowed to have 2.75hp. A 500cc only allowed 3.5hp (Cars similar - eg 800 - 1000cc was only allowed 8hp, so you had the Morris 8 f'instance ). So, in old magazines etc you may see references to a "two and three quarter" or a "three and a half".

So if you wanted to tune your bike up, you had to apply for a special approval certificate (MVPT13 if memory serves me correctly) , and swear before a JP that you would not increase the power beyond the permitted maximum for the size.

DemonWolf
16th March 2006, 15:04
Ixion.. you keep on amasing me with your wealth of knowledge! Keep it coming dude! =)

Lou Girardin
16th March 2006, 15:08
Wasn't that RAC ratings? A calculated HP not measured on a dyno.

Ixion
16th March 2006, 15:49
Dyno ? Those new fangled things hadn't been invented grasshopper. They measured horsepower the good old way. With horses. Two 500cc bikes on one end of rope. Seven horses on the other. Pulling in opposite directions. If the bike won, the bike was illegal.

Darkman
16th March 2006, 16:09
If anyone as more info, or pics of this bike, can you please post it here.

might look something like this one!

Buster
16th March 2006, 16:15

I like that.. ALOT!! :headbang:

Matt Bleck
16th March 2006, 17:17

Thanks for that, bling awarded!!