PDA

View Full Version : “Hide and Seek” organisers stunned by number of biker entrants

Bob
22nd March 2006, 23:48
Organisers of ‘Escape from London’ - billed as “The world's largest game of hide and seek” - have responded to an unexpected level of interest from bikers.

"We never really thought bikers would be interested in this event when we first set it out," says StreetSafari's Justin Clements. "However, the interest we've had from them since we launched has been impressive. As the event is very new - the first of its kind, in fact - we can change the event slightly to allow bikers to compete.”

Escaping from London on a bike is regarded as being much easier than doing so in a car, so the organisers team decided bikers can take part as Guards, attempting to spot competing cars.

The event does not have a high-speed element, but is instead based on routing and observation as teams attempt to reach two assigned checkpoints without being spotted by Guards.

More details at www.streetescape.com.

ajturbo
23rd March 2006, 09:01
now this sounds like fun....

we could try one here ...

"escape from foxton"

Ixion
23rd March 2006, 09:28
Hm. Po faced constipated lot the organisers. No alcohol, no this, no that blah blah.

But I like the idea though. I reckon this could be a cool KB thing.

"Catch a runner"

Have 2 teams of bikes. One team of bikes trying to "do a runner" to some suitable pub.The other team trying to catch members of the first team, and photo them.

No photos within 2 km of the start point or the pub. Teams start 5 km apart. Anyone who gets to the pub "uncaught" gets free drinks from the catcher team. Anyone caught buys the catcher a drink.

Anything goes I reckon for the chase and capture. Straight fast runner, clever dodging down the back streets, catchers patroling at critical points, or just catch the runners by sheer speed, whatever y'think will work . And the chase team can liase by cellphone to catch the runners

Beauty is it's a bit more interesting than just a ride, but can work both for the guys that want a straight forward fast blat, AND the folk that want to stay legal. Fast or sneaky, your choice.

Someone think of refinements. And teams. And a date and time

WRT
23rd March 2006, 09:37
Sounds like fun - only prob is how do the catchers work camera and phone with gloves and helmets on?

Ixion
23rd March 2006, 09:55
I can work a camera with gloves on. The phone liason bit, I assume that the catchers would be waiting up somewhere, helmets and gloves off - waiting for the word -"just spotted one - heading down xxx road, blue gixxer, - pursuit team GO GO GO " Then quickly gear up and CHASE .

Tactically, I'd envisage the chase team throwing a cordon of riders on fast bikes between the start point and the pub . With spotters on manoeuverable bikes heading to observation points - motorway overbridges f'instance, and major intersections along the routes they think the runners may take , to watch for the runners. Spotter sees a runner, calls him in, and the nearest chasers set off to pursue or intercept. Lots of room there for tactics and thinking, which is what I like about it. A runner could just go for a straight blast, hoping to get through before being intercepted. Or, go for sneaky back doubling through less obvious roads.

I'm assuming that start point and pub are at least a couple of hundred kilometres apart. Start could be the Albany pub, finish the Coroglen pub, f'instance . Catchers get half an hour start to get into their positions.

Rule is, the photo proof must show BOTH a readable rego number AND a front shot. That overcomes the "I photo'd him, see he's that speck in the distance" problem.Means the catcher has to get close up AND PASS. Or, intercept from in front. And means that even if a runner is spotted, he still has a chance to get away .Tactics, see.

sAsLEX
23rd March 2006, 10:02
what you need is walktie talkie comms and on board cameras, that way a forward facin cam on the catchers bike would get a pic as he closed in and the caught would get the catcher once he was passed

bugjuice
23rd March 2006, 10:11
I've heard of this before.. I used to know someone who used to play this. He had a matte black MG so it was easier to hide down the side streets..

we should play that here..

MisterD
23rd March 2006, 10:26
Could be all kinds of good fun, teams of runners sending decoys out etc etc. I'll just cheat and hire a van to stick the Lammy in the back of...

Mental Trousers
23rd March 2006, 10:45
Counter Shiite on bikes. Sounds interesting. Can I have some flash bangs please??

ajturbo
27th March 2006, 16:48
we play this in New Plymouth at night in cages

one team go and hide... then txt/radio other team aprox map area... say from xxx street to yyy street, from sea to sachool in other directions... the other team has 20min to find them.... ANYTHING goes... up private drives, camo behind containers...... (pays to have 4 wheel drive:done: )

COP_B8
28th March 2006, 00:02
I can work a camera with gloves on. The phone liason bit, I assume that the catchers would be waiting up somewhere, helmets and gloves off - waiting for the word -"just spotted one - heading down xxx road, blue gixxer, - pursuit team GO GO GO " Then quickly gear up and CHASE .

Tactically, I'd envisage the chase team throwing a cordon of riders on fast bikes between the start point and the pub . With spotters on manoeuverable bikes heading to observation points - motorway overbridges f'instance, and major intersections along the routes they think the runners may take , to watch for the runners. Spotter sees a runner, calls him in, and the nearest chasers set off to pursue or intercept. Lots of room there for tactics and thinking, which is what I like about it. A runner could just go for a straight blast, hoping to get through before being intercepted. Or, go for sneaky back doubling through less obvious roads.

I'm assuming that start point and pub are at least a couple of hundred kilometres apart. Start could be the Albany pub, finish the Coroglen pub, f'instance . Catchers get half an hour start to get into their positions.

Rule is, the photo proof must show BOTH a readable rego number AND a front shot. That overcomes the "I photo'd him, see he's that speck in the distance" problem.Means the catcher has to get close up AND PASS. Or, intercept from in front. And means that even if a runner is spotted, he still has a chance to get away .Tactics, see.

Well the government has happily funded numerous perfectly capable camera's on large poles for us to avoid.

ZorsT
28th March 2006, 19:33
the bikes taking the photos should have a pillion...

the pillion uses the camera, while the rider rides where he needs to ride, and concentrates on riding...

RiderInBlack
28th March 2006, 20:23
Could use those kids' Lazer Tagger things. Make the "Runners" wear the tagg detecting suits (ya know, the one the light-up & buzz when ya "hit") and the "Cops" could use the Lazer Tagging guns ta try and "Shoot" the Runners. I assume these things show a record of "hits" on them. Then again we could use paint guns:nya: :dodge::devil2: Slipping on a wet paint ball mark would be a problem but would work well on a Dirt Bike version of this played on a farm.