PDA

View Full Version : Scottish biker fails in “Taxi-Bike” licence attempt

Bob
22nd March 2006, 23:47
Motorcycle instructor Martin Morrison has failed in his bid to be Scotland’s first licensed two-wheeled private hire driver. Councillors, who admitted that they had been quite keen on the idea when it was first mooted at an earlier meeting, voted against it after hearing the views of two police motorcycle training officers.

Morrison had pointed out to the council that there were already licenced two-wheelers carrying paying passengers elsewhere in the UK. But evidence from police rider Sergeant Alan Hogarth appears to have been the deciding factor. Hogarth said “If it was someone with no experience of motor cycles at all, I would probably not take them on the pillion unless there was a very good reason that I had to take them.” He also cited Scotland’s changeable weather as another factor “There is nothing worse than being on a motorcycle when it is cold – it can affect your concentration” he said “It is a fact that in an accident you are a lot more vulnerable on a motorcycle – end of story.”

Hogarth finished by saying there were too many “ifs and buts” for him to be happy with the proposal.

As mentioned above, other regions have successful licenced motorcycle taxis running – London has had them for over a decade. But clearly an experienced instructor does not have the experience to undertake at least a pilot scheme in the eyes of East Lothian Police.

jonbuoy
23rd March 2006, 12:08
I hate going pillion at the best of times - let alone pillion on a taxi bike!

C_A
23rd March 2006, 13:03
hahah yeah, would likely come out fairly battered after every fare

Bob
23rd March 2006, 23:29
I hate going pillion at the best of times - let alone pillion on a taxi bike!

Not a fan of riding pillion either... but in London we've had three (if memory serves correctly) very successful taxibike companies running for over a decade. Their riders have to pass advanced training and have over 10 years experience of town riding. From what I've read about them, they're a very relaxing way of getting about town.

Take a look at Virgin Limobikes site for more information:

http://www.virgin.com/subsites/virginlimobike/link.html

SwanTiger
24th March 2006, 00:00
A motorcycle taxi in my opinion is an excellent idea when you take into consideration the amount of traffic congestion within some of the major cities.

The advantages would clearly be pollution reduction as well as a reduction in traffic congestion. However safety would be an issue, though like everything else, there is a risk factor and it can be minimised fairly easily.

Maybe this is something the Auckland City Council needs to consider.

Well English weather is bed enough... but scottish??

You'd be soaked before you even got on the back

Insanity_rules
29th March 2006, 12:16
Sounds like a fun idea that went before a comittee and got screwed over! Typical!